Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
they can i guess but it would have grave consequences. But its very unlikely because another major market blocked the deal. They wouldnt want to fight two major regulators at once and lose billions from each side. the closing over the CMA is more likely because they would be the only major market blocking the deal, If the ftc loses their PI. The US is also way more important then the UK to them. if the pi isn't giving then MS closes it or extends the deadline for the CAT
Closing over the CMA would have grave consequences. It would start with fines, and end with Microsoft broken up into many smaller toothless companies.

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023
Closing over the CMA would have grave consequences. It would start with fines, and end with Microsoft broken up into many smaller toothless companies.
A foreign country cant break up a American company. All the CMA can do is forbid MS/ABK from doing business in the uk. They would have to go to court for that though. I think the CMA will be satisfied with fining MS billions and then settle with them after the fact. but thats only If the FTC loses. because of comity. 1 country shouldn't be able to decide if a deal falls apart imo.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
A foreign country cant break up a American company. All the CMA can do is forbid MS/ABK from doing business in the uk. They would have to go to court for that though. I think the CMA will be satisfied with fining MS billions and then settle with them after the fact. but thats only If the FTC loses. because of comity. 1 country shouldn't be able to decide if a deal falls apart imo.
The fines are recurring, MS would lose most of their global revenue in the end, and the breakup would be directed by the US government. A company blatantly ignoring regulators and giving off the idea that its above the law of sovereign nations is going to draw their ire and that behaviour will be stomped out quickly.

Comity has no bearing here.

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023
The fines are recurring, MS would lose most of their global revenue in the end, and the breakup would be directed by the US government. A company blatantly ignoring regulators and giving off the idea that its above the law of sovereign nations is going to draw their ire and that behaviour will be stomped out quickly.

Comity has no bearing here.
im not sure how fines work with the CMA, but MS will lose millions or billions. But they seem willing to do it if it comes down to that. Not sure why you think the U.S will get involved if the PI is denied. US wouldn't care because they already ruled on it. What the CMA and Microsoft do, is not their concern if the PI is denied. Its a fight between MS and the CMA. No other major regulator would care because they all said yes. Again they would only close if the CMA is the only major regulator blocking the deal. That COULD happen but i dont think it will. Comity is a real thing. No merger should be blocked because 1 country said no.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Edmund

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Holy shit you really don’t know how this works do you????

The CMA is one of the major regulators that’s required to approve the deal if MS and Activision want to close the deal. MS cannot buy Activision without the CMA approval which is why they’re trying to appeal their decision in the first place.

What the hell do you mean one country shouldn’t be able to decide on a deal? That’s EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS!!!! MS and Activision need ALL REGULATORY APPROVALS. They can’t go against established laws because only one or two block them from buying Activision. The amount doesn’t matter. If they do they will have to face the illegal consequences.

This is not the first time CMA was the only regulator that decided against a deal. They’ve been the lone ranger before.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

The CMA is one of the major regulators that’s required to approve the deal if MS and Activision want to close the deal. MS cannot buy Activision without the CMA approval which is why they’re trying to appeal their decision in the first place.

What the hell do you mean one country shouldn’t be able to decide on a deal? That’s EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS!!!! MS and Activision need ALL REGULATORY APPROVALS. They can’t go against established laws because only one or two block them from buying Activision. The amount doesn’t matter. If they do they will have to face the illegal consequences.

This is not the first time CMA was the only regulator that decided against a deal. They’ve been the lone ranger before.
If they loses the appeal they have to wait a while to re-appeal
If they wins the appeal, it will goes back to the CMA to block it again.

So basically it's the definition of insanity

Reactions: On Demand

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
bobby said if the pi is granted their walking away. Microsoft lawyer also stated that this pi decides if this deal goes ahead or not. This was all said during the FTC trial. So this is pretty much saying the deal will go ahead if the pi is denied. This whole trial is determining if this deal does through or not. That was the whole point. No clue why you're saying bobby said the deal won't go ahead if the pi is denied. Never did he say that.
Why are you pretending CMA doesn’t exist. The deal is still dead.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
If they loses the appeal they have to wait a while to re-appeal
If they wins the appeal, it will goes back to the CMA to block it again.

So basically it's the definition of insanity
It’s why it’s already blocked.

This deal is teaching Americans that they’re not above the law and that the world doesn’t revolve around them.
Shocking, I know.

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023

The contract can or has been amended to drop the cma requirement. Nobody really knows the answer except for ABK and MS. MS either closes or extends if the pi isn't granted. We will know the answer very soon(24 hours)

1 country destroying a merger when the rest of the world said it's fine is a bad predecent. Comity is a thing for a reason.

I don't know any major merger where the CMA blocked it, and killed it, and the rest of world said okay. What's the case you're referring to?

We shall see very soon. July 18th is rapidly approaching and the judge makes her decision tomorrow.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
The contract can or has been amended to drop the cma requirement. Nobody really knows the answer except for ABK and MS. MS either closes or extends if the pi isn't granted. We will know the answer very soon(24 hours)

1 country destroying a merger when the rest of the world said it's fine is a bad predecent. Comity is a thing for a reason.

I don't know any major merger where the CMA blocked it and the rest of world said okay. What's the case you're referring to?

We shall see very soon. July 18th is rapidly approaching and the judge makes her decision tomorrow.
Contract between the companies doesn't matter. It breaks the law of a country that banned the deal.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

I don't know any major merger where the CMA blocked it, and killed it, and the rest of world said okay. What's the case you're referring to?

Show me where it says the contract can be changed to ignore the CMA? I’ve never seen it heard of such a thing. There are laws to follow when corporations want to buy other corporations. That’s a 100% non speculative fact.

You keep bringing up 1 country shouldn’t be able to do so and so while still ignoring that’s how regulatory process works. If it didn’t matter there would no need for it to exist at all then.

And other countries have yet to make a decision by the way.

The CMA blocking other deals was posted on trashera to bring people back to reality for the same arguments you’re making right now. I’ll have to find those post.

Reactions: KingOfTheDead

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Dropping the CMA requirement won’t mean a thing. It’ll still be blocked by CMA, just like they blocked the META/Giphy acquisition. They are subject to regulations wherever they want to operate and they can’t, and won’t, leave the UK. That’s not going to happen.
There’s no way to circumvent the CMA decision, this is all delusion spread by Xbox leaning forums on the internet and has no base in reality.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Show me where it says the contract can be changed to ignore the CMA? I’ve never seen it heard of such a thing. There are laws to follow when corporations want to buy other corporations. That’s a 100% non speculative fact.

You keep bringing up 1 country shouldn’t be able to do so and so while still ignoring that’s how regulatory process works. If it didn’t matter there would no need for it to exist at all then.

And other countries have yet to make a decision by the way.

The CMA blocking other deals was posted on trashera to bring people back to reality for the same arguments you’re making right now. I’ll have to find those post.
Also, it’s false that the rest of the world is fine with this deal.
All english speaking territories - where Xbox has some sort of relevance - US, Australia, New Zealand, Canadá, UK and others are concerned about the deal.

The deal passed on the rest of the world where Xbox is irrelevant: non English speaking countries.

Unfortunately for the Xbots, CMA isn’t corrupt. They forced the financial system to open itself by creating open banking on UK. The financial system is more relevant than Microsoft and if they can do that, they can block a gaming merger.

Hence, deal is dead.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Before the final decision arrived, my final opinions regarding this whole shitshow are:
1. If deal is blocked: thank God because evil empire m$ need to be stopped. If m$ evil plan to buy the whole gaming market for themselves need to be stopped, now it's the right time to do it. It's now or never situation.
2. If the deal is passed: then it will be good thing for me because it will only accelerate Sony plan to acquire Square Enix and Capcom 😂.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Everyone one is saying the deal is dead. So we shall see. Lets see who's right and whos wrong tomorrow.
What does tomorrow have anything to do with the deal being dead or not? The only thing we might get tomorrow, is the U.S.' judge ruling on the preliminary injunction. If it is granted, the FTC gets more time. It's a temporary block, the case still goes to court later. Activision stated that they're pulling out of that happens. That's on them.

If it isn't approved, the court case still happens in August.

I have no idea where you get the idea that this PI is what determines the outcome of the entire case.

And that's just the U.S. Not counting the CMA.