Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Dang they banned Angie? AFAIK they don't even say anything controversial, they usually just post rumors and leaks (and not even just for PlayStation-related stuff). Are the mods and admin over there so sensitive they can't take being reminded of how disingenuous and fake they are capping for & enabling cap for a $2.57 trillion mega-conglomerate to just buy their way to market dominance using money and merit that's in no way attributable to Xbox itself?

I mean that is literally the truth of what Microsoft is doing here. They're trying to buy their way to the top. The funny part are the mods & admin who support it with no questions, they're rewarding one of the largest companies (in the world) leveraging nothing but their money and valuation in a hyper-capitalist market.
I mean the mod team there are literally xbox superfans/paid influencers

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Pretty much.

But I'm surprised they left it this late. I honestly thought they would have already had these talks last week.

MS has been overconfident about this process from the beginning. Starting with the announcement of the deal and their expectation of no regulator push back. Smith's words upon the CMA block and other events also show that. Perhaps they truly thought they could wrap this up by the 18th. And, who knows, maybe they can but it's looking less and less likely.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Warren Buffet did just increase his stake in AB, though that might just be him vulturing around at the end.
You mean decrease?

From 6.3% to 1.9%. He cashed out.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
You mean decrease?

From 6.3% to 1.9%. He cashed out.

This seems like a hedge against it failing since stock is expected to drop if deal doesn't go through.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
I think playstation is the only platform currently that you can disable crossplay on cod I'd expect the option to be removed under Microsoft
It's also an option on Xbox, thing is it's system wide there, you gotta go to your console settings to turn it off, Sony requires it to be an option in game

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sounds like Beard and Gravener didn't anticipate the judge wouldn't just take their word for it that everything is peachy keen because they and the CMA agree. A few of their arguments were to this effect.

I'd watch the lawyers involved in this case on the CMA side closely. If they land high paying roles in corporate or private law firms soon we'll have an inkling of what's gone on.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sounds like Beard and Gravener didn't anticipate the judge wouldn't just take their word for it that everything is peachy keen because they and the CMA agree. A few of their arguments were to this effect.

I'd watch the lawyers involved in this case on the CMA side closely. If they land high paying roles in corporate or private law firms soon we'll have an inkling of what's gone on.

When the CMA lawyer was pushing to have everything ready for tomorrow 5pm (12pm in USA) but the judge gave them until Thursday, the CMA lawyer look at the MS lawyer to make sure it was okay. They are obviously in cahoots.

We need a whistleblower at the CMA.

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023

My legal fu is super bad, specially in regards to UK stuff, what does this mean to us small brained individuals?

DForce

24 Jun 2022
The adjournment is conditional, right? The judge has to look over the evidence to see if it's worthy if a full adjournment?

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
My legal fu is super bad, specially in regards to UK stuff, what does this mean to us small brained individuals?
The CAT judge is saying ms/CMA assumed that the CAT wouldn't care about the reason for the adjournment of the appeal hearing, and that it should be adjourned just based of ms/CMA wanting it.

CAT thinks ms/CMA wanting it is important but obviously the reasons are more important.

What's shocking is the "reason" we are talking about here is microsfts submission made before june 19th, which is almost a month ago. How do you turn up to court and not have that very document that is the reason for this whole hearing yesterday?

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The adjournment is conditional, right? The judge has to look over the evidence to see if it's worthy if a full adjournment?
Twitter is a shitshow right now for me so can't get out the exact bit of the transcript, but here's a quote from Reuters that does suggest that it is conditional.

Judge Marcus Smith said he was willing to adjourn next week's hearing if the CMA provided set out why it considers there has been a material change in circumstances or special reason justifying its adjournment application.

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
The CAT judge is saying ms/CMA assumed that the CAT wouldn't care about the reason for the adjournment of the appeal hearing, and that it should be adjourned just based of ms/CMA wanting it.

CAT thinks ms/CMA wanting it is important but obviously the reasons are more important.

What's shocking is the "reason" we are talking about here is microsfts submission made before june 19th, which is almost a month ago. How do you turn up to court and not have that very document that is the reason for this whole hearing yesterday?
Thanks, you're the MVP

So it's safe to assume some greens were thrown towards the CMA somehow, so much for that incorruptible regulator angle that was touted so much

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters