Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The West (notably North America) has a great deal of influence over the zeitgeist. I consider it culturally healthy to have major America contenders in every aspect of video games.

The competition should reflect who’s buying the games, don’t you think?
If Xbox represents the "American Zeitgeist," as an American, I want no part of it.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The West (notably North America) has a great deal of influence over the zeitgeist. I consider it culturally healthy to have major American contenders in every aspect of video games.

The competition should reflect who’s buying the games, don’t you think?
EA, Activision, 2K and hundred more devs are in USA.

You don't need the actual console to be american like you don't need the TV to be american.

Last edited:

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
At this point in time its super hard for a new competitor. It would take a company like AMazon, Apple, Google with full backing financially to have a start up. unless they used an already existing brand.

Microsoft when they entered had the money and had the people with connections to PC Graphic designers/developers. So they courted a lot of PC developers since they were showing off Direct X 9 and the things you could do with it to many studios.
Who else has that connection in tech? Apple really is the only one comparable.
And I dont trust apple to make gamer like decisions for their software/Hardware.

Case in point their VR headset is Dead on arrival at $3500.

We need Xbox to push Playstastion. Issue is their direction will kill the industry.
Nintendo made a console and sold it to the Americans when the gaming industry was so dead there, nobody had faith in video games anymore. That was challenging as hell and Nintendo nailed it, SEGA countered Nintendo despite the fact that Nintendo had a total monopoly on the gaming market at that time. So nothing is impossible, and it is quite silly to say these corporations (no need to be on Google level) don’t have the resources needed to enter the market. What these corporations lack are the passion and commitment, they want to ripe the result quick. Also, I never like the big tech like Amazon or Google to enter this market, they will just make another bullshit subscription services or cloud-based gaming.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
To who’s benefit is it that all console hardware come from Japanese companies?
IDK, that's like asking to whose benefit is it that the majority of the internet is run by American tech giants. We're talking about video game consoles here, not nuclear codes. MS' attempt and people's willingness to go along with this West vs East narrative when it comes to entertainment brands might be the silliest thing to come out of all this.

What is your ultimate rationale in caring about the country that the brand that makes your video games comes from, when MS makes the Xbox's in the same Chinese factories as Sony and Nintendo.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Why does it matter for video games where the hardware came from? Is it the same for cars, microwaves, GPUs or TVs? What phone do you use?

I've never thought about where the console came from while playing a game. Ever.

Video games are not a special category. We don't need a console for each nation.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
People that don't want a Microsoft console (as in the vast majority of people).

Despite spending billions and billions buying IPs, studios, publishers, pushing cheap consoles and cheap discounted services less than 1 out of every 5 consoles sold are an Xbox these days. The public has completely rejected Xbox vision for games.

The US is the biggest video game market and it rejected the Xbox multiple times as well. This has nothing to do with USA vs Japan.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
IDK, that's like asking to whose benefit is it that the majority of the internet is run by American tech giants. We're talking about video game consoles here, not nuclear codes. MS' attempt and people's willingness to go along with this West vs East narrative when it comes to entertainment brands might be the silliest thing to come out of all this.

What is your ultimate rationale in caring about the country that the brand that makes your video games comes from, when MS makes the Xbox's in the same Chinese factories as Sony and Nintendo.
Japan and the West have a storied history in their design distinctions. Look into it.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Japan and the West have a storied history in their design distinctions. Look into it.
What is with this talking down to other posters?

I thought only I was allowed to do that.

Edit: Was just goofing around.

Last edited: