Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I don't know why they are doing this. They might make money on AB (all three legs of it are profitable) but it doesn't really serve their original market aims. But then again, since AB is a maker of live-service games almost exclusively, and Microsoft is trying to add value to its subscription service (aka most ftp stuff doesn't add much) it never really fit anyway and was just them snapping up a deal in the wake of that sex scandal stuff.

To those saying that the CMA had played them, no this was the "new proposal" from two months ago that made them change their mind. I think the only shocker here is that it seems to apply everywhere instead of just in the UK.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It will pass, it was always going to in some way or another. Can't wait till this is over. Move on to the next buyout.
Imagine being this much of a corporate rat, to the point that you throw out your own consumer well-being for the sake of a major corporation.

Also, sorry to break it to you, this means all Activision games will release on PlayStation through cloud, since Ubisoft now owns publishing rights. You can go back to the colt echo chamber to make yourself feel better now.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Disgusting from MS but not surprising. It fits with what the astroturfers were saying at the time so they were all aware of the MS 4D Chess move.

Judge Corley and the FTC were played by MS. They should do something about it and sue them for damages.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Did MS fell in CMA trap??

No, unless you think the trap was their original rejection six months ago. Microsoft gave up, two months back, on the deal that was only officially rejected today. Their "new" plan, only unveiled today but probably worked out in general with the CMA back in June, is the one we've been waiting to see for two months. Even with the behind the scenes agreement on the new deal, the CMA still needed to kill the original proposal or Microsoft would have been free to push it through as-is.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I still think the new deal is something the CMA has been corrupted to accept. They look strong by blocking the original deal and lo and behold this new one solves all their issues.

In reality, Microsoft can no longer foreclose PlayStation from any ABK titles, but they're only guaranteed to appear in cloud streaming form (except COD for 10 years) if this deal is rubber stamped.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I still think the new deal is something the CMA has been corrupted to accept. They look strong by blocking the original deal and lo and behold this new one solves all their issues.

In reality, Microsoft can no longer foreclose PlayStation from any ABK titles, but they're only guaranteed to appear in cloud streaming form (except COD for 10 years) if this deal is rubber stamped.
Yup if the new deal os accepted good luck to PS owners in countries that dont have the internet infrastructure and relays heavily on physical media.