Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Their rhetoric is becoming more unhinged and deranged every passing day. It’s well beyond cult territory to parallel universe.

Here’s the thing,*Sony doesn’t actually have that many times third party exclusives*
Not that much more than Microsoft has to justify buying up publishers.

I’m not exaggerating I’m genuinely worried that some of these more militant Xbox fanboys will commit act of violence if this deal isn’t allowed to go through, they’re that unhinged and deranged. Phil Spencer said in his last interview he likes to see the reaction from the fans so he in a round about way encouraging this behavior.
It doesn't help that MS are using misleading figures like the one that claims Playstation had 268 exclusives one year. The truth for that one is that the vast majority of those games aren't things Sony paid for, the devs just prioritized the console that they could maximize sales on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

What does REEE think is going to happen when (in their world) microsoft own the industry? Do they think good guy Phil who is on a bonus will just keep everything cheap? Nope. Gamepass will be £45 a month, take it or leave it. What's that? You can't leave it because you're now addicted? Whoopsie daisy.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
What does REEE think is going to happen when (in their world) microsoft own the industry? Do they think good guy Phil who is on a bonus will just keep everything cheap? Nope. Gamepass will be £45 a month, take it or leave it. What's that? You can't leave it because you're now addicted? Whoopsie daisy.
They're mostly americans, they don't care as long as an american company owns everything.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
This is how the conversation normally goes in that thread on RE:

REEEEE: Sony should be punished for using their market lead to secure exclusive 3rd party titles, timed exclusives and DLC to maintain their spot as the market leader. That dont allow competition and that why I support allowing Microsoft to buy up the whole industry so they can compete and I can play COD yearly by just buying 4 boxes of COD themed PopTarts because Microsoft is pro consumer.

The FTC should set up laws that dont allow Sony to ever be able to have Exclusive games and DLC every again and they should be fined if it ever happens again. I can see Sony getting arrogant and complacent again like they did in the ps2/ps3 days.

Somewhat reasonable rebuttal:

Typical REEEE response:

friday-smokey.gif
Yup, pretty much. The alternative to no more 3rd party exclusive is acquisitions and only MS can compete in an industry where only acquisitions are allowed because they have so much capital.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Another sane post:
But it wouldn't make sense for the regulator to allow cod to be taken away from the clear choice of consumers, now or in 10 years. They aren't there to even out the market or to help a trillion dollar corporation to compete..
And its not possible to predict what would happen to market if sony lost cod.. It could swing massively with how huge the franchise is. Though of course if it comes to both consoles (plus Nintendo too) on an equal basis for 10 years by then it may not be as significant
They're rare, but they're there.
And it really begs the question: why would the regulators be responsible for helping MS to be competent?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Feels like Sony is getting a free run at marketing on the biggest games, too, because Microsoft is so focused on Game Pass it's basically not advertising anything unless it's available day one on the service. And of course, a lot of these juggernaut titles aren't taking that deal because they sell huge numbers full-price at retail.
Good take on why MS is failing at marketing, they're betting on the wrong horse. Gamepass is not really appealing, nobody really cares about day one games if it's not stuff like RE4, Hogwarts, Final Fantasy and whatnot. MS, once again, do not understant gaming at all.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Reeeeeeee Screenshot 2023-03-06 130739.jpg

I swear some of them is trying use fact that they care about the welfare of the workers as a mask to cover up why they really want this acquisition to go through.

What does Microsoft have that would clear up the workplace that any other corporation couldn't do on their own? So they claim to not like the workplace conditions and the inability to unionize but support giving a golden parachute to those who enabled the conditions that this poster claimed to be against. They support further consolidation of the gaming market to a company who has leadership and management issues on its own.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
View attachment 738

I swear some of them is trying use fact that they care about the welfare of the workers as a mask to cover up why they really want this acquisition to go through.

What does Microsoft have that would clear up the workplace that any other corporation couldn't do on their own? So they claim to not like the workplace conditions and the inability to unionize but support giving a golden parachute to those who enabled the conditions that this poster claimed to be against. They support further consolidation of the gaming market to a company who has leadership and management issues on its own.

giphy.gif

They care so much yet ignore Microsoft's history of union busting (they very recently changed course, during the acquisition timeframe, of course) and the amount of jobs that will be lost due to redundancies.

But hey, some of those brightly illuminated people also think that they need to be acquired because workers can be unionised, ignoring that they can as well right now if they want to.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is how the conversation normally goes in that thread on RE:

REEEEE: Sony should be punished for using their market lead to secure exclusive 3rd party titles, timed exclusives and DLC to maintain their spot as the market leader. That dont allow competition and that why I support allowing Microsoft to buy up the whole industry so they can compete and I can play COD yearly by just buying 4 boxes of COD themed PopTarts because Microsoft is pro consumer.

The FTC should set up laws that dont allow Sony to ever be able to have Exclusive games and DLC every again and they should be fined if it ever happens again. I can see Sony getting arrogant and complacent again like they did in the ps2/ps3 days.

Somewhat reasonable rebuttal:

Typical REEEE response:

friday-smokey.gif

Dead Rising 3 still never released on playstation.

Same with Titanfall 1. Same shit.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Good take on why MS is failing at marketing, they're betting on the wrong horse. Gamepass is not really appealing, nobody really cares about day one games if it's not stuff like RE4, Hogwarts, Final Fantasy and whatnot. MS, once again, do not understant gaming at all.
Lol at free marketing. Sony s busting their ass working with 3p. Phil s spending more time playing destiny than doing his job. Where Matt Botty? Has any1 seent that man for last 5 years?

D

Deleted member 417

Lol at free marketing. Sony s busting their ass working with 3p. Phil s spending more time playing destiny than doing his job. Where Matt Botty? Has any1 seent that man for last 5 years?
Good point and one that's often over-looked by the media and xbox fans. Sony and Cerny have direct contact with 3rd parties, they ask them resources they need to make better games, what engine tweaks and hardware improvements should be prioritised. You can see that with the PS5; SSd and throughput are key because that's what devs asked for. XSS is exactly what the devs didn't want and the XSX has bottlenecks.

Cerny worked with AMD to get the best out of the hardware and with Tim Sweeny to help design UE5 to get the most out of the software. While xbox shills will say VR is dead, most devs are excited to work with new emerging technology and Sony has listened to them, giving them the opportunity to work on Vr with VR2, even building a console focused around throughput and VR

On top of that, Microsoft forces feature parity between a weak console - that 3rd parties told Microsoft not to make with a more powerful consoles that is bottlenecked, due in part to the split ram - which 3rd parties told Microsoft not to do.

The whole idea that Sony just tripped and fell into number 1 spot is ridiculous. Microsoft have ignored gamers - gamers rejected kinect, rejected always on DRM, Tv,Tv,Tv, focusing on multiplayer over single player games and even having the arrogance of saying "nobody is asking for VR". They have ignored 3rd parties - Weaker machines, split ram, bottlenecks, and now MS want to own the industry because they have a bigger wallet?

I say let MS buy ABK and let them all crash and burn together, because MS can buy all of the western devs they want, it won't fix what is fundamentally wrong with the ethos of Xbox.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Infamous Xbox fanboy, highly toxic and even more annoying. Amazing that he isn't banned at Gaf.... yet many more decent people are...

I think the end of April is when we will know more.
Some people are lucky... others just aren't. I am on the latter. Yeah a lot of good posters were banned for no reason. It is odd. I remember one person being banned because he was the first to make threads about news...

I know the deal is not over but I wish it was. People spend so much time talking about it and defending MS that I wonder do they really have time left to use gamepass?

D

Deleted member 417

Infamous Xbox fanboy, highly toxic and even more annoying. Amazing that he isn't banned at Gaf.... yet many more decent people are...

I think the end of April is when we will know more.
senjitsu is one of those posters on GAF who must have naked picture of evilore. There are a group of them who have evaded bans for years, yet decent, decade-old accounts get flushed without warning at a moments notice, just because the wind has changed.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
senjitsu is one of those posters on GAF who must have naked picture of evilore. There are a group of them who have evaded bans for years, yet decent, decade-old accounts get flushed without warning at a moments notice, just because the wind has changed.

Yeah, tell me about it.... we have many on here that were members for a decade or more and were just banned for basically nothing.

Years ago it was kinda different though, very few had the means or know-how to start a forum.... now anyone can set up a discord server, there is Twitter and then it's easier and easier to make a forum yourself...just as we have done.

There is no monopoly on forums, the thing is that here we have a nice selection of very informed and constructive posters.... we still have real industry people, people that are game developers and we have a couple of good sources for 'insider' type stuff..... so we have at least some of what made gaming forums popular back in the day....

None of that exists anymore really on Gaf... it's full of blowhards and shills.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Someone brought up a good point about if Microsoft is still trying to plead with the cma with their own “survey” via axios, then that means they weren’t serious about meeting the remedy’s need to appease the cma. And Sony met with the cma again either today or tomorrow.