Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Honestly this just seems like a bluff from microsoft, and FTC are falling for it hook line and sinker.

MS would have to also close over the CMA for this to work, and i don't see that going down well with CAT who will probably see these as an aggressive move to force the deal through. If the appeal already wasn't a losing battle it would be dead before it even started, as not only would they be showing contempt for the CMA but also CAT.

I don't buy ABK removing the CMA from their mandatory approvals and leaving the UK fantasy.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
You know when SenjutsuSage overwhelm a forum with his wisdom, that forum is fucked up then ( btw. you have right to guess once about to which person he spoked)

tmdt8gI.jpeg

And @Welfare allowed MS astroturfer to be there.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Honestly this just seems like a bluff from microsoft, and FTC are falling for it hook line and sinker.

MS would have to also close over the CMA for this to work, and i don't see that going down well with CAT who will probably see these as an aggressive move to force the deal through. If the appeal already wasn't a losing battle it would be dead before it even started, as not only would they be showing contempt for the CMA but also CAT.

I don't buy ABK removing the CMA from their mandatory approvals and leaving the UK fantasy.
This is all just a fig leaf so MS can drop the deal and say they did their best to make it happen. This guarantees the deal won’t be closed by the drop dead date, and once the injunction is filed, they can walk away because there’s no chance of closing it.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
As Activisions biggest franchise turns to shit in their hands....

What is there left worth anything beyond King, I ask in all seriousness!

COD is seriously getting destroyed out there.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You know when SenjutsuSage overwhelm a forum with his wisdom, that forum is fucked up then ( btw. you have right to guess once about to which person he spoked)

tmdt8gI.jpeg

And @Welfare allowed MS astroturfer to be there.
I don't think it's a big deal if Senjutsu posts on Installbase. That's a very small community.

You don't have to tag Welfare. He gets attacked so much here I feel bad 😕

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Thing is, altering the contract in any way would automatically violate the CMA prohibition on future mergers, as it would constitute a new deal in the eyes of the law.

They are forbidden from merging and forbidden from new negotiations toward a merger if they don’t win an appeal and convince the CMA to reverse their decision to prohibit.

Anyone thinking that the deal can be altered at this stage is dumber than the ones thinking MS would pull out of the UK over the deal.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Thing is, altering the contract in any way would automatically violate the CMA prohibition on future mergers, as it would constitute a new deal in the eyes of the law.

They are forbidden from merging and forbidden from new negotiations toward a merger if they don’t win an appeal and convince the CMA to reverse their decision to prohibit.

Anyone thinking that the deal can be altered at this stage is dumber than the ones thinking MS would pull out of the UK over the deal.
No deal for 10 years.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

BigSkinny

27 Apr 2023

Not doubting you, just curious if it says that in the decision or if that’s just general form for UK merger law

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
So should the FTC have waited to file an injunction or not in everyone's opinion? That Kotick email also seems like he still wants to continue fighting for the merger, but that could just be showboating to keep stock values up and the investors may not want to grant an extension. It would be weird for them to have complained so much about the CAT trial starting date otherwise.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
So should the FTC have waited to file an injunction or not in everyone's opinion? That Kotick email also seems like he still wants to continue fighting for the merger, but that could just be showboating to keep stock values up and the investors may not want to grant an extension. It would be weird for them to have complained so much about the CAT trial starting date otherwise.
My understanding is even if the ftc loses the injunction, they can still have their trial in august. This is an attempt to just outright stop the deal immediately.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Not doubting you, just curious if it says that in the decision or if that’s just general form for UK merger law
It is in the CMA decision.

There is a ten-year prohibition on the two companies making any form of investments in each other. Renegotiating their current deal would mean abandoning it, which forfeits their appeal and makes a new deal illegal due to the ten-year ban.

Reactions: BigSkinny

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
My understanding is even if the ftc loses the injunction, they can still have their trial in august. This is an attempt to just outright stop the deal immediately.
That's my understanding as well, I'm just wondering why the FTC chose now to do so. Maybe they caught wind of rumors that MS were going to try and find a way to close without the UK and are doing this in order to prevent them from pulling a fast one before their deadline.