Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

24 Jun 2022
John Linnerman from digital foundry trying to play pretend.

Funny he says that now because when it comes to ABK...

As if there's some fundamental difference between Microsoft, Tencent and Amazon where one is more righteous than the other. They're all extensions of government bodies. They're all Big Tech. They're all involved in ethically questionable business deals and practices.

And they all suck at managing and growing acquired gaming talent & studios compared to Sony.

Let's hope Sony and Tencent enters into a strategic partnership as well. Let's hope things aren't that Bad between them and Shawn Layden, he can pull some internal strings

Funny you mention that because Shawn is a consultant for Tencent these days, at least last I heard. And Sony & Tencent already have some shared investment interests, such as Kadokawa and From Software.

I imagine they have some with China Hero Project as well so, I'd assume the dynamic there is on good terms. And if Tencent continues to distance themselves from the CCP in terms of affiliation, even better. Because that's one of the biggest hold-outs for me: those CCP ties.

Although in practice that isn't terribly worst than Microsoft's obvious ties to the U.S government and military, or what they and Google might have to do in getting deeper into Saudi Arabia (selling user data to the Saudis).

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Media in gaming is ridiculous. They act as if they are being held hostage to criticize Microsoft or any sort of consolidation efforts by them.

Have a spine. Its like they’re afraid of internet bullying or something because what they say and they actions should mean they are against something like a 69 billion dollar acquisition
I remembered reading it about Microsoft astroturfing back in the 00s. My English was bad at the time so not sure.

I think they have every media outlets in the back

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
View attachment 1930
I don't know what you guys mean. Digital Foundry look like normal, rational people.
I love when they compare Series S to... PS4 Pro, and conclude Series S is next gen guys, stop complaining.

Like they casually forgot something...
@Bryank75 @Dodkrake can I make a thread dedicated to DF's FUD. This is ways too funny to pass up

Last edited:
Reactions: PropellerEar

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Funny he says that now because when it comes to ABK...

As if there's some fundamental difference between Microsoft, Tencent and Amazon where one is more righteous than the other. They're all extensions of government bodies. They're all Big Tech. They're all involved in ethically questionable business deals and practices.

And they all suck at managing and growing acquired gaming talent & studios compared to Sony.

Funny you mention that because Shawn is a consultant for Tencent these days, at least last I heard. And Sony & Tencent already have some shared investment interests, such as Kadokawa and From Software.

I imagine they have some with China Hero Project as well so, I'd assume the dynamic there is on good terms. And if Tencent continues to distance themselves from the CCP in terms of affiliation, even better. Because that's one of the biggest hold-outs for me: those CCP ties.

Although in practice that isn't terribly worst than Microsoft's obvious ties to the U.S government and military, or what they and Google might have to do in getting deeper into Saudi Arabia (selling user data to the Saudis).

Yeah, there's not a big difference between MS, Tencent and Amazon. Wild how many people are convinced that MS are special and good.

24 Jun 2022
Yeah, there's not a big difference between MS, Tencent and Amazon. Wild how many people are convinced that MS are special and good.

All because of Good Guy Phil™'s schtick of being a "gamer" and appealing to the crowds, going on X-Cast interviews, iJustine shows and all of that.

He's as much the CEO of the gaming division as he is a mascot. A shifty, sneaky, somehow faker version of Kevin Butler. At least we knew Kevin Butler was a mascot and knew their ridiculousness was based on that mutual understanding. They didn't cross a dangerous line of being an actual person behind the persona who exploited that among hardcore fans to build a cult of personality to weaponize against other brands. He wasn't actually running PlayStation IRL...and that was a good thing.

You never let your mascots actually run the show, else you end up with modern-day Xbox.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I hate that man with a passion. Of course the glaring difference that he doesn’t want to mention between MS and Tencent/Amazon is that MS is a platform holder who’s shown willingness to make their multi platform games exclusive to less people. Tencent and Amazon would keep everything the same. These MS cheerleaders truly make me sick, because they fake pretend like they care about consolidation unless it’s by the corporation doing the biggest harm.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Why Amazon owns Activision Blizzard a bad thing?

Tencent, sure, yea national security concern for United States. But Amazon?

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
What if one day MS removes those games from steam and then Nintendo afterwards. Then is it still good for everyone?
they wont remove them from steam. Bethesda games and zenimax games are still launching on steam. Xbox likes steam. But Nintendo could have it pulled after 10 years.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
They know it better then Amazon and had success in it. If they get ABK xbox looks insanely powerful. ABK deal is good for everyone except playstation only users.
There we go. Had the suspicion you were a shill in disguise with the way you posted. MS is a turd of a company that needs to be flushed into the annals of history. Xbox exudes the biggest stench from that turd and anyone who supports the acquisition is irrevocably tied to that stench. So, enjoy the stink, I guess.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
There we go. Had the suspicion you were a shill in disguise with the way you posted. MS is a turd of a company that needs to be flushed into the annals of history. Xbox exudes the biggest stench from that turd and anyone who supports the acquisition is irrevocably tied to that stench. So, enjoy the stink, I guess.
how am i a shill? Because i said the truth? Whether or not MS is a turd company or not is irrelevant. A lot of people support the deal. The deal is bad mainly for sony users because xbox will pull their games from them. Xbox should just keep all exisiting ips on playsation and new ips from abk xbox/pc only. That would be more fair. Nintendo doesnt really need ABK at all. Its just a free lunch for them.