Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
If they could, Microsoft would have bought into Japan a long time ago. And I don't think it's just a political issue at all, it's just that the people there, developers and executives, just don't want it, and the money just doesn't matter much. The Japanese just don't like Microsoft. Most would just leave the company once MS bought them, Microsoft is 100% aware of that. In fact. I bet MS won't touch anything in Japan even if they want it above all else.
it remembers me, how UFC bought Pride. all Pride employees left and created new organization 😂

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
So, you agree killing the ABK deal won’t necessarily deter MS from trying to dominate the gaming Industry.

Well no, I'm saying if they lose ABK, the same logics would apply to the next person they would turn their attention to.

Reactions: Arminius
25 Jun 2023
Sony had a pre-existing agreement with Mojang to keep Minecraft on PlayStation prio to Microsoft acquisition. Possibly one reason why Phil Spencer wanted to make Minecraft exclusive but did not.
has this been stated during the hearings? if so are there any documents/screenshots avaiable?

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Take this with a grain of salt given the source, but Sega is supposedly not interested in being acquired for now. They think Xbox appreciates them the most out of any platform holder though, which is dumb imo.

Sega and bad business decisions go together like:

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Just amusing to me how they don't seem to put together that they were getting treated extra nice because they were being courted for an acquisition.
Also that they were being set up to devalue their IPs and games, making them sell less in the future and become more dependent of future services deals.

At lest now we have Bobby Kotick telling it how it is.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
SEGA's IP's are not that valued to begin with hence why the subscription deals are attractive. Specially for old worn down content. If SEGA had a COD or Battlefield level IP inhouse then it wouldn't be as welcoming to "devalue" their IPs. Even with Persona, we are still talking old ass ports or for Yakuza, recouping dev costs on a non-selling platform and hedging on a potential dud on the selling platform (absolutely a no-brainer for a mid-at-best IP). It's not so much devauling something that has very little value to begin with compared to the rest out there.

If you look at the many pubs there are, Sony's money is better placed going elsewhere, and naturally that has been the decision made - with Capcom IPs for example. Square is Sony's favorite Japanese bum that Sony likes to prop, with Konami on occasion as well. That leaves SEGA out with their geriatric mismanaged IPs, and mid IPs. Naturally SEGA will feel like they're being left to the way side, and of course that's what happening so they'll welcome a desperate MS, and MS welcomes a desperate SEGA in a tight embrace of old mid at best content on one side, and survival revenue stream on the other. I see nothing wrong in that equation. Only thing I harp about is that if you're going to do an exclusivity deal or marketing deal, your clause better be 100% tight shut. MS doing that is competence. Sony not doing that is stupidity (unless you're getting the deal for peanuts aka a massive discount).

Last edited: