Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Yep and that’s why Sony’s CFO said this:

“We will continue to make strategic investments going forward, prioritizing intellectual property”
Does that mean prioritizing their own IP or acquiring others IP. It seems vague.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Yep and that’s why Sony’s CFO said this:

“We will continue to make strategic investments going forward, prioritizing intellectual property”
Mark the word strategic though, it probably not strictly means M&A. But I can see they buying at least one publisher to broaden their portfolio.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Twitter is a shitshow right now for me so can't get out the exact bit of the transcript, but here's a quote from Reuters that does suggest that it is conditional.

I wonder if the judge can deny it go with the previous older and make a ruling there.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
That also include other business like Crunchyroll. IMO, their sole focus should be on PS. But I guess time will tell.
1B for CC, 1.58B for Zee, about >4B for PS mergers.
That leaves them with about 11B until next year.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
1B for CC, 1.58B for Zee, about >4B for PS mergers.
That leaves them with about 13B until next year.
If they want or need more money, they could get more money. It is convincing the company to sell is the hard part. IMO Capcom + From or UbiSoft (I know) + From is a great combo.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I wonder if the judge can deny it go with the previous older and make a ruling there.
Yeah will be interesting what unfolds if that does happen. CMA did make a previous adjournment request and the CAT didn't hesitate to smack them down for it, basically for not having a good reason and making the application way too late.

Reactions: DForce

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
There is very good Example why Sony will focus on Japanese market to acquire IP.
Granblue Fantasy is in its origin a mobile game. A very successful one. It so successful it was expanded in several Anime shows, manga adaptation and some console games. Japan especially is treasure drove for expanding in Multimedia.
Sony is looking exactly for franchises with broad media appeal.

Reactions: Luffy123

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
If they want need more money, they could get more money. It is convincing the company to sell is the hard part. IMO Capcom + From or UbiSoft (I know) + From is a great combo.
At least 20% in Capcom, Square Enix buyout. For FromSoft they got 15% stake already, I don't think Kadokawa willing to sell more. Expansion of Bungie should also help.

Reactions: Luffy123

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
There is very good Example why Sony will focus on Japanese market to acquire IP.
Granblue Fantasy is in its origin a mobile game. A very successful one. It so successful it was expanded in several Anime shows, manga adaptation and some console games. Japan especially is treasure drove for expanding in Multimedia.
I think if Sony expanding on mobile franchises they probably gonna put it in Sony Music arm. Fate Grand alone makes as much revenue as King, would not profit SIE.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
When the CMA lawyer was pushing to have everything ready for tomorrow 5pm (12pm in USA) but the judge gave them until Thursday, the CMA lawyer look at the MS lawyer to make sure it was okay. They are obviously in cahoots.

We need a whistleblower at the CMA.
Lol this is insane. CMA all this time were wanting a more extended timeline(e.g. when they wanted the appeal pushed all the way to october), and now suddenly they need to get everything done quickly?

31i.gif

Get spielberg on the phone, we got our next blockbuster.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think if Sony expanding on mobile franchises they probably gonna put it in Sony Music arm. Fate Grand alone makes as much revenue as King, would not profit SIE.
I honestly doubt that SIE would buy the Japanese company. If they buy Square Enix then it will be very likely the parent company: Sony Group Corporation. Square Enix wouldn’t be integrated to PlayStation Studios, they would be their own entity.

Last edited:
Reactions: kuzon

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I honestly doubt that SIE would buy the Japanese company. If they buy Square Enix then it will be very likely the parent company: Sony Group Corporation. Square Enix wouldn’t be integrated to PlayStation Studios, they would be their own entity.

Sony would just work with them for their aspirations in bringing their properties to other mediums. So they would give them access to their studios, music/tv/film and help work on projects to get Final Fantasy into anime, movies ect.

Dragon Quest has a manga inspired game series coming out, and I think turning the manga into a anime series is smart.
Dragon quest is on the low in terms of popularity. But if they can revamp and reinvigorate it can lead to better excitement with their games.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony would just work with them for their aspirations in bringing their properties to other mediums. So they would give them access to their studios, music/tv/film and help work on projects to get Final Fantasy into anime, movies ect.

Dragon Quest has a manga inspired game series coming out, and I think turning the manga into a anime series is smart.
Dragon quest is on the low in terms of popularity. But if they can revamp and reinvigorate it can lead to better excitement with their games.
Agree Square Enix would be definitely worth an acquisition. They have valuable IPs.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

CMA is in danger of securing pyrrhic victory in Call of Duty battle

The shame is that the CMA’s objections back in April sounded principled and coherent. The takeover of a big content company (Activision) by a big platform provider (Microsoft) would be a major event, and the specific concern was that it would happen just as the market was transitioning from consoles to cloud-based streaming. The CMA wanted to allow competition to flourish freely in cloud-based services during the development stage. That was one reason it wasn’t impressed with time-limited behavioural remedies – they require constant policing by regulators and can work against innovation and dynamism. The argument had a certain pro-competition purity about it.

It is a hard argument to sustain in isolation, however. If the US has been thwarted from adopting a similarly robust stance, the danger for the CMA is that its virtuous approach ends up making the UK games market an international outlier, to no domestic benefit. To repeat, there are more laps of the regulatory track to complete, so it’s still possible that the CMA will find an elegant solution. It is hard to see what it could be, though.

• Informative
Reactions: Cool hand luke

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Angie's finally lose it and was banned from resetera recently over you-know-what topic 😂 . Just give it up Angie, that place is a lost cause already lol.

Last edited: