Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I suppose that they never considered they could beat PlayStation by just offering a better console with better games.
Phil literally said this wouldn't work lol. The guy is a huckster of the highest order. I mean, if anything has been revealed about this guy over the past few months, it's not just that he will say anything, but actually that the guy is kinda a giant piece of :poop:. Just read his emails, listen to his testimony, and put it all together.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Well if this goes through then you will see how Sony will turn into aggressively buying publishers themselves. I wouldn’t only expect Square Enix, probably also Capcom on top of it. Sony would have zero obstacles to justify it.

Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You can’t really fight with a trillion dollar corpo and win. Add in that said corporation buys politicians.
Then they lost, because MS play was always obvious. Sony should partner with Apple, Amazon or Google then before MS buys up all their partners and destroy their business.

Sony can't spend $30B in acquisitions to save their most important subsidiary? Then RIP Sony.

Xbox has been extremely vulnerable and Sony chose to let it hang around. They chose to bet regulator were going to stop this. They chose to play nice with MS and trust them as partners.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don’t really care what the judge decides at the end of the day. MS still has to get through the CMA block. All this talk about closing without them approving is pretty BS to me.
Yeah that's what it seems like to me, especially if the next CMA hearing is after the deadline? MS closing over the CMA would be pretty outrageous and, I assume, trigger a bunch of attention they wouldn't want.

• brain

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Something else, if Sony is weak enough that MS buying ABK will take them out then they are stupid and deserve it for taking it without trying to fight fire with fire.

PlayStation position late last gen and early this gen is way too strong. If Sony doesn't have the will or money to fight MS for this market than they should sell or partner with a company that has both the will and the money to do it.

I have a bad feeling that Sony has already given up

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yeah that's what it seems like to me, especially if the next CMA hearing is after the deadline? MS closing over the CMA would be pretty outrageous and, I assume, trigger a bunch of attention they wouldn't want.
We got all we could want from these hearings. We have all the proof of what MS wants to do, we know they tried or considered to buy Sega, Square Enix, etc, addition to Bethesda and ABK, we know they intent to use their money to kill PlayStation.

Now we find out what the PlayStation division is made of.

I have a bad feeling that Sony has already given up
Same. I think they believe console is on the way out too thus the pivot to GaaS and PC.

Jim Ryan's PlayStation just doesn't seem to share the same vision and ambition they previously had. It's all good so far but they just act too passive and too conservatively as if the business division was just about maximizing profits while they transition away from consoles.

No will to compete with Nintendo on the portable front, accepting their position as Valve's bitch on PC, no will to answer MS aggressiveness in kind, no will to get dirty on the PR front to choke out Xbox while it is still weak.

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Yeah exactly. People seem to falling for MS’s fear tactics and not realizing the legal ramifications they would face if they try and close in the face of the CMA block and while they’re trying to appeal also.

If you’re going to close the deal regardless why do the appeal in the first place? It’s all shenanigans from MS.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
True but she quickly rectified by saying "In some ways", she meant it being able to be able to play on a tv and then "take it to the airport", but it's funnier out of context
What on Earth does that have to do with this case either way? Why was she even talking about it?

• thinking_hard

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
True but she quickly rectified by saying "In some ways", she meant it being able to be able to play on a tv and then "take it to the airport", but it's funnier out of context

In a broad context it is better. Mainly because it differentiated itself more.

I'm not saying Sony should go handheld or hybrid or anything... maybe all they need to do is stay traditional and keep supporting disc, while Xbox / msft go moving to fully digital and cloud.

But they definitely need to be different to Microsoft / Xbox and stop following their every move.

They need confidence to be themselves and to serve their customers and stop looking at trends and then showing up late to that trend.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Yeah exactly. People seem to falling for MS’s fear tactics and not realizing the legal ramifications they would face if they try and close in the face of the CMA block and while they’re trying to appeal also.

If you’re going to close the deal regardless why do the appeal in the first place? It’s all shenanigans from MS.
A ploy to try and get the AKB to extend the deadline. Kottick already indirectly confirmed if this is blocked by the FTC they're done. Which means if they don't get blocked they will probably extend since there's still hope.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
A ploy to try and get the AKB to extend the deadline. Kottick already indirectly confirmed if this is blocked by the FTC they're done. Which means if they don't get blocked they will probably extend since there's still hope.

Which they still might not even do anyway.

The CMA is just another long process to block the deal again.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Unless MS quits for good do you think they'll stop if the CMA blocks the deal?

Unless Nadella gets tired of this they'll go for other publishers, they already said it, they'll do it even if the ABK deal closes. If they are willing to bleed for long enough the plan will work at some point and pretty much kill the PlayStation business if Sony just takes it.