Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Microsoft said it’s the same deal. Means back then also no Spyro, Diablo etc.
From the email Phil sent to jim they were offering all activision games through to December 31st 2027 , in the trial Phil said he doesn't expect the next gen consoles till 2028 , it's very clear what that deal meant it meant theyd sell the games on the better selling console & then as soon as next gen gets started they'd pull them all

DForce

24 Jun 2022

What in the world was Sony fighting for all the time? It’s the same darned deal they got offered in 2022 December. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I don’t understand what Sony sees in Jim Ryan. Jimbo needs to go!

He wanted the deal blocked and that's why he didn't sign the deal back then.

Sony is better off signing the deal knowing that this may very well likely pass.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
They could sign the deal as a just in case and maybe still try to encourage the CMA to block the deal? Or theyve gotten what they wanted and have moved on to do their own thing?

• brain

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They're stopping the yearly release and it will become a 10-year game like halo was to be. Call of Duty : Modern Warfare, fully GaaS.

Sony will be quite happy with the 30% revenue capture, trust me.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think its virtually guaranteed to go through now, but at the expense of Microsoft being unable to actually make use of its assets to sell gamepass, which is currently their gaming division's raison d'etre.

I also think that MS's strategic vision is totally different from what Bobby Kotick's was and that shits gonna fall apart without him at the helm, at least with regular Activision but even King and Blizzard might shit themselves. People don't think of Bobby as a gamer, and rightly so, I don't think he plays for fun regularly/ever, but he knows a gem when he sees one and a dog when he sees one. There's a reason he was able to buy Activision for a dollar (and assumption of existing debts) and turn it into the largest primarily games related company in the world.

• brain

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
The same Digital Foundry that recently took a pic with daddy Phil? Lol

Why isn't this a story?
Because Microsoft bribes media like they always did. Nearly nobody reported about the dicey court documents with written proofs, that Microsoft is pursuing the goal to spend Sony out of business. Not a single outlet has reported.

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
I’ve been banned, but man- what a turnaround. The deal going through as I stated time & time again. MS got pockets, and the probably additional 50 billion than MS spent getting it approved isn’t even an accounting error to them.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I’ve been banned, but man- what a turnaround. The deal going through as I stated time & time again. MS got pockets, and the probably additional 50 billion than MS spent getting it approved isn’t even an accounting error to them.

Eh, with the deal for ten years, Ubisoft for 15 + and CMA still holding things up... it's no biggie.

Xbox sales seem to still be deteriorating. I don't see the point in the hoarding games away on a dying platform, that has almost no access to huge geographical areas. So I'm not particularly worried about it anymore.