Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
FTC spokesperson Douglas Farrar said the antitrust regulator was "disappointed in this outcome given the clear threat this merger poses to open competition in cloud gaming, subscription services, and consoles. In the coming days we'll be announcing our next step to continue our fight to preserve competition and protect consumers."

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Star Trek Borg GIF

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I don’t see the point of any regulatory companies when the courts can just override everything.

FTC is basically useless in that instance.

The U.K. being independent is how all regulations should be.
Sadly that's how the rich/corporations have designed most political systems around the world. Anything too threatening to them can just be shot down by a group of unelected people called judges.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Few days ago, I knew that I'm already preparing for both sides scenario, but still I don't like the actual outcome 😔. A lot to take for today.

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
one of the most miserable things i have seen xcucos do its using the workers rights to paint this deal on a good light,miserable mother trucker,you and your kind never cared about workers rights,i know is hard for shistains like you to be honest,but once ,for one time be honest,this is about xbox domination,plain and simple,and pieces of shit like you want this
Lmao I am a massive advocate for unionization and fucking over corporations for the sake of the working class and public.

That's the great thing about being smart and not some fanboy. I couldn't give a shit about Microsoft as a company and I hope we elect politicians that go for their insane profits and low taxes.

But keep everything to the console space because that's all you care about. Plastic boxes from your childhood.

Xbox is just one platform. I'd have many different platforms to main if they went out of business. You're acting like your life is over if Xbox get a little more market share.

Also, lmao, Xbox domination. I want Call of Duty on Nintendo and I've been saying Activision is dumb AF for years for not doing it.
That doesn’t explain how that is good for anyone besides Microsoft itself (which includes their workers) 😂
Also, did you know that massive mergers like this ends up in major layoffs for redundant jobs? 😂
This sucks for pretty much everyone besides shareholders.
Corporations are soulless entities. Workers are people that should be protected. They are in no way the same thing and that shows your priorities.

To your second part, that's why we need an expansion of unionization and legislation that outlaws profitable companies from mass layoffs.

It’s not a hyperbole. MS has always done this.
Buy products, destroy that product, mass layoffs, dominate market. Rinse and release. They’re doing this now with gaming. The next 10/15 years will be massively different and for the worst.
We’re fucked.
So what about gaming today is currently destroyed since 2001 because of Microsoft? How is ABK going to change that.

This is a pretty shitty deal for those of us who prefer to game on PlayStation. MS plan to keep buying until there's nothing left for us to play.
So first off, the slippery slope of Microsoft buying everything is just incorrect. They couldn't buy Bungie, Square Enix, or Sega before Activision.

Two, tell me all the games PlayStation 5 owners will no longer be able to play because of this deal.
Activision is more than cod. Spyro, Crash, Tony Hawk, and tons of back log IP. Blizzard is Overwatch, Diablo, WOW, warcraft, starcraft.
You know the fucking funny thing about that is? Activision has swallowed most of their internal studios to be a COD factory.

Spyro? Dead
Tony Hawk? Dead
Backlog IP? Dead

Blizzard take forever to release new games and so far all they do is Overwatch and Diablo and WOW. Warcraft 3 Reforged had a fucked up launch and StarCraft is dead.

AB is currently a shell of its former self to please the stock market and focus entirely on profits. Everyone works on COD at Activision, to the point where that new Crash game wasn't even marketed.

Maybe Activision and Blizzard can go back to more diverse releases thanks to Microsoft not needing them to be factories of a single IP. That's the plan, anyway. I want a StarCraft 3.

Reactions: Zzero

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The crazy FTC judges actually said something about this deal being bad for Sony in the court cases, so blame their dumb ass lawyers for that.
Yeah they did mentioned sony, but to be fair the CMA did also.

And the reason is the consumer who will be effected most will be those on playstation.

But yeah they should have tried to mention consumers as much as possible in place of sony.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The saddest thing is that Xbox was so close to dying due to the terrible job they have done since half-way into the 360 gen and now it's only a matter of time until they become the biggest company in traditional gaming shaping the future of the industry.

The market rejected the Xbox One, rejected Gamepass, rejected xCloud, rejected the Series and yet due to MS size they still get to move things in the direction they want against the will of most consumers.

Sony had multiple chances to kill Xbox for good but they allowed Xbox to hang around until MS decided to back up that division with limitless funds.

I'll enjoy this gen on my PS5 and by nextgen I'll probably be Linux/Retro only gamer. The golden age of Sony internal games was probably 2009-2020.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The saddest thing is that Xbox was so close to dying due to the terrible job they have done since half-way into the 360 gen and now it's only a matter of time until they become the biggest company in traditional gaming shaping the future of the industry.

The market rejected the Xbox One, rejected Gamepass, rejected xCloud, rejected the Series and yet due to MS size they still get to move things in the direction they want against the will of most consumers.

Sony had multiple chances to kill Xbox for good but they allowed Xbox to hang around until MS decided to back up that division with limitless funds.

I'll enjoy this gen on my PS5 and by nextgen I'll probably be Linux/Retro only gamer. The golden age of Sony internal games was probably 2009-2020.
Thats what I was thinking about the EU decision, and this. Like just one of you say no to them and put it out of it misery.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA

I'll enjoy this gen on my PS5 and by nextgen I'll probably be Linux only gamer.
Why would they want to kill Xbox? They were trying to compete, not actually put a platform holder out of business. Now if that happens in the process of competition, so be it, but they'd never really sought to just put them out of business. Companies with that mindset tend to become toxic and monopolistic very quickly.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs