Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Someone looked at the CMA document again. It looks like the wording around behavioral remedies suggests that they would only be considered as an addition to some kind of structural remedy.

Someone also found that out of 41 cases the cma took, there was only one where they considered behavioral remedies to be good enough on their own to let the deal through.

View attachment 567

Dude, that guy Rrandom Grenadier and a few others are just cringe and painful to read..... they just cannot accept any reality that MSFT doesn't get ABK.
Fucking lunatics like that belong in an asylum.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What would divestiture look like?

Divestiture is basically a selloff.... so whatever specified part of the business would have to be sold off to an approved party.

For instance, Tencent would probably not be allowed.... Sony either in all likelihood.

A spinoff is different again and means that a part of the company becomes it's own entity, with its own management structure and can be publicly floated.... somewhat similar to what happened with WB.

D

Deleted member 417

One example is Activision becomes independent and MS would only be allowed to buy Blizzard and King.

Divestiture is basically a selloff.... so whatever specified part of the business would have to be sold off to an approved party.

For instance, Tencent would probably not be allowed.... Sony either in all likelihood.

Most likely a new corporate entity being formed out of the COD studios and dedicated to making COD as an independent company.

So for talks sake, MS could buy King, Nintendo buys Blizzard and Embracer buys Acti?

What would MS gain by only taking part of the company? What would happen to Acti? Is it possible that Acti gets scattered to the winds entirely and ceases to be a company?

Reactions: Bryank75

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
So for talks sake, MS could buy King, Nintendo buys Blizzard and Embracer buys Acti?

What would MS gain by only taking part of the company? What would happen to Acti? Is it possible that Acti gets scattered to the winds entirely and ceases to be a company?
No. Activision and all their holdings aside from the COD parts would become MS property, assuming the only divestiture required was the COD parts.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Now, there may be new negotiations with all the regulatory concessions taken into account....

But the most straightforward method would be that MSFT pay the agreed amount in full and then immediately have to sell off whatever is specified...Acti / Acti Blizz etc

The highest approved bidder would get the unloaded business...

Could be Embracer. Doubt Nintendo would buy...but they could put in a bid.

Hope that is clear.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The question is if divestiture would also require the divestiture of sledgehammer/infinity ward/treyarch or just the IPs and branding. It would be interesting if it was only the IP.
The CMA already said that it would require the IP to be packaged with all the studios and support studios dedicated to COD for divestiture.

In no world will MS own Call of Duty, under any circumstances.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The question is if divestiture would also require the divestiture of sledgehammer/infinity ward/treyarch or just the IPs and branding. It would be interesting if it was only the IP.

Naaa, you'lll find they word it 'Call of Duty IP and all related businesses' or something to that effect.

D

Deleted member 417

No. Activision and all their holdings aside from the COD parts would become MS property, assuming the only divestiture required was the COD parts.

Now, there may be new negotiations with all the regulatory concessions taken into account....

But the most straightforward method would be that MSFT pay the agreed amount in full and then immediately have to sell off whatever is specified...Acti / Acti Blizz etc

The highest approved bidder would get the unloaded business...

Could be Embracer. Doubt Nintendo would buy...but they could put in a bid.

Hope that is clear.
Thanks for the explanations. Hopefully other people get some use out of these as well.

If they split ABK, I would be more interested in who bids for King over COD. It sure would be something if this deal is the catalyst that lets Google, Apple, Disney or Amazon enter the game industry.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Thanks for the explanations. Hopefully other people get some use out of these as well.

If they split ABK, I would be more interested in who bids for King over COD. It sure would be something if this deal is the catalyst that lets Google, Apple, Disney or Amazon enter the game industry.

I could definitely see Apple or Google going for it as COD mobile is a money maker and they could make it exclusive from the other mobile platform.... while raking in console profits year on year.

They are the most likely candidates but not sure how the regulators would see it....

Disney would get it easier but they are low on cash I believe.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Dude, that guy Rrandom Grenadier and a few others are just cringe and painful to read..... they just cannot accept any reality that MSFT doesn't get ABK.
Fucking lunatics like that belong in an asylum.
They're still in the revenge fantasy phase. They've moved past from thinking this won't neuter Xbox and into imagining scenarios where PlayStation gets dragged down into the regulator fight because of their exclusivity deals.

Some lunatics just won't see sense - Feuerstein gets hit with a prediction of a 10% chance the deal will go through at all and continues to post like the reee version of the cartoon dog in a burning room gif.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They're still in the revenge fantasy phase. They've moved past from thinking this won't neuter Xbox and into imagining scenarios where PlayStation gets dragged down into the regulator fight because of their exclusivity deals.

Some lunatics just won't see sense - Feuerstein gets hit with a prediction of a 10% chance the deal will go through at all and continues to post like the reee version of the cartoon dog in a burning room gif.

I love your posts...you just need a great avatar.

Oh yeah they are full on 'PlayStation will rue the day' mode!

Not even a bit of irony.

ae01b35e-4a77-40c5-a589-3d5970992d45_text.gif

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

They won’t split up the rest of ABK, as nothing else is as big of a concern.

The main issue is, MS offered double what Activision was worth when the deal was drafted, and they won’t get the value out of Activision minus COD even with Blizzard and King for the deal to be worth anything close to $70 billion. The CMA knows that, and was effectively putting that forward as the remedy with the intention of blowing up the whole merger.

It’s what’s commonly called a poison pill. An adjustment to a deal that effectively makes the deal into something nobody would want to go through with.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It is, but it's fun to get under their skin in their safe-house. 🤭
Is $0.10 per post really worth your dignity? Or maybe you're just a masochist; if you think arguing about Forspoken's sales for 3 weeks is "getting under their skin" instead of "making myself look like an absolute clown", then you need a reality check