Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Embarrassing article from thegamer. Look at the state of media reporting on this:

Firstly, the both sidesy title: "Xbox and PlayStation are both lying to you"

PlayStation has made no representations to the public on this acquisition except to correct Spencer's lie about the contract terms offered.

Next, gems like this:

The core element has nothing to do with Sony, and Jim's email (singular) was before Xbox started to offer wholly inadequate deals which allowed for COD to be pulled off PlayStation in the future.

Hypocritical at best, yes. Where lying would be above that bar. But the exclusive comment is absurd. Nintendo pioneered it and Microsoft developed it in the 360 era with timed exclusives. There is no lie in expecting or requesting that ABK games remain multiplatform like they would under an independent ABK.

Speaking of lies, here's one from the article author

When?? He even said Starfield being exclusive was fine.

Someone email the idiot this thread. I see over 500 pages of reasons.

(Phil is pulled up for lying about the Sega acquisition and the terms of the deals. That's it.)
These people keep spreading this lie that Sony were the ones who made the industry about exclusives when they have been used to distinguish consoles before Sony even entered the industry. Exclusive content isn't even unique to the gaming industry.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Something im confused about is if the FTC is granted their injunction Bobby Kotick says the deals over, but if the FTC loses the injunction the deal isnt over even if the CAT trial isnt until after the break up day of July 18th?

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Something im confused about is if the FTC is granted their injunction Bobby Kotick says the deals over, but if the FTC loses the injunction the deal isnt over even if the CAT trial isnt until after the break up day of July 18th?
sounds like if they win against the ftc they will renegotiate with ms and extend the deadline.

Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022
MS biggest argument against the CMA is that the cloud supposedly isn't a market. I don't see how they win on that front.

Especially considering Satya Nadella himself has admitted that cloud IS a unique market. The cancelled xCloud Game Pass Xbox is further proof of it (including the conspicuous timing of its cancellation, though that can be also be pinned on MS putting too many systems on the market at once).

If that's the best MS has against the CMA, then they've already lost.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
MS biggest argument against the CMA is that the cloud supposedly isn't a market. I don't see how they win on that front.
I don't see either.

Here's a list of who thinks cloud gaming is a market other then the CMA.

1. FTC
2. Federal Judging ruling on the injunction(She didn't say explicitly cloud gaming is a market, but made a distinction between console and cloud when comparing it to dvds and netflix), Her views can change for the final ruling, but she seemed convinced on the distinction).
3. Satya nadella called it a market to in a comms to investors
4. EC
5. South Korea
6. Possibly canada - we haven't seen their findings in full so haven't seen them explicitly call it a market, but they mentioned consoles, subscription services and cloud separately when they corrected microsoft that they did have an SLC in those areas.
7. Possibly other regulators whose findings we haven't even seen(e.g. japan)

Right now, CAT ruling against CMA that it isn't a market could end up being irrational.

Last edited:

Arminius

19 May 2023
I don't see either.

Here's a list of who thinks cloud gaming is a market other then the CMA.

1. FTC
2. Federal Judging ruling on the injunction(She didn't say explicitly cloud gaming is a market, but made a distinction between console and cloud when comparing it to dvds and netflix), Her views can change for the final ruling, but she seemed convinced on the distinction).
3. Satya nadella called it a market to in a comms to investors
4. EC
5. South Korea
6. Possibly canada - we haven't seen their findings in full so haven't seen them explicitly call it a market, but they mentioned consoles, subscription services and cloud separately when they corrected microsoft that they did have an SLC in those areas.
7. Possibly other regulators whose findings we haven't even seen(e.g. japan)

Right now, CAT ruling against CMA that it isn't a market could end up being irrational.
I thought the CAT couldn’t override the CMA’s decision.

25 Jun 2023
can someone direct me to that post, where someone made a list/overview of how biased news sites are...there was one article about the Microsoft not allowing games on other services, while all other articles where in favor of xbox...maybe someone knows what i mean :LOL:

Edit: nvm, found it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cool hand luke

kuzon

23 Jun 2023

CMA found that there less competition in fuel market and prices increased by 6p per litre between 2019-2022

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I think we were all both surprised at her lack of knowledge and how dismissive that seemed.... of course it makes sense if we consider the situation with her son and how she might be motivated to make excuses for this to go through.
I don't think it's quite that insidious. It sounded like your typical Boomer/Early GenX comment on video games. Back when your mom called every console a "Nintendo" and every handheld a "Game Boy". My issue is that someone just genuinely that uninformed about video games is making a decision that would so heavily impact that market.

Like if you really think that the Switch is a comparable system but better because you can play it in handheld mode without even understanding the sacrifices made there... not a great look.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

CMA found that there less competition in fuel market and prices increased by 6p per litre between 2019-2022

This is what big companies do, they only want to suck as much money out of you as possible.
Regulate the fuck out of them.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

This is really absurd how European Commission acts. They investigate them for trivial matters nobody cares about but not for the biggest acquisition in tech sector.
EUC is just farce, their existence is pointless.

Wonder how long before cloud companies sues MS for bundling Windows, Gamepass, Azure if you buy an xbox?
😂
The EC was stupid for trusting them.

Suzaku

4 May 2023

This is really absurd how European Commission acts. They investigate them for trivial matters nobody cares about but not for the biggest acquisition in tech sector.
EUC is just farce, their existence is pointless.

Not trivial by any means. Ms is forcing its way with a "all in one" solution for private companies and public administrations all around Europe offering cloud, videoconference and productivity suite. Other companies can't compete with the "full package" Ms offers or are heavily undercutted by price. I am a victim of it, so am forced to use that shitty program.

Last edited: