Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think with meta, xbox, and hololens faltering and a general downturn in big tech i really think microsoft will be gun shy about putting major money into gaming without the prospect of cornering the market like they were attempting to. King is not enough to get a foot in the door of mobile, at least not to be a major player.

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
Jez Corden (apologies) article about potential backup plans if the deal is abandoned. Most of these seem like dumb revenge fiction to me, which is par for the course for a biased source like Jez, but I wanted to get some other opinions. The investments option seems like the least harmful / most realistic of what he spitballs here.

He really writes like a special person

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Jez Corden (apologies) article about potential backup plans if the deal is abandoned. Most of these seem like dumb revenge fiction to me, which is par for the course for a biased source like Jez, but I wanted to get some other opinions. The investments option seems like the least harmful / most realistic of what he spitballs here.

Nadella has a plan for them if things don't work out....

treehouse of horror murder GIF

He calls it his Mixer 2 plan.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
More details about who's supposed to be at the hearing.

via Idas

View attachment 582

Funny that he mentions practically every group that supports the acquisition... European Game Developer Federation... who are mostly mobile focused and only seem to care about breaking up the Google and Apple duopoly and could care less about consoles.

EA...who have always backed MSFT and partnered with them at every turn. Even have their EA sub inside gamepass.

Valve, started and run by an ex MSFT employee and run on Windows devices for the most part.

You get the idea....

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Funny that he mentions practically every group that supports the acquisition... European Game Developer Federation... who are mostly mobile focused and only seem to care about breaking up the Google and Apple duopoly and could care less about consoles.

EA...who have always backed MSFT and partnered with them at every turn. Even have their EA sub inside gamepass.

Valve, started and run by an ex MSFT employee and run on Windows devices for the most part.

You get the idea....
EA and Ubisoft are so weird. They make most of their money on Playstation but throughout their history they always backed MS with exclusive games and deals.

At least Sony had 2K and...Activision 💀

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

I'm sorry, but Jez is a brainlet. "Playstation-like exclusivity deals"? You mean like what Microsoft already does? Nothing stopped Microsoft from outbidding Sony in the past for big games, it's just that Microsoft lacked common sense and did not care about gaming enough to do so. Also people like Jez don't realize, that just having more money doesn't mean you get the deal. 3P devs and pubs, especially for AAA games, actually WANT their games to achieve critical and commercial success. They want a platform holder as a partner, who can help their games gain a sense of prestige through brand association, and achieve stronger sales potential and revenue than they maybe would've gotten without that marketing deal.

Microsoft can't provide these because they let the Xbox brand wither away over the pas 5-7 years. The only way they can build some sense of prestige and strength back to the brand is to rely on their 1P output, something they still seem to be struggling with. Without that their brand will never be attractive enough to attract the types of 3P AAA deals that PlayStation or even Nintendo (when Nintendo wants to go for them) are able to attract. And, Sony & Nintendo have that allure and prestige with their brands because they've managed them well over multiple generations, and have had multiple 1P games that have set standards in some way creatively & commercially over those generations, consistently. They earned that prestige, they didn't just go out to try buying it when 1P wasn't up to snuff.

But never once do people like Jez Corden think about that, because they are too narrow-minded. Not a single one of his suggestions focused on what should actually matter: strengthening their current 1P output. Ensuring the output from the studios they already own is high-quality, varied, and has mass-market mainstream appeal. Focused on pushing their games, not services as if the service were the game itself. But Microsoft keep people like Jez Corden around to steer the flock, and because (most likely) upper management at Xbox itself don't seem to realize that their problems can be easily fixed with what they already have. They're just too lazy of focus, persistence & dedication (and lack the patience) to cultivate those outcomes organically.

They think you can buy those results, but you simply can't.

If they're talking back up plans, then the deal is dead.

Considering Jez is so tied to the hip with Microsoft, if he's publicly writing this article, he might already know something to the effect of what you're saying, through the MS grapevine.

I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Microsoft can't provide these because they let the Xbox brand wither away over the pas 5-7 years. The only way they can build some sense of prestige and strength back to the brand is to rely on their 1P output, something they still seem to be struggling with. Without that their brand will never be attractive enough to attract the types of 3P AAA deals that PlayStation or even Nintendo (when Nintendo wants to go for them) are able to attract. And, Sony & Nintendo have that allure and prestige with their brands because they've managed them well over multiple generations, and have had multiple 1P games that have set standards in some way creatively & commercially over those generations, consistently. They earned that prestige, they didn't just go out to try buying it when 1P wasn't up to snuff.

But never once do people like Jez Corden think about that, because they are too narrow-minded. Not a single one of his suggestions focused on what should actually matter: strengthening their current 1P output. Ensuring the output from the studios they already own is high-quality, varied, and has mass-market mainstream appeal. Focused on pushing their games, not services as if the service were the game itself. But Microsoft keep people like Jez Corden around to steer the flock, and because (most likely) upper management at Xbox itself don't seem to realize that their problems can be easily fixed with what they already have. They're just too lazy of focus, persistence & dedication (and lack the patience) to cultivate those outcomes organically.

They think you can buy those results, but you simply can't.

When I watched the fallout of the Zenimax deal, what MS did with it - I realized it's not about succeeding in the gaming industry for them. It's about dominating and controlling it. When they announced their bid to buy ABK, that was more confirmation as was the boasting about how they weren't done with acquisitions yet. Over the years, I've watched this absolute refusal of MS to focus on games and particularly their first-party output. The people in charge during the earlier years were different, but those people are long gone now. Phil is the perfect representation of current XBox - talk, talk, talk, lie, lie, etc.

I don't see how the ABK deal goes through now, at least in its original form. There's far too much opposition to it and it's because regulators called it for exactly what it is - anti-competitive and it will bring harm to consumers in the future (as the Zenimax deal already has). I think Zenimax was the test case for regulators and gamers alike - and MS absolutely showed their hand for what they're trying to do to the gaming market with how they handled it. I'm not sure where they go from here, but I agree with you that they already have the tools to fix their current issues. They have for a long time now, but creating and selling great gaming experiences doesn't seem to align with their goals. Unless there is some great shake-up in leadership at MS, I don't see that changing either.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
More details about who's supposed to be at the hearing.

via Idas

View attachment 582
Alot of folks are hoping the 10 year deal is enough, this should be proof enough that EC won't be happy with that deal and they will have to find away of allowing cod and possibly other games on rival cloud services. I'd think the EC will want a fair price for the licensing aswell, assuming the EC aren't complete morons and allow microsoft to dictate the pricing. MS can't be happy with that SO.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
EA and Ubisoft are so weird. They make most of their money on Playstation but throughout their history they always backed MS with exclusive games and deals.

At least Sony had 2K and...Activision 💀
I think its the East vs West split. Western publishers will always back Microsoft regardless of how well sony is doing. And yes EA is extremely close to Microsoft, in fact if i remember correctly they were the ones pushing for the xbox one initial policies and were tied to the hip to the xbox one reveal.

D

Deleted member 417

I think its the East vs West split. Western publishers will always back Microsoft regardless of how well sony is doing. And yes EA is extremely close to Microsoft, in fact if i remember correctly they were the ones pushing for the xbox one initial policies and were tied to the hip to the xbox one reveal.
Was it EA and microsoft who were of the belief that single-player games were 'dead'

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
EA believed in Bone DRM so much that they gave MS the biggest launch exclusive of last generation.

PEGGLE 2!

(I’d paste in that GIF, but I’m too lazy today)

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
EA believed in Bone DRM so much that they gave MS the biggest launch exclusive of last generation.

PEGGLE 2!

(I’d paste in that GIF, but I’m too lazy today)
They had titanfall as a (to this day) full blown exclsuive and marketing deals for battlefield 4, fifa, and madden. They were all in on the xbone. EA, for whatever reason loves microsoft.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Idas says it's unlikely that we hear exactly what is said at the upcoming hearing. We will hear about the kinds of remedies Microsoft try to offer though.

In other news, the thread has descended into posters complaining about PlayStation having third party exclusives and arguing that their library being bigger than Xbox's means they have a monopoly. They're also upset that people seemed to be angrier about Tomb Raider being timed last gen than ff7r being timed.

hearing.PNG