Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It's funny how people tend to forget that Playstation has been around since 1994 and were (and still are) doing fine. Then Microsoft jumped in with the Xbox in 2001 for bragging rights thats a whole 7 years gap yet people still believe they need a competitor.
What are you talking about? They had two strong, direct, competitors there (Nintendo and Sega) and at least three small and shitty ones (Atari, Philips and 3DO/Panasonic.)

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What I'm a bit curious about is why MS and their shills were so annoyed that Jim Ryan wasn't physically at the trial. Why does it matter?
It doesn't, they are just grasping at straws. Sony wasn't a plaintiff or defendant either, just part of the witness list.

24 Jun 2022
It's funny how people tend to forget that Playstation has been around since 1994 and were (and still are) doing fine. Then Microsoft jumped in with the Xbox in 2001 for bragging rights thats a whole 7 years gap yet people still believe they need a competitor.

And the thing is, back in '94 Sony already had other competitors. They had Sega, Nintendo, 3DO, NEC, Atari. And Sony offered something better to the market for that time than any of the other competitors.

But for some reason Microsoft has to be "the" competitor for Sony in gaming, or somehow we'll end up with Arrogant Sony. When the PS3 wasn't even about being arrogant, but overambitious. Arrogance would mean advertising a console as "most powerful" that ends up coming up short in most multiplat releases and having very little that looks up to the level of 1P releases from a competitor on the "less powerful" system, and yet still having shills push a false power narrative online.

Or, arrogance would be to harp about a single 3P JRPG IP choosing to not prioritize your console brand for release as if you're entitled to get those games simply because your console exists. That's actual arrogance, IMO.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
The ruling is only whether to let the case proceed or not. I think it will be a quick one (at the currently assumed timeline, that is) and will be for the FTC. Remember, this doesn't mean that they win or even that they are likely to, its only whether they have any case at all.
Well my point was that her ruling could ko the ftc thereby allowing ms to close in USA, thats why i said to her its a big deal and need more time most likely

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Well my point was that her ruling could ko the ftc thereby allowing ms to close in USA, thats why i said to her its a big deal and need more time most likely
They could probably rush it if they are deciding for MS and just have to rush the writing, but I already said they probably aren't for this preliminary hearing, at which point it doesn't make much difference.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
What are you talking about? They had two strong, direct, competitors there (Nintendo and Sega) and at least three small and shitty ones (Atari, Philips and 3DO/Panasonic.)
Ideally there should be a Western option.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
"ideally" for who and why? do you request a "western" option for all the brands you buy. so weird.
The West (notably North America) has a great deal of influence over the zeitgeist. I consider it culturally healthy to have major American contenders in every aspect of video games.

The competition should reflect who’s buying the games, don’t you think?

Last edited: