Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

D

Deleted member 417

I could definitely see Apple or Google going for it as COD mobile is a money maker and they could make it exclusive from the other mobile platform.... while raking in console profits year on year.

They are the most likely candidates but not sure how the regulators would see it....

Disney would get it easier but they are low on cash I believe.

Good point, I never thought about COD mobile. King + Cod could be an easy revenue stream to pick up.

They won’t split up the rest of ABK, as nothing else is as big of a concern.

The main issue is, MS offered double what Activision was worth when the deal was drafted, and they won’t get the value out of Activision minus COD even with Blizzard and King for the deal to be worth anything close to $70 billion. The CMA knows that, and was effectively putting that forward as the remedy with the intention of blowing up the whole merger.

It’s what’s commonly called a poison pill. An adjustment to a deal that effectively makes the deal into something nobody would want to go through with.

If/When the deal falls through, what does that do to the value of Activision? Is there a time restriction on when another interested party can pick up ABK? Could Embracer sweep in the day after the deal ends?

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Nobody can afford Activision other than MS. While MS was overpaying, Activision is still the biggest games publisher in the world, so they’re bigger game than anyone like Embracer would be going for.

Also, they weren’t in anything close to a bad financial position. The deal was all about lining Bobby Kotex’ pockets.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Nobody can afford Activision other than MS. While MS was overpaying, Activision is still the biggest games publisher in the world, so they’re bigger game than anyone like Embracer would be going for.

Also, they weren’t in anything close to a bad financial position. The deal was all about lining Bobby Kotex’ pockets.
I would think that any divesting would result in an independent Activision/COD rather than anyone buying them. I'm also not sure how much I trust the speculation from the superjoost article. I'm not seeing what Sony would have to gain by suddenly deciding to let Xbox have control of COD.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I would think that any divesting would result in an independent Activision/COD rather than anyone buying them. I'm also not sure how much I trust the speculation from the superjoost article. I'm not seeing what Sony would have to gain by suddenly deciding to let Xbox have control of COD.
It isn’t Sony’s decision to make, and the divestiture guidelines that the CMA wrote up would have COD detached from everything else Activision, as a separate entity.

But none of that matters, as the deal isn’t something that holds the value that MS would be paying if divestiture is a requirement to get the deal done.

If you’re paying $80 billion for three companies, when they’re only worth $40 billion, and the main driver of that value will be taken away from you after you close the deal, would you go through with the deal?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It isn’t Sony’s decision to make, and the divestiture guidelines that the CMA wrote up would have COD detached from everything else Activision, as a separate entity.

But none of that matters, as the deal isn’t something that holds the value that MS would be paying if divestiture is a requirement to get the deal done.

If you’re paying $80 billion for three companies, when they’re only worth $40 billion, and the main driver of that value will be taken away from you after you close the deal, would you go through with the deal?
Nope, and even if Sony and MS are actually coming to some kind of agreement (big if), that doesn't guarantee the cma will suddenly accept the deal. The story seems weird since Sony and MS seem to still be fighting via the FTC subpoena situation and Sony are supposedly going to the hearing next week to protest the deal. This wouldn't make sense if they are close to an agreement.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Nope, and even if Sony and MS are actually coming to some kind of agreement (big if), that doesn't guarantee the cma will suddenly accept the deal. The story seems weird since Sony and MS seem to still be fighting via the FTC subpoena situation and Sony are supposedly going to the hearing next week to protest the deal. This wouldn't make sense if they are close to an agreement.
Sony and MS coming to any sort of agreement and that making any difference is fanboy cope fiction.

Sony has no bearing on anything other than providing input to the governing bodies that are opposing the deal. The train can’t be stopped by anything other than those bodies changing their minds about allowing the deal.

SONY. HAS. NO. LEGAL. STANDING. NOR. MATERIAL. INVOLVEMENT. IN. THE. LEGAL. PROCESSES. THE. DEAL. IS. FACING.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sony and MS coming to any sort of agreement and that making any difference is fanboy cope fiction.

Sony has no bearing on anything other than providing input to the governing bodies that are opposing the deal. The train can’t be stopped by anything other than those bodies changing their minds about allowing the deal.

SONY. HAS. NO. LEGAL. STANDING. NOR. MATERIAL. INVOLVEMENT. IN. THE. LEGAL. PROCESSES. THE. DEAL. IS. FACING.
I would agree. The ones who think that Sony's opposition is the reason the deal has faced so much scrutiny are delusional. This deal would have had problems even if Sony had been in favor of it for some reason. (for the sake of argument)

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
For record l, I don’t believe it myself but let’s entertain the idea. IF Sony met with Microsoft to discuss the activsion deal, in spite of winning in every regulatory body that matters so far, it would be because Sony has extracted every thing they want from an agreement with Microsoft AND have acquisitions of their own they plan on making relatively soon, because they don’t want to shut the door entirely on industry acquisitions. That or Microsoft has told them they intend to leave the console market and that’s a condition Sony would agree to endorse the deal. With that said I think it’s fanboy cope and day dreams and I don’t think Sony has met with Microsoft, in Seattle.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
For record l, I don’t believe it myself but let’s entertain the idea. IF Sony met with Microsoft to discuss the activsion deal, in spite of winning in every regulatory body that matters so far, it would be because Sony has extracted every thing they want from an agreement with Microsoft AND have acquisitions of their own they plan on making relatively soon, because they don’t want to shut the door entirely on industry acquisitions. That or Microsoft has told them they intend to leave the console market and that’s a condition Sony would agree to endorse the deal. With that said I think it’s fanboy cope and day dreams and I don’t think Sony has met with Microsoft, in Seattle.
I also just realized that any theoretical talks could also potentially be legal/subpoena related rather than about COD.

I think if the deal gets blocked or heavily watered down, any future acquisitions would have to be on a small enough scale to where the regulators won't care.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I also just realized that any theoretical talks could also potentially be legal/subpoena related rather than about COD.

I think if the deal gets blocked or heavily watered down, any future acquisitions would have to be on a small enough scale to where the regulators won't care.
As to your last part I think that suits Sony just fine. They invested in epic and from software, probably sqaure enix too judging from their behavior. I think Sony prefers investments and partnerships than outright acquisitions, unless it’s a smaller tried and tested already established partnership. We’ll see though.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Screenshot-20230217-100508-Chrome.jpg

6e056df3d401167288caa8c20d98561369b7d52c.png

I really hope this deal fails.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
IMO if I was the CMA, I'd allow for the deal to go through if MS was able to acquire King only. They said this was about mobile, so I'd force them to divest in Activision and Blizzard.
I agree and that will set a example for MS or other companies to be upfront and honest about their reasons to acquire more large gaming developers or publishers. They downplayed the reason so they should only get King and have to sell off the rest.

D

Deleted member 417

They're now getting into conspiracy theories about flights and think that Sony gave up on fighting the deal because they're afraid of getting in trouble over 3rd party exclusives. Seems like copium.
That Lawyer (Florian) sneaks in a lot of "maybe", "supposedly" and "probably" into his tweets, rendering his 'facts' as nothing more than speculation and opinion.