Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
With how much of headache the CMA caused everyone this whole time I wouldn't be surprised is there's going to be some sort of regulatory changes in the future in regards to them.

I’m seriously shocked at the U turn they’ve done regarding all their concerns. Very disappointed at this so called independent regulator.

Reactions: reziel

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The CMA isn't regulating for fanboys to stop Microsoft from growing any bigger, it is regulating for the protection of consumers of UK.

If Microsoft provides a new case to CMA that tackles the CMA's issues, then the CMA should review that new deal. If that new deal is sufficient, the CMA should accept it. To do otherwise would be illogical.

It's not corruption if CMA agrees to a new deal. You guys are sounding like children not getting their way, if the CMA agrees to the new deal.
You are right but forget CMA agreed to back to analysis a new deal... that new deal was not showed to them yet.
That is all fair except the part they should have get in talk with this new deal before gone to CAT 🤷‍♂️

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
This is defintley shadey.

Back in late june the CMA asked the CAT for a delay to the appeal process, to get one of their new lawyer time to onboard. So they where still wanting to fight this.

Heres the thing, prior to that MS had already submitted their new proposal.

So why did CMA asked for a delay to the appeal process in late june? If they already knew by then what MS had proposed, then why would you wait weeks to say "oh we are ok with it" by just briefly looking at this "complex" submission.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I wonder if Microsoft was dealt to get the deal done before the 18th they asked Sony what they would want and gave it to them?
Sure, Sony won and got what they wanted...

Lets just be real here, it's obvious what happened, the CMA was in their way and MS made sure to put them in their place (subservient to these titanic corporations).

The whole thing was always pretty suspicious with regulators being able to interact with MS behind the scenes and all, it was only a matter of time for them to agree to some sort of compensation to get the deal done.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
The CMA isn't regulating for fanboys to stop Microsoft from growing any bigger, it is regulating for the protection of consumers of UK.

If Microsoft provides a new case to CMA that tackles the CMA's issues, then the CMA should review that new deal. If that new deal is sufficient, the CMA should accept it. To do otherwise would be illogical.

It's not corruption if CMA agrees to a new deal. You guys are sounding like children not getting their way, if the CMA agrees to the new deal.

Which deal? LOL WTF you are blabbing about? Stick with the XSX supply issues which supposedly are fixed by Phil Spencer

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

It's not corruption if CMA agrees to a new deal. You guys are sounding like children not getting their way.
I'd have to agree with this. I already saw the CMA lynch mob when this first started.

The CMA is legally bound to take into account any new proposals. Their job isn't to prevent mergers by any means. They're there to make sure consumers in the UK, an only the UK, are not harmed.

MS came up with a new deal and they took it into account.

The only strange thing here is that they're bending over backwards to get this done before the 18th so MS doesn't have to renegotiate with Activision, who would probably ask for more. It's a really shady move by a regulator to approve something without actually providing a proper review to the court.

The CMA probably knows they'll accept the deal so they're doing MS a solid to fast track it. The only thing that changes here is that MS will sign the deal based on agreed prices. Even if the review went past the 18th, the deal would have still gone through. The only difference would be that MS would probably have to pay more if Activision asked for it, and they probably would have.

• brain

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I don’t know why you guys are responding to Wellfare’s spin.

MS had MONTHS to offer CMA new remedies and they didn’t.

Also CMA originally wanted full divestiture of Activision and COD. MS was not willing to do that. They also barred MS from doing any deals with Activision for 10 years.

Why the fuck now CMA decided to throw all that away near the finish line when FTC loses their court case?

We all know what’s happened.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I’m seriously shocked at the U turn they’ve done regarding all their concerns. Very disappointed at this so called independent regulator.
Corruption shouldn't shock you at this point, this was always the expected outcome. If regulators were any good at their job MS wouldn't even exist in the first place.

Yea it is unfair to stop for 2 trillion dollar corpo to grow larger.

These dumbfucks logic is astounding.
As if MS got where they are by being fair, right? These people are tripping, MS is a legit shitty company that is a real threat to humankind with their sick ambitions of unlimited growth regardless of what the market has to say.

If they can't even regulate them in the gaming space there is no hope to regulate them anywhere else, they'll keep employing the same monopolistic and anti-competitive tactics everywhere and keep getting their way by just being corrupt.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'd have to agree with this. I already saw the CMA lynch mob when this first started.

The CMA is legally bound to take into account any new proposals. Their job isn't to prevent mergers by any means. They're there to make sure consumers in the UK, an only the UK, are not harmed.

MS came up with a new deal and they took it into account.

The only strange thing here is that they're bending over backwards to get this done before the 18th so MS doesn't have to renegotiate with Activision, who would probably ask for more. It's a really shady move by a regulator to approve something without actually providing a proper review to the court.

The CMA probably knows they'll accept the deal so they're doing MS a solid to fast track it. The only thing that changes here is that MS will sign the deal based on agreed prices. Even if the review went past the 18th, the deal would have still gone through. The only difference would be that MS would probably have to pay more if Activision asked for it, and they probably would have.
There is only a issue here... the new deal was not presented to CMA yet.
Only MS knows what this new deal is.

Said that I agree it is fair to give another analysis to MS show that new deal but it needs to flow the officials paths no matter these unrelated deadline... CMA has nothing to do if MS didn't show that better compromisses/deal before.

I mean CMA should back now to the analysis/compromises phase.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
There is only a issue here... the new deal was not presented yet.
I think the deal wasn't presented to the judge only. The CMA probably know it but needs time to actually move it through the right channels to get it approved.

I'd actually like some info here because what I got from all of this is that only the judge himself didn't see the new deal.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
There is only a issue here... the new deal was not presented to CMA yet.

Said that I agree it is fair to give another analysis to MS show that new deal but it needs to flow the officials paths.

There is no new deal. That’s why the CMA and MS was scrambling trying to make up bullshit on why they can’t show it right now.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think the deal wasn't presented to the judge only. The CMA probably know it but needs time to actually move it through the right channels to get it approved.

I'd actually like some info here because what I got from all of this is that only the judge himself didn't see the new deal.
From what I understood CMA said they didn't have the deal in hands yet.
They accepted to analysis a new deal.

Like I said it is fair and should follow the official procedures... it basically back to that step where CMA wait for MS remedies and/or compromisses to their issues.

Edit - Everything after this phase today looks just like circus that involved even CAT.

Reactions: AngryRobotBees