Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
Denied again. The FTC is completely powerless. Microsoft is basically the government and the judges are on their side. Lina should leave at this point. They don't want the FTC to even investigate. Nothing. Just let it go through.

It was always clear that in the US nothing will happen to block the deal.

In the last 15 years, Microsoft had no problems with regulators in the US.

You know what’s interesting? All the other biggest tech companies like Apple, Google and Amazon all have currently an ongoing investigation by the DOJ going on.

There was much scrutiny because of the power of the big tech companies, one company that was missing in this dialog was always Microsoft.

And now, seeing that former Microsoft advisors are joining the EU Committee I wouldn’t be shocked if Microsoft’s regulator troubles in the EU will also come to an end.

The FTC suing will mean nothing, it will get result in them losing. That’s why Microsoft was always confident to close over them.

I also can see them putting pressure on the CMA in the background.

Everyone was so sure that the deal is dead because the CMA can practically not be overturned.

What’s baffling to me is people seem to forget we are taking about a $3 trillion market cap company that is involved in countless institutions. It’s not comparable to any other instance in which the CMA blocked something.

So I feel like people just hold on to the last straws and arguing that it’s still 50/50 or still looking grim for Microsoft.

It’s already decided, Microsoft knows that one way or another they will get this done and they know what to do to get this done.

And even after this acquisition they will not be done, why would they? It’s fair game now.

24 Jun 2022
Game Director @inXile

I mean when even Xbox studio developers are posting this, and considering the likelihood MS & the CMA come to some type of agreement (and MS & ABK agree to other terms allowing them to close the deal in the markets where it's already either been approved or a block has failed, like the U.S), then yeah I guess this saga is finally coming to a close.

For Microsoft, buying is the easy part. Actually doing something meaningful with what they've bought, especially anything related to entertainment, is the part they seem to seldom ever get right.

They're not going to lose them regardless what happens. Microsoft tried twice to entice them and they waved them away. You need to calm down with your hard on in multiple threads saying that they have to buy them they don't and Square would have to be willing to be bought.

It's not just Microsoft; it's other companies looking to get into the industry like Apple, Amazon, Tencent etc. who might sweep up publishers like Square-Enix, and then favor to give Microsoft preferential access to that content, or be unwilling to let Sony work with Square-Enix in the capacity we've been seeing them work at current. Let alone one of them deciding they want to, say, use that content exclusively for their own streaming service or digital storefront., or setting licensing costs for Sony to get the content on their platform & services much higher than they currently are.

There's also the long-term impact of brand optics to early adopters and enthusiasts, who might see it as part of a trend in Sony losing key access (or even access) to various 3P partners & content, and decide against picking up the next console due to that, or feeling they'll get a better deal if say Microsoft acquires them and makes it all "free" in Game Pass. And while MS might have failed before to entice these pubs, there's no saying they would fail another time.

Also considering how close Sony x Square-Enix already are, I don't think Square-Enix would take a lot of convincing by Sony to enter an acquisition agreement. But in that sense you are right, Square-Enix would have to want to sell.

I think they are willing to be acquired by Sony.
There are too many events that happened between Sony and Square Enix. I simply won’t believe it’s just pure coincidences.
MS attempted to buy Square Enix in 2020. Square rejected them. Sony got reported that MS wanted to buy Square Enix. Same majority of shareholders so very likely Sony got informed. Then Greg Miller and Jeff Grubb both heard from different sources in early 2021 that Sony has only interest in Square Enix. A long key-executive of Square Enix with Shinji Hashimoto declared his retirement due of age. A couple of weeks later he gets hired by Sony Music for an executive role. In 2022 Embracer buying the entire western arm of Square Enix. Eidos Interactive Founder speaks in an interview about this divestiture of their western arm. He states it’s because Sony is only interested in the Japanese part of Square Enix. Sony double dips on Manga to Anime Adaptions of Square Enix treasure drove. Previously Team Asano games exclusive to Nintendo such as Octopath and Live a Live hitting PS but not Xbox. FF7R didn’t launch on Xbox, neither will FFXVI. Square Enix announcing to move into a new and bigger HQ close to Sony’s in Shibuya. Targeting 2023 November for move. Matsuda declares his retirement. The new appointed CEO is coming from a Metaverse company. Am company Sony previously invested in. There is no way in hell this are all random coincidences. I bet on it.

God dang dude, you've been keeping tabs and did your homework. Also FWIW, I believe someone from Capcom retired last year and joined Sony. Not sure which department though.

But yeah, there are a LOT of coincidences here. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Pretty much 90% sure Sony will be acquiring Square-Enix within the next year or so (time of announcement & going through regulatory process).

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah, im not really sure what Sony is going to do to counter this but they better act fast 😅

They’ve had over a year and a half to work out deals and investments, i hope concord and fairgame$ isn’ it. Microsoft a bigger contributors to Sonys bottom line than EA and Take Two is now

DemonRavana

30 Jun 2023
Yeah, im not really sure what Sony is going to do to counter this but they better act fast 😅

They’ve had over a year and a half to work out deals and investments, i hope concord and fairgame$ isn’ it. Microsoft a bigger contributors to Sonys bottom line than EA and Take Two is now

I get his point but I think worldwide it'll still be EA. MS will just be their 2nd most important 3rd party lol

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Yea with Jason Schrier reporting that unless something goes horribly wrong by Monday/Tuesday this ABK is with MS at this point.

That racist fuckhead has no idea and is once again reporting from a position where America has the last word in this or is the only obstacle.

I wouldn't be surprised if many journalists or commentators read the since corrected report from CNBC that said CMA had accepted a small divestiture and just took that as gospel given how few outlets are actually reporting that the CMA said the deal is still blocked.

DForce

24 Jun 2022

The only thing I see from Jason is this.

The only thing I've heard within the past few days are..

1. CMA are required to accept Microsoft's request for possible new remedies.
2. MS only made an offer.
3. CMA needs until late August.

This deal will probably go through, but it just seems like many people are making assumptions.

DemonRavana

30 Jun 2023
Still too big a presence in PlayStation's ecosystem revenue to be comfortable for Sony.

Absolutely, and I honestly don't know if there is any real answer to it. ABK is just such a mammoth prize that I don't really see an easy counter that Sony can make to equalize things, save for merging with EA (which isn't going to happen).

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

There’s nothing Sony can do about this. It’s impossible to compete on the same level of a trillion dollar company. MS is on a path to destroy gaming as everything they touch turns to trash. Basically, if they succeed, this industry will die a slow death on the hands of MS and I’ll turn to other hobbies.

Arminius

19 May 2023
I mean when even Xbox studio developers are posting this, and considering the likelihood MS & the CMA come to some type of agreement (and MS & ABK agree to other terms allowing them to close the deal in the markets where it's already either been approved or a block has failed, like the U.S), then yeah I guess this saga is finally coming to a close.

For Microsoft, buying is the easy part. Actually doing something meaningful with what they've bought, especially anything related to entertainment, is the part they seem to seldom ever get right.

It's not just Microsoft; it's other companies looking to get into the industry like Apple, Amazon, Tencent etc. who might sweep up publishers like Square-Enix, and then favor to give Microsoft preferential access to that content, or be unwilling to let Sony work with Square-Enix in the capacity we've been seeing them work at current. Let alone one of them deciding they want to, say, use that content exclusively for their own streaming service or digital storefront., or setting licensing costs for Sony to get the content on their platform & services much higher than they currently are.

There's also the long-term impact of brand optics to early adopters and enthusiasts, who might see it as part of a trend in Sony losing key access (or even access) to various 3P partners & content, and decide against picking up the next console due to that, or feeling they'll get a better deal if say Microsoft acquires them and makes it all "free" in Game Pass. And while MS might have failed before to entice these pubs, there's no saying they would fail another time.

Also considering how close Sony x Square-Enix already are, I don't think Square-Enix would take a lot of convincing by Sony to enter an acquisition agreement. But in that sense you are right, Square-Enix would have to want to sell.

God dang dude, you've been keeping tabs and did your homework. Also FWIW, I believe someone from Capcom retired last year and joined Sony. Not sure which department though.

But yeah, there are a LOT of coincidences here. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Pretty much 90% sure Sony will be acquiring Square-Enix within the next year or so (time of announcement & going through regulatory process).
Why would a company like Apple or Alphabet (Google) give MS preferential treatment over Sony? Do these giant mega corporations stick together?

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Why would a company like Apple or Alphabet (Google) give MS preferential treatment over Sony? Do these giant mega corporations stick together?
They could. If Apple wants to create a console then they will give preferential treatment to themselves. It's one more publisher that Sony can't work with if they are owned by someone else or worse MS.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I can guarantee all of you here. If Microsoft is successful on this plan of theirs, they will break both Sony and Nintendo and will buy both. And this gen will be the last one we get with great games.
on the bright side, the chances of them succeeding is not that great. Their management sucks and the merger process between Microsoft and ABK will be colossally complex to the point they’ll have massive problems while doing it.
This is such a double edged sword I can’t even begin to fathom how they’ll solve all the issues this merge will bring to MS.
Also. They’ll kill CoD, just like they’re killing Minecraft.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
If CMA accepts a deal that they cannot run cloud gaming in the UK, then that's weak.

If MS offered to give up several major IPs outside of COD and King mobile games, then that would probably be reasonable. That's a very complicated task, but if a small divestment in the cloud is accepted, then these regulators are easily swayed.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Absolutely, and I honestly don't know if there is any real answer to it. ABK is just such a mammoth prize that I don't really see an easy counter that Sony can make to equalize things, save for merging with EA (which isn't going to happen).

Best shot they would have is if someone buys off EA’s sports game division and sony grabs the other side

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It was always clear that in the US nothing will happen to block the deal.

In the last 15 years, Microsoft had no problems with regulators in the US.

You know what’s interesting? All the other biggest tech companies like Apple, Google and Amazon all have currently an ongoing investigation by the DOJ going on.

There was much scrutiny because of the power of the big tech companies, one company that was missing in this dialog was always Microsoft.

And now, seeing that former Microsoft advisors are joining the EU Committee I wouldn’t be shocked if Microsoft’s regulator troubles in the EU will also come to an end.

The FTC suing will mean nothing, it will get result in them losing. That’s why Microsoft was always confident to close over them.

I also can see them putting pressure on the CMA in the background.

Everyone was so sure that the deal is dead because the CMA can practically not be overturned.

What’s baffling to me is people seem to forget we are taking about a $3 trillion market cap company that is involved in countless institutions. It’s not comparable to any other instance in which the CMA blocked something.

So I feel like people just hold on to the last straws and arguing that it’s still 50/50 or still looking grim for Microsoft.

It’s already decided, Microsoft knows that one way or another they will get this done and they know what to do to get this done.

And even after this acquisition they will not be done, why would they? It’s fair game now.
Microsoft did a masterstroke as really rebranding as an enterprise/cloud company since the 80s. DOJ pretty much gave them the smackdown about their consumer facing browser bundle and they never wanted to repeat that mistake. I feel like rarely do big enterprise companies get investigated for their shady practices like Oracle, MS, Cisco, IBM etc.

Though I feel like these recent years they've been flexing their acquisition muscles with these large purchases like Github, LinkedIn,Open AI, Acti, which is why they're in hot water now. Sadly we live under a system where power is bought so they will keep gobbling up everything that their investors will allow and slighlty change the terms until these fraud officials can say they tried.

Reactions: Dabaus

Arminius

19 May 2023
Corporations are too big to fail.But I’d imagine if MS bought Japanese companies like SE, Capcom, Konami, and even Sony and Nintendo, etc., there would likely be a mass exodus of talent.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Just want to remind everyone freaking out about this that Microsoft's MO is to put on a huge media spin campaign to ratchet up political pressure.

Key points didn't change:

-The CMA blocked the deal.
-Microsoft went and threw a huge hissy fit and as a result, the British government expanded the CMA's ability to regulate.
-One of the main objections to behavioral remedies by the CMA was the difficulty of policing them.
-A minor restructuring of the deal would be hard to police.

Today we have news that
-Microsoft are ending the Gamepass family plan
-One of their major marketing guys is leaving
-The narrative lead of one of their major AAA upcoming titles is leaving.

Now, why would that happen if all is well and "welcome to the family ABK"?