Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
No, it started in November 19, 2021 and the deal was announced in Jan 2022. It literally took a couple of weeks. This is official info from the SEC.

You don't think they were in talks for a while before officially announcing their intentions? All I'm saying is, the sky isn't falling just because they didn't announce that they're buying Square for example while all of this is going on.

Reactions: Arminius

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Incorrect, talks began at least a couple of years ago. Sony buying all this stuff to retaliate isn't some magic shit that can happen instantly and they're just not willing to do it. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment to expect a response this soon.
What we can say for certainly, Sony made their resolve.

They published this statement just one day after Microsoft and Activision Blizzard were celebrating in their PR Blitz their victory against FTC. This a declaration for war!

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
What we can say for certainly, Sony made their resolve. They published this statement just one day after Microsoft and Activision Blizzard were celebrating in their PR Blitz their victory against FTC. This a declaration for war!
Which statement?

Edit: I see, it didn't load for me.

Last edited:

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
To be fair you are right, what has Microsoft create. I can only think of is Forza.

Halo was Bungie child and after they got sicked of Microsoft for demand to milk it they just buy their freedom. 343 was built from ground up by MS themseleves for Halo but it bombs hard.

Gears of War was created by Epic and same fate as Halo.

Back in PS3 era Sony got only 2 IPs, not only they succeeded in elevate those IPs they create a bunch more. They didn't buy their way into success.

MS used to have some ground but they destroyed it all by their absolute incompetency and now they blame Sony?
This isn’t about even doing well, this is just about pushing a competitor out the market. They don’t care about game quality now so just imagine if they actually had a monopoly like they do with windows the game quality would be even more atrocious if that’s even possible.

You see all the stutter gate stuff with games on pc which as a console gamer I do chuckle at the irony of the supposed “master race” held back by a monopoly because apple can’t challenge Microsoft.

That won’t happen in the console space because Sony is too established and has built up enough IP that even if Microsoft through corruption is able to buyout more IP’s Sony will have the capacity to hit back and hit back hard because we’ve seen what Microsoft does with slum dunk IP’s like halo already so no IP in itself is big enough anymore to kill Sony because they can just make their own and make it way better than Microsoft ever will just looking at what they can’t even achieve with something like Halo.

DForce

Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I'm not sure what the UK laws are, but how can MS close if the CMA doesn't accept any remedies?

Arminius

19 May 2023
I didn’t know if they can.

Then again, Microsoft is almost a quadrillion dollar corporation. /jk

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
ATVI still part of Russell 1000 Index, Russell 3000 Index, Nasdaq Composite, S&P 500 Index.
The Nasdaq Composite includes almost everything listed on Nasdaq so that makes sense, wouldn't be suprised to see them leave S&P soon and am not familiar with the Russel Indexes.

Edit: Just looked the Russels up and they are made of the largest 1000 and 3000 publicly traded US companies by market cap so it makes sense that they will keep Activision until it ceases to trade.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm not sure what the UK laws are, but how can MS close if the CMA doesn't accept any remedies?
The surface level stuff is that they can't, unless they are willing to run a business in the UK illegally.

If you believe cynical theories, there's some who say that there's so much money involved, that the CMA was compromised and they figure something out to make it work.

I still think the most likely conclusion is that the deal was dead the moment the CMA delivered their final report.

ABK will happily take the 3 billion and continue business has usual.

ABK shareholders haven't lost a damn thing. Their stock is now hovering in the high 80s. We have spent a year and a half talking about Call of Duty and how it's an essential input. They also have cash on hand for their own investment.

Microsoft haven't lost much. Looking online, the media and shills, and even some so called 'gamers' are siding with them. I'm sure they will spin the deal being abandoned in some way.

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
Phil says it about Kings so....
Go ahead, divest Activision
Would be a pretty hilarious outcome.. ms paying 70billion to divest activision when it wanted another monopoly

I still find it astonishing how now we’ve seen the emails from the green rats showing that it was all about killing Sony and not “about the gamers” that anyone can still shill for ms with a straight face.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Would be a pretty hilarious outcome.. ms paying 70billion to divest activision when it wanted another monopoly

I still find it astonishing how now we’ve seen the emails from the green rats showing that it was all about killing Sony and not “about the gamers” that anyone can still shill for ms with a straight face.

see-no-evil.jpg

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
I can't believe how some of you can say this.

The CAT appeal has been stopped because the merger in it's current form in the uk is no longer being pursued by MS they want to modify it.

What do you want the CMA to do here? Go to trial with MS with the CAT on a deal that is no longer valid?
Do you think it's a coincidence that Microsoft suddenly has an epiphany to change the deal now after it had many, many chances to do so during the review period?