Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don't think this post is the burn that you intend it to be?

Rare keeps getting distracted by Sea of Thieves, and I feel like Everwild suffers as a result.

As someone who played single player fortnite, I know that a GaaS can ruin everything.

Halo is fun? If you want to talk about the battle Pass, I'm not your bloke for it.

Crackdown got released. I enjoyed the gravity gun.

You obviously have an epic hate about this for some reason?

Did you try MSFS?

There's a huge difference in what XBox was during its height in 360 days to what it slowly has devolved into. If you are ok playing mediocre games and mediocre experiences more power to you.

But my money and time as I get older is very limited. So when I put time into a game I don't want it to be sub par. If I get excited for a game and it comes out and its pretty mediocre the odds of me giving that studio a chance unless they show something with promise is close to zilch.

I use to play during mid 2010-2012 my xbox more than my pc and Playstation.

Bort

8 Jan 2023
There's a huge difference in what XBox was during its height in 360 days to what it slowly has devolved into. If you are ok playing mediocre games and mediocre experiences more power to you.

But my money and time as I get older is very limited. So when I put time into a game I don't want it to be sub par. If I get excited for a game and it comes out and its pretty mediocre the odds of me giving that studio a chance unless they show something with promise is close to zilch.

I use to play during mid 2010-2012 my xbox more than my pc and Playstation.
Cheers. I'm a PS5 XSX and PC Gamer. But again, it's really not relevant, nor is the discussion on the quality of output.

(I want a Steamdeck, but I feel like I would be the first person to abuse someone with it on camera. It also isn't sold here)

24 Jun 2022
You’re probably not too far from reality.

A shareholder revolt if the FTC spanks MS could be lethal to the careers of Nadell and Phil, and could damage the company, but just walking away from the deal without a fight would be worse for the careers of the CEO and top XBox dude.

The deal dying results in MS paying out billions of dollars on top of the PR black eye, but quitting before the end of the trial goes against MS corporate culture.

Guaranteed trainwreck either way.

This might sound silly but I've been thinking the past few days, since CES actually. If MS can't get the ABK deal done...why not partner up with Tesla?

It really sounds like EV is going to become a big player of a market maybe 5-10 years from now. When high-performance supercar makers like Ferrari are investing in hybrid-electric exotic cars, you know there is a shift on the way. Sony are making big investments into that area right now with Honda on Afeela, they're getting a lot of valuable info that can be iterated on over time as the EV market grows.

Honestly, I think it has potential to have societal impact the way the iPhone did back in 2006. Just depends on what company has that breakout car model. I'm not really aware of what EV investments Microsoft has right now, but AFAIK, they have nothing on the level of what Sony & Honda have with Afeela. Tesla have a sort of partnership with Google in terms of Google hardware installed in Tesla cars, but there's nothing stopping Microsoft from offering a more comprehensive integrated package of Xbox, Windows, Office, Azure etc. with Tesla via some co-designed car model.

They obviously can't acquire Tesla (nor do I think many would want them to), but that $69 billion that would've been spent on ABK, why not refocus it to preparing for an ever-growing future in the EV industry? Microsoft have already missed out on multiple tech advances as a frontrunner in the past, from smartphones to movie/TV streaming (they had a TV/film download marketplace for 360 in 2006 but only capitalized on it with Netflix exclusivity...behind a paywall), etc. Why not try to be proactive and build towards an EV market future with a company like Tesla, instead of being reactive once that market finally reaches mainstream impact?

But that's just something I was thinking about past few days. And, probably only something they would be able to consider depending on how this ABK deal goes or if it doesn't go through. I would see it more as a partnership between MS and Tesla making a new EV with integrated MS tech (like built-in Series S & X consoles), maybe wouldn't be something ready for a good 5 years but like Sony, it could be a good growth market for a company like Microsoft. I'm just saying, if the ABK deal fails, that frees up a lot of funding budget they could allocate towards EV tech and features alongside a company already in that market (I use Telsa as an obvious go-to example, but there are other car brands investing into EV themselves).

Honestly I see MS doing something like that regardless how the ABK deal goes, I just think IF the deal fails, they won't be chunking anywhere near $69 billion ever again for something primarily driven for Xbox/Game Pass or bumping up their gaming revenue. Other parts of the company will forever take priority in spending/funding money that large going forward, and I can see the Xbox division's funding (including money for acquisitions) reduced significantly as a result. Which frees up that money for other things, like EV investments and partnerships.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This might sound silly but I've been thinking the past few days, since CES actually. If MS can't get the ABK deal done...why not partner up with Tesla?

It really sounds like EV is going to become a big player of a market maybe 5-10 years from now. When high-performance supercar makers like Ferrari are investing in hybrid-electric exotic cars, you know there is a shift on the way. Sony are making big investments into that area right now with Honda on Afeela, they're getting a lot of valuable info that can be iterated on over time as the EV market grows.

Honestly, I think it has potential to have societal impact the way the iPhone did back in 2006. Just depends on what company has that breakout car model. I'm not really aware of what EV investments Microsoft has right now, but AFAIK, they have nothing on the level of what Sony & Honda have with Afeela. Tesla have a sort of partnership with Google in terms of Google hardware installed in Tesla cars, but there's nothing stopping Microsoft from offering a more comprehensive integrated package of Xbox, Windows, Office, Azure etc. with Tesla via some co-designed car model.

They obviously can't acquire Tesla (nor do I think many would want them to), but that $69 billion that would've been spent on ABK, why not refocus it to preparing for an ever-growing future in the EV industry? Microsoft have already missed out on multiple tech advances as a frontrunner in the past, from smartphones to movie/TV streaming (they had a TV/film download marketplace for 360 in 2006 but only capitalized on it with Netflix exclusivity...behind a paywall), etc. Why not try to be proactive and build towards an EV market future with a company like Tesla, instead of being reactive once that market finally reaches mainstream impact?

But that's just something I was thinking about past few days. And, probably only something they would be able to consider depending on how this ABK deal goes or if it doesn't go through. I would see it more as a partnership between MS and Tesla making a new EV with integrated MS tech (like built-in Series S & X consoles), maybe wouldn't be something ready for a good 5 years but like Sony, it could be a good growth market for a company like Microsoft. I'm just saying, if the ABK deal fails, that frees up a lot of funding budget they could allocate towards EV tech and features alongside a company already in that market (I use Telsa as an obvious go-to example, but there are other car brands investing into EV themselves).

Honestly I see MS doing something like that regardless how the ABK deal goes, I just think IF the deal fails, they won't be chunking anywhere near $69 billion ever again for something primarily driven for Xbox/Game Pass or bumping up their gaming revenue. Other parts of the company will forever take priority in spending/funding money that large going forward, and I can see the Xbox division's funding (including money for acquisitions) reduced significantly as a result. Which frees up that money for other things, like EV investments and partnerships.
You do realize that one remedy that is likely to be applied to MS is a prohibition against buying any stock in any other companies, don’t you?

And buying Tesla makes no fucking sense anyway. There is NO corporate synergy between the two.

Seriously, this kind of company fanfic is just dumb. Put down the bong.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
You do realize that one remedy that is likely to be applied to MS is a prohibition against buying any stock in any other companies, don’t you?

Are you saying that in the case the ABK deal is approved or rejected? Because if the latter I can't see them being prohibited in buying shares of other companies.

And buying Tesla makes no fucking sense anyway. There is NO corporate synergy between the two.

Oh hell no, I've said nothing about them buying Tesla xD. They're worth close to $400 billion, MS doesn't have the money to buy them and I doubt they could take out enough loans to make up for what they lack in cash to do so.

Not aware of the history between the two companies, FWIW, but I was just considering if it were a possibility MS goes proposing to them for a joint EV venture. The probability's probably very low, but two years ago I'd of said MS trying to buy ABK was impossible to picture.

Seriously, this kind of company fanfic is just dumb. Put down the bong.

It's always worth trying at least once.

This dude leveled-up to a lawyer overnight thanks to this deal. That's amazing 🤣

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
August for an evidentiary hearing? This looks like it's gonna drag into 2024. No wonder wall street was down on this deal, that's almost 2 years of your money being locked up before realizing any gains

P

peter42O

If they do, with concessions. Then MS will continue on to close the merger and fight the FTC later

My prediction remains the same as it was last February. Acquisition closes with no restrictions everywhere. Fast forward to now, only difference is that Microsoft would close the acquisition without the FTC's approval which they wouldn't need anyway since they don't approve or block acquisitions and then proceed to file a federal lawsuit against the FTC in which the FTC will back off because they have no legal ground to stand on whatsoever.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
My prediction remains the same as it was last February. Acquisition closes with no restrictions everywhere. Fast forward to now, only difference is that Microsoft would close the acquisition without the FTC's approval which they wouldn't need anyway since they don't approve or block acquisitions and then proceed to file a federal lawsuit against the FTC in which the FTC will back off because they have no legal ground to stand on whatsoever.

This must be a joke post, right? You are completely delusional.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That's a very risky play lol

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The world’s biggest software publisher buying the world’s biggest games-only publisher doesn’t give the FTC legal grounds to oppose the merger?

Seiously?

Even without the outright lies MS told the CMA about the Bethesda acquisition, this kind of consolidation is EXACTLY what the FTC is supposed to pick apart at the minimum, and oppose on general principle.

To say otherwise exhibits material ignorance of how things work, at best!

P

peter42O

This must be a joke post, right? You are completely delusional.
That's a very risky play lol
The world’s biggest software publisher buying the world’s biggest games-only publisher doesn’t give the FTC legal grounds to oppose the merger?

Seiously?

Even without the outright lies MS told the CMA about the Bethesda acquisition, this kind of consolidation is EXACTLY what the FTC is supposed to pick apart at the minimum, and oppose on general principle.

To say otherwise exhibits material ignorance of how things work, at best!

No joke post. It was my prediction a year ago and I never ever change my predictions once I make them. If im wrong, so be it but I will stand by what I said.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I feel like Sony need to be preparing some moves of their own in case this goes through. Folks like Hoeg Law seem to think it will go through and the best Playstation can hope for are concessions that limit the amount of damage MS can do to them with this buyout. (Maybe an agreement that they can buy it but they can't get any more pubs for a while)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabaus

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I feel like Sony need to be preparing some moves of their own in case this goes through. Folks like Howg Law seem to think it will go through and the best Playstation can hope for are concessions that limit the amount of damage MS can do to them with this buyout. (Maybe an agreement that they can buy it but they can't get any more pubs for a while)
It isn’t going through.

If it was going to be approved, it already would have been.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I feel like Sony need to be preparing some moves of their own in case this goes through. Folks like Howg Law seem to think it will go through and the best Playstation can hope for are concessions that limit the amount of damage MS can do to them with this buyout. (Maybe an agreement that they can buy it but they can't get any more pubs for a while)
howg law is xbox dude. of course he thinks it will go through, even if it hurts gaming. what i notice, basically only xbox dudes wants this, and they don't care, if whole gaming can burn to the ground if it means sony goes down with it. most of xbox public i think aren't even gamers nowadays. i pity them.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No joke post. It was my prediction a year ago and I never ever change my predictions once I make them. If im wrong, so be it but I will stand by what I said.

I don't mean the no concessions bit. I mean that MS doesn't need the FTC to approve. Even if they didn't, they still need the CMA and EU Comission to approve.

The UK and EU are not Texas.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty