Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Before the final decision arrived, my final opinions regarding this whole shitshow are:
1. If deal is blocked: thank God because evil empire m$ need to be stopped. If m$ evil plan to buy the whole gaming market for themselves need to be stopped, now it's the right time to do it. It's now or never situation.
2. If the deal is passed: then it will be good thing for me because it will only accelerate Sony plan to acquire Square Enix and Capcom 😂.
Sony will be more agressive with their M&A plan whether Microsoft/ABK's deal dead or alive, they just sold their financial part like months ago.

Not all companies has a for sale sign outside though. In case of Square Enix, when they sold their Western division, I think they already looking to be absorbed by Sony.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Not all companies has a for sale sign outside though. In case of Square Enix, when they sold their Western division, I think they already looking to be absorbed by Sony.
They have to, by any means necessary to acquire Capcom and SE before m$ make a move on them lol.

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023
What does tomorrow have anything to do with the deal being dead or not? The only thing we might get tomorrow, is the U.S.' judge ruling on the preliminary injunction. If it is granted, the FTC gets more time. It's a temporary block, the case still goes to court later. Activision stated that they're pulling out of that happens. That's on them.

If it isn't approved, the court case still happens in August.

I have no idea where you get the idea that this PI is what determines the outcome of the entire case.

And that's just the U.S. Not counting the CMA.
Tomorrow decides if the deal goes ahead or dies. If the PI is granted the deal is dead. Both parties have already said this. Not directly, but heavily implied it. If it's not granted MS closes or extendes. FTC never takes it to a federal court again if they lose the PI. So no.

That court date in August is moot because the injunction failed so MS can close whenever they want in the us regardless of their court date. Because their is no order prevented them from closing.

It determines if the deal is alive or dead. A extension means it's very alive and not dead like many seem to think on this thread. This is my last comment on this until the pi verdict is announced.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Also, it’s false that the rest of the world is fine with this deal.
All english speaking territories - where Xbox has some sort of relevance - US, Australia, New Zealand, Canadá, UK and others are concerned about the deal.

The deal passed on the rest of the world where Xbox is irrelevant: non English speaking countries.

Unfortunately for the Xbots, CMA isn’t corrupt. They forced the financial system to open itself by creating open banking on UK. The financial system is more relevant than Microsoft and if they can do that, they can block a gaming merger.

Hence, deal is dead.

Yeah that too. People keep saying it’s only the CMA. No it’s. It’s more countries than that. CMA and FTC are just the first to block the deal. The rest have the same concerns as CMA.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Tomorrow decides if the deal goes ahead or dies. If the PI is granted the deal is dead. Both parties have already said this. Not directly, but heavily implied it. If it's not granted MS closes or extendes. FTC never takes it to a federal court again if they lose the PI. So no.

That court date in August is moot because the injunction failed so MS can close whenever they want in the us regardless of their court date. Because their is no order prevented them from closing.

It determines if the deal is alive or dead. A extension means it's very alive and not dead like many seem to think on this thread. This is my last comment on this until the pi verdict is announced.
so many foul sentences.
i am glad that it is the last comment of this fallacy.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS and reziel

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
so many foul sentences.
i am glad that it is the last comment of this fallacy.
Ehh he will keep going I'd recommend putting him on ignore since he's definitely not here with reasonable intentions.

Yeah that too. People keep saying it’s only the CMA. No it’s. It’s more countries than that. CMA and FTC are just the first to block the deal. The rest have the same concerns as CMA.
People keep saying that because it doesn't fit in their heads that anyone outside of the big 3 of the contract against it they don't want to include in the concerns. But yet anyone who is for it that isn't apart of the big 3 matter which doesn't make an logical sense.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

False. MS can’t close without the CMA.
The deal is still dead.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
False. MS can’t close without the CMA.
The deal is still dead.

Then why even try to over come the FTC? Does winning over FTC just put pressure on CMA? Even then CMA can still say no unless CAT throws it back at them to re-assess if CAT agree's there's no merrit to block?

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Then why even try to over come the FTC? Does winning over FTC just put pressure on CMA? Even then CMA can still say no unless CAT throws it back at them to re-assess if CAT agree's there's no merrit to block?

Imagine you’re doing billions of dollars worth of a deal with another company and they’re showing no effort to try and make the transaction go trough. No matter how futile the outcome will be.

It’s all show.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
2 reasons.

They can still appeal and that's what they're doing in the CMA's case. The second being is that they're legally required to fight this, regardless of how the outcome might look. As long as there's a legal way to fight this, they have to try. They made a commitment to their shareholders when it was decided to pursue this and they have to stick with it. Until the shareholders decide they've had enough or Activision themselves pull out, no pun intended.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
A foreign country cant break up a American company. All the CMA can do is forbid MS/ABK from doing business in the uk. They would have to go to court for that though. I think the CMA will be satisfied with fining MS billions and then settle with them after the fact. but thats only If the FTC loses. because of comity. 1 country shouldn't be able to decide if a deal falls apart imo.

Sure, Jan

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
The contract can or has been amended to drop the cma requirement. Nobody really knows the answer except for ABK and MS. MS either closes or extends if the pi isn't granted. We will know the answer very soon(24 hours)

1 country destroying a merger when the rest of the world said it's fine is a bad predecent. Comity is a thing for a reason.

I don't know any major merger where the CMA blocked it, and killed it, and the rest of world said okay. What's the case you're referring to?

We shall see very soon. July 18th is rapidly approaching and the judge makes her decision tomorrow.
When will you learn the the CMA is required regardless of it being on the contract or not? They cannot go above the laws of the UK.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
im not sure how fines work with the CMA, but MS will lose millions or billions. But they seem willing to do it if it comes down to that. Not sure why you think the U.S will get involved if the PI is denied. US wouldn't care because they already ruled on it. What the CMA and Microsoft do, is not their concern if the PI is denied. Its a fight between MS and the CMA. No other major regulator would care because they all said yes. Again they would only close if the CMA is the only major regulator blocking the deal. That COULD happen but i dont think it will. Comity is a real thing. No merger should be blocked because 1 country said no.

If a company wants to operate on a global scale, then one country should be able to block a merger. As well, regulators are assessing mergers based on the consumers in their country and how it impacts them and competition. A 'one size fits all' viewpoint on that is ludicrous.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Yeah, the idea that you can get something through in one jurisdiction because other completely separate jurisdictions have cleared it is ridiculous.

Let me say that the deal is definitively dead, but my prediction that MS won't dare to close over the CMA is based on the fact that I don't expect them to act in an ultimately suicidal and illegal way.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Got an update from idas on re, and pretty much sounds like even with a denied pi, this deal closing is a long shot, lots of small pin holes ms will have to thread thru and hitting all of them will require an extension between them and abk, the cma budging and some of their appeals and remedies being accepted by the cma (they wont budge), all are very unlikely.

Reactions: Edmund

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yeah, the idea that you can get something through in one jurisdiction because other completely separate jurisdictions have cleared it is ridiculous.

Let me say that the deal is definitively dead, but my prediction that MS won't dare to close over the CMA is based on the fact that I don't expect them to act in an ultimately suicidal and illegal way.
MS acting in illegal ways is what I always expect.