Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I never understood where the narrative of 3rd party exclusives being unique to Sony came from. Nintendo had 2 year exclusivity contracts with 3rd party devs well before Playstation had even been conceptualized.
The narrative comes from shills and astroturfers and also from american people having a heavy online presence on twitter and gaming forums. It never had any substance to it.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I never understood where the narrative of 3rd party exclusives being unique to Sony came from. Nintendo had 2 year exclusivity contracts with 3rd party devs well before Playstation had even been conceptualized.
the lion king disney GIF

Like refusal to accept cross play and every other talking point, it doesn't matter if someone, even Microsoft, did it in the past. What matters is what Lord Microsoft wants now.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The narrative comes from shills and astroturfers and also from american people having a heavy online presence on twitter and gaming forums. It never had any substance to it.
I don't think this is an american vs euro/row thing.

The Last One

8 Jan 2023
The new Era's crazy narrative is that MS will moneyhat the WHOLE industry if the merge is blocked lol

As crazy as that whole "Most of the PS5s are being scalped to China" theory.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The new Era's crazy narrative is that MS will moneyhat the WHOLE industry if the merge is blocked lol

That's not a new narrative. Jez Corden said something to that effect on one of his shows a while back during an angry rant. I don't think their revenge plot would work out nearly as well for MS as they think it would, but I'd personally rather MS make 3rd party deals than buy up large chunks of the industry.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

According to xbox fan Welfare, xbox is getting outsold 10:1 at walmart by the ps5 and is non existent at target. Not sure what third party would want to send their game to die like that.

• they're_right_you_know

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Yeah me neither. I would say some of the biggest vocal playstation fans on twitter are american.
??? There’s vocal PS fans on twitter? All I see are new tweets about the deal having tons and tons of replies from Xbox fans…
One can even argue that Xbox maketshare is 90/10

I am not surprised. They live on a tiny bubble not wanting other opinions and thinking they are better than everyone else!

Off topic, I’ve enjoyed the thread where people were criticizing Era, it didn’t last long, the thread was deleted but it seems more and more people are getting fed up.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
??? There’s vocal PS fans on twitter? All I see are new tweets about the deal having tons and tons of replies from Xbox fans…
One can even argue that Xbox maketshare is 90/10

I am not surprised. They live on a tiny bubble not wanting other opinions and thinking they are better than everyone else!

Off topic, I’ve enjoyed the thread where people were criticizing Era, it didn’t last long, the thread was deleted but it seems more and more people are getting fed up.
Are you referring to the thread titled "Resetera is actually a really great community "?

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Is it my impression or the odds of this deal going through are becoming lower ?
It seems the more time passes, the more this deal will be blocked or have heavily remedies...

Reactions: Bryank75

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Indeed, ever since the CMA PF was released, odds have been slim. Note the drop in AB share price on Feb 6/8, aligned to the PF release. It's recovered since but AB released strong financial results. This close to the deal deadline, there would be a massive arbitrage opportunity between the current price and the acquisition price if MS being successful had any basis in reality. The market, like everyone else, thinks they won't be.

Separately, I haven't read neogaf since the split, and I'm surprised at how much funnier the forum is to read without the putrid Reee members around their neck. They're destroying every pro-Xbox narrative in the acquisition thread, too.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Well I think Hoeg was saying the 3 billion was split into parts that were payable on dates if the deal had not gone through.... so could be 1 billion if it isn't gone through by the end of 2023. But maybe I am misremembering....
It's $3 billion total if the deal fails, with two deadlines before that being smaller fines if the deal isn't completed by those dates.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That's some major bullshit right there. COD entries already joined PS+ in the past.

Furthermore, if it's about day 1 releases, then neither Activision nor Sony have been attracted by the idea of losing day 1 sales.

Not even talking about that whatever MS offered, surely wasn't for free, but probably in exchange of the expected sales losses.
The COD games on PS Plus were monthly giveaways. Anyone who didn't add them to their library during the months they appeared for are SOL. One-time payment to Activision per library addition. This is a very different structure than making them available for longer term on a rotation service, with different rates. The games were also given away after at least one successor had been released at retail, which would reduce the amount of Plus subscribers who would be interested in downloading.

The monthly freebies are a completely different thing than subscription library availability would be.