Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
Eh, with the deal for ten years, Ubisoft for 15 + and CMA still holding things up... it's no biggie.

Xbox sales seem to still be deteriorating. I don't see the point in the hoarding games away on a dying platform, that has almost no access to huge geographical areas. So I'm not particularly worried about it anymore.
Sony is 10 years for COD only. Not other games.

They have no contract for other games, meaning MS could make them all exclusive.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Eh, with the deal for ten years, Ubisoft for 15 + and CMA still holding things up... it's no biggie.

Xbox sales seem to still be deteriorating. I don't see the point in the hoarding games away on a dying platform, that has almost no access to huge geographical areas. So I'm not particularly worried about it anymore.

MS seems to, on some level, believe they have influence in the industry they don't have. I also don't see the point in hoarding games when their sub, console, and software sales are all doing poorly. But they seem to have an attitude not of "build it and they will come", but simply "make them come". Taking so many IPs from rival platforms is emblematic of that attitude. I do wonder how long they'll keep it up, though. I suppose Starfield will be a significant test of this, so far, unsuccessful approach.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The original deal got blocked. You were wrong. Get Rekt.
Microsoft will shortly be acquiring the whole of Activision-Blizzard. Get rekt.

What a shitty, shitty deal for them though. They'll literally have to pay Ubisoft to stream their own games. Does gamepass have download option or is it all streaming? I wonder if they'll change how A-B games are distributed to get around that? Its almost all mp shit, you'd have to connect to official servers to play anyway. Or does that count as streaming, too?

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I’ve been banned, but man- what a turnaround. The deal going through as I stated time & time again. MS got pockets, and the probably additional 50 billion than MS spent getting it approved isn’t even an accounting error to them.
Imagine being aware of institutional corruption and actively cheering for the worst offender.

Your other troll account has even been permed, I know...

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
So Microsoft / Xbox has just hired someone that worked at playstation to be head of Japan something or other lol
lol playstation is a distant second in japan so that person's expertise clearly isn't that valuable. the only software that sells in japan is nintendo or homegrown mobile games.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
They aren't divesting anything, they are being forced to liscense rights out.
Licensing something out would mean they could still keep rights to said thing. MS is not allowed to publish ANY Activision/Blizzard games on cloud. That right now belongs entirely to Ubisoft. MS has no say what platforms those games go to.

That's a divestment of their cloud gaming business when it comes to any and all Activision/Blizzard games.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Licensing something out would mean they could still keep rights to said thing. MS is not allowed to publish ANY Activision/Blizzard games on cloud. That right now belongs entirely to Ubisoft. MS has no say what platforms those games go to.

That's a divestment of their cloud gaming business when it comes to any and all Activision/Blizzard games.
They are getting paid for it, I don't think the details are public but I assume yearly. That is licensing it out, not a divestment. Just like how Hershey's has a perpetual liscense for Kit-Kats in the US. Nestle still owns Kit-Kat, Hershey's pays them for it, I believe yearly, but Hershey's has final say over KK in the US as long as they abide by the terms of the agreement.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
it seems Xbox is not ready to give up.
Its going to be an honorary port begger job. Xbox's footprint and market share is collapsing even in the west and they have no profile in the east. Best they can do is sniff around what sony may be going after and at least pay enough to justify a port to be day one. But yes, they are not ready to give up and are burning money with abandon while yet somehow still becoming more and more irrelevant.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
They are getting paid for it, I don't think the details are public but I assume yearly. That is licensing it out, not a divestment. Just like how Hershey's has a perpetual liscense for Kit-Kats in the US. Nestle still owns Kit-Kat, Hershey's pays them for it, I believe yearly, but Hershey's has final say over KK in the US as long as they abide by the terms of the agreement.
They are divesting the rights to Ubisoft and Ubisoft will own all rights to cloud stream new titles developed over 15 years by ABK (or more accurately both by ABK and those using ABK properties). We don't know what the further compensation entails, nor what the structure is, but the rights belong to Ubisoft.

Ubisoft will be able to commericalise and licence the cloud gaming versions of any of these titles, adding them to any other cloud gaming services around the world, including ones operating on non-Windows operating systems.

Microsoft will take a one-off payment from Ubisoft for these rights, as well as further compensation "through a market-based wholesale pricing mechanism, including an option that supports pricing based on usage."