Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I know this idea is unpopular with many, but a strategic joint venture with a larger company like Amazon, etc. (not a full merger or acquisition) would likely help to ensure PlayStation’s foothold in the gaming industry.
Why would they do that though? When they are more then capable of acquiring companies to stay competetive.

"Partnerships" and "Joint ventures" are temporary things, they need something permanent like acquistions.

It's now on sony if they want to keep their finger up their backside and not acquire anyone big.

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
yup!
Sony needs to be on the phone with T2 asap because there is no reality where them buying T2 is blocked. A few cloud remedies and you good.
This acquisition set precedence, you want to merge? then you can in this climate.
You are aware just because Microsoft succeeds in a merger doesn't mean Sony will, right?

They have a 4:1 advantage in Europe. How does the EC allow Sony the opportunity to own GTA. Xbox didn't have a console SLC because they are a distant competitor. Sony is the market leader by multiple times.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
I never said they saw the deal. People are acting like this process is because of corruption and if the result favors MS, it's corrupt.

You've implied it. Logically you can't approve if something you don't see, but CMA did, that's happened.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
You are aware just because Microsoft succeeds in a merger doesn't mean Sony will, right?

They have a 4:1 advantage in Europe. How does the EC allow Sony the opportunity to own GTA. Xbox didn't have a console SLC because they are a distant competitor. Sony is the market leader by multiple times.

And Microsoft has a 25:1 advantage to Sony in the tech market as a whole when going off market cap valuation...an advantage they 100% leveraged in buying ABK, BTW.

Convenient you ignored that part. If Sony offered the right concessions to a T2 purchase, the EC would allow it. Unless you agree with the idea they are corrupted by a MS-associated person being added to their board via literally changing the rules of entrance?

It's amazing how some of you are blatantly trying to confine any arguments against Sony pursuing a big acquisition on relative console market positions, without even realizing that regulatory bodies do not have an issue with natural monopolies that form from the customers in a market choosing one option over another. Why do you think there are no investigations into Steam's market dominance?

And yes, if Sony were guilty of doing genuinely anticompetitive practices to gain their market share in console gaming, various institutional bodies across the world (the SEC here in America for example) could have launched investigations years ago, and don't give me the "gaming was too small back then" talk. Nintendo was investigated in the late '80s/early '90s and lost an antitrust case in the US over their own gaming practices at the time, in a significantly smaller market.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This whole thing makes it look like the FTC caught wind of whatever capitulation was happening in the UK when they filed for a preliminary injunction.

Thank god that Marcus Smith was as unamused by the farce that is this adjournment request as everyone else.

Relevant tweets from Derek as I wasn't able to follow along live.

Why can't we see the new deal?

Marcus Smith casts doubt on new deal being materially different. Beard later argues it's in relation to what is being acquired (within ABK?), not who is acquiring whom.

Whatever happened must have happened in the last 3 weeks, or the parties aren't squeaky clean

CMA needs to prove to the judge that there have been material changes in circumstances or special reasons under section 41-3 of the enterprise act, which they cannot do at this stage (see first tweet)

The relevant legislation
The decision of the [F1CMA] under subsection (2) shall be consistent with its decisions as included in its report by virtue of section 35(3) or (as the case may be) 36(2) unless there has been a material change of circumstances since the preparation of the report or the [F1CMA] otherwise has a special reason for deciding differently.

Basically, the CMA's decision might not be consistent with its proposed order (to block) and parties will be arguing in court over the old order while a restructured deal is being considered.

What's confusing to me is how the new deal applies to the proposed order and decision relating to the old deal. I understand why the CMA does not want it quashed (legal precedent), and I have to imagine it's explained somewhere else in the legislation.

It's claimed that this course of action is not in response to the FTC's failure in court, though you can see Microsoft and ABK lawyers arguing that the FTC is relevant (comity?) which the judge disagrees with. He also wants to understand why the late June adjournment was opposed - which is why I said earlier that what happened must have happened in the last 3 weeks, because otherwise it looks suss:

What I was evidently wrong about was fervour of the CMA's dedication to protecting consumers. It could be an air of impartiality and abidance by their duty, but they're clearly leaning towards receiving notice of a restructured deal from Microsoft, determining it to be a new relevant merger situation, and waving it through based on concessions Microsoft has indicated they will be making throughout their discussions with CMA on a workable path that preempts SLC concerns. The whole "we don't know what we'll do" act is just that.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Hermen was hired by Jim, who is the CEO.
This is exact the type of thing we used to see about Phil Spencer, dude what never held accountable for anything, it was always the fault of people around him as if he had not agency on anything.

Jim Ryan is responsible for everyone under him, specially those directly under him like Hults.

Imagine allowing MS to buy ABK and then blocking Sony from buying anything. :ROFLMAO:

There isn't a single reasonable argument to stop that, specially since MS took all Bethesda and future ABK games away from PlayStation.

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
Natalie Portman Politics GIF by Star Wars

CMA and Microsoft both somehow reaching a deal in 6 weeks, everyone celebrates

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
This is exact the type of thing we used to see about Phil Spencer, dude what never held accountable for anything, it was always the fault of people around him as if he had not agency on anything.

Jim Ryan is responsible for everyone under him, specially those directly under him like Hults.

Imagine allowing MS to buy ABK and the blocking Sony from buying anything. :ROFLMAO:
Nothing can stop Sony from buying all of Japanese publishers though, US UK EU regulators don't have any ground to block it

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Nothing can stop Sony from buying all of Japanese publishers though, US UK EU regulators don't have any ground to block it
They don't have any grounds to block anything after they allowed MS to buy ABK. Sony should be able to buy EA if they wanted and so should Microsoft according to all regulators except the FTC I guess but they have no power.

Sony competes directly against Nintendo who sells more consoles them them, ran them out of the portable space, is full of exclusives, they compete against MS who has Azure/Windows and was just allowed to buy Bethesda, Activision, Blizzard, King, Minecraft and so on.

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
And Microsoft has a 25:1 advantage to Sony in the tech market as a whole when going off market cap valuation...an advantage they 100% leveraged in buying ABK, BTW.

Convenient you ignored that part. If Sony offered the right concessions to a T2 purchase, the EC would allow it. Unless you agree with the idea they are corrupted by a MS-associated person being added to their board via literally changing the rules of entrance?

It's amazing how some of you are blatantly trying to confine any arguments against Sony pursuing a big acquisition on relative console market positions, without even realizing that regulatory bodies do not have an issue with natural monopolies that form from the customers in a market choosing one option over another. Why do you think there are no investigations into Steam's market dominance?

And yes, if Sony were guilty of doing genuinely anticompetitive practices to gain their market share in console gaming, various institutional bodies across the world (the SEC here in America for example) could have launched investigations years ago, and don't give me the "gaming was too small back then" talk. Nintendo was investigated in the late '80s/early '90s and lost an antitrust case in the US over their own gaming practices at the time, in a significantly smaller market.
There are certain ways of Sony buying a big publisher like EA or T2, getting money from banks, allowing T2/EA to acquire shares/stocks in sony? I think thats some out, so they don't have to pay with cash only.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
They don't have any grounds to block anything after they allowed MS to buy ABK. Sony should be able to buy EA if they wanted (and so should Microsoft according to all regulators, except the FTC I guess but they have no power).
They have all the grounds to block Sony from buying EA, Sony is not M$, they don't have money to pay for lawyers, astroturfers and shills network. They cannot bulldoze their way though regulators like M$.

Rule for thee, not for me.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They have all the grounds to block Sony from buying EA, Sony is not M$, they don't have money to pay for lawyers, astroturfers and shills network. They cannot bulldoze their way though regulators like M$.

Rule for thee, not for me.
If Sony can't hire some lawyers it's their problem, astroturfers and shills didn't decide anything that was just Xbox operating as usual.

At the very least Sony should try. Go for EA for $50B and force MS to outbid them and grow even larger if that's the case, forcing them to support PS since Xbox doesn't sell games. MS going third party is great for Sony.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
If Sony can't hire some lawyers it's their problem, astroturfers and shills didn't decide anything that was just Xbox operating as usual.
M$ is a 2T though, they have that fuck u money. Usually they try acquire something in US or EU, the juridical system side with them in so many cases.

Like can you argue logic with those cunts at court? No you can. It's M$ and the government system against anything in their ways.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I think its fine to make predictions but some people held on to theirs for far too long. There was one guy in here screaming "no, no, its dead, its dead!" on a loop this weekend. Just destroying his own credibility. Like read the room, MS was through the toughest part at that point and while the deal could still fail (or, more accurately, get unwound) its much less likely than it going through.
This is referring to me. The toughest part is and was always ostensibly the CMA, not the FTC. What confidence Microsoft had was evidently off the back of backroom dealings with the CMA and provisional assurances that their new plan would work.

My stance was perfectly fine with the information we had at the time given that the deal as it currently stands is blocked. The reeeing about how the deal was guaranteed to close before the deadline was delusional as it violates the law.

This adjournment means the CMA can consider the new deal without parties arguing about the validity of the order for the old deal. It's not an approval of any deal, though I now anticipate that's where this is headed, unfortunately.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
At the very least Sony should try. Go for EA for $50B and force MS to outbid them and grow even larger if that's the case, forcing them to support PS since Xbox doesn't sell games. MS going third party is great for Sony.
That is one way to commit suicide. If you bid something, you have to pay for it or you have to early breakout fee which probably somewhere in billions.

I think if Sony acquires Square Enix or Capcom, it will be much easier than that. But I think Sony gonna end up just buy one publisher and buy stake heavily on the rest.

Reactions: Arminius

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
This is referring to me. The toughest part is and was always ostensibly the CMA, not the FTC. What confidence Microsoft had was evidently off the back of backroom dealings with the CMA and provisional assurances that their new plan would work.

My stance was perfectly fine with the information we had at the time given that the deal as it currently stands is blocked. The reeeing about how the deal was guaranteed to close before the deadline was delusional as it violates the law.

This adjournment means the CMA can consider the new deal without parties arguing about the validity of the order for the old deal. It's not an approval of any deal, though I now anticipate that's where this is headed, unfortunately.

You've done a great job keeping everyone actually informed with what is going on. and in tune with reality.

24 Jun 2022
There are certain ways of Sony buying a big publisher like EA or T2, getting money from banks, allowing T2/EA to acquire shares/stocks in sony? I think thats some out, so they don't have to pay with cash only.

True, Sony can do a mix of cash, stocks, etc. It doesn't have to be 100% cash. But I personally don't see what acquiring EA or T2 brings them vs. simply investing in them, doing more partnership deals with them, and buying lots (preferably majority) shares into those publishers. You get effectively all the same things outside of claiming the revenue of those companies as your own in fiscal reports.

Like others have been saying, focusing on Japanese publishers would probably be the best option for them right now. And of those, serious talks with Square-Enix and Capcom would probably be the best in terms of acquisitions, though I think something would have to be worked out with Nintendo. And maybe something strategic in terms of content access for one of Microsoft's biggest rivals, like Apple or Amazon (maybe some Amazon Luna deal for SE & Capcom content, or a vested interest in porting Capcom & SE games to Mac & Apple Play over Steam & Windows, priority-wise).

Reactions: Arminius and kuzon