Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
The problem now is that MS can go ahead and buy whoever they want and do whatever they want with it. If the info that went public wasn’t enough to stop them, nothing will.

The video game market is in the hands of the most creatively bankrupt corporation right now.
If anything this will do the opposite because of how big ABK is and how much it makes. They don't need to buy anything else to be competitive. So this would (should) actually make future purchases more difficult.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
If this shit goes through you might not see me here anymore or on any gaming site or forum. No way am I interacting with this hobby with MS of all corporation owning Activision and all those IP’s.

I’m done.
pfft, gave up on ms 20 years ago, they nicked and dimed the fuck out of me in college, went nearly broke paying them so i could have access to tools that i needed to complete my studies.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Name them, show them. Other than the Imnsoniac game not a single non-GaaS game is even announced. These game aren't usually announced and released a few months later, so any game yet to be announced is likely a good 2 or more years away from being released (so we are already looking at late 2025 here).
Naughty Dog has one. Sucker Punch has one. Bend Studio has one. Santa Monica is working on one, per Cory Barlog. Guerrilla is working on Horizon 3.

Just because they're not formally announced doesn't mean we don't know they're being made. We've seen the job listings and the type of projects they were for. This is the same way we know most of those GaaS titles exist.

By your logic, half their GaaS titles don't even exist then either, as they've yet to be formally announced.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PS_ROCKS

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Warning The Goldbergs GIF by ABC Network

Can we please chill out and stop attacking each other?
Get along.
If you can not, just block each other. Simple.
I can see that the veil has finally fallen from some and Staff have noticed.
Staring I See You GIF by QuikTrip

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Naughty Dog has one. Sucker Punch has one. Bend Studio has one. Santa Monica is working on one, per Cory Barlog.

Just because they're not formally announced doesn't mean we don;t know they're being made. By that logic, half their GaaS titles don't even exist.
Great, we'll get to enjoy them in 2026 or later, impressive.

The problem now is that MS can go ahead and buy whoever they want and do whatever they want with it. If the info that went public wasn’t enough to stop them, nothing will.

The video game market is in the hands of the most creatively bankrupt corporation right now.
Yep, those documents existed all along, pretty much laying out MS plans to outspend PlayStation out of business. Any regulator that was interested saw them yet with all that the deal ended up being approved pretty much everywhere and where it wasn't MS was able to bully regulators into buckling so it was all a big display of how MS get to do whatever they want.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
If anything this will do the opposite because of how big ABK is and how much it makes. They don't need to buy anything else to be competitive. So this would (should) actually make future purchases more difficult.
This is what I’m expecting it happens, but I’m not that hopeful.

Reactions: reziel

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Name them, show them. Other than the Imnsoniac game not a single non-GaaS game is even announced. These game aren't usually announced and released a few months later, so any game yet to be announced is likely a good 2 or more years away from being released (so we are already looking at late 2025 here)

Huh? Team Asobi is working on SP game, Sucker Punch too. Bend too. Why doomposting

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Huh? I think we will see Sucker's game much earlier than that
So they better announce it soon. The last single player game made by PlayStation was announced almost 2 years ago and will release more than 2 years after it was first announced.

Right now second party and third party deals are covering the massive drought of traditional releases.

Untitled.png

Investment in Live Services is still ramping up while it will take close to 6 years for investment in traditional games to comeback to pre-Covid levels.

If this is their plan to go against this new MS that is buying up everything than it's over for them.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
What a nightmare though for the industry and gamers overall. I fear Microsoft won't stop here. We know their end game now, if they can buy the biggest publisher then, what's really off limits now?

FTC filing this injunction fully backfired.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I'm pretty sure the opposite reasoning can be applied. If none of the arguments applied to the biggest multiplatform publisher around, then no argument would be able to work for even smaller japanese publishers. This block was needed as a ceiling on how far MS would be allowed to go. Letting this acquisition through means there is absolutely no publisher big or small that isn't allowed, as they now have the precedence from the courts for it.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
What a nightmare though for the industry and gamers overall. I fear Microsoft won't stop here. We know their end game now, if they can buy the biggest publisher then, what's really off limits now?

FTC filing this injunction fully backfired.
As opposed to... not filing it and letting it go through regardless?

Nah, the biggest issue was that a judge who knows NOTHING about gaming was the one deciding its future.