Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Of course you do, because I'm going to bet you didn't even read the documents. I'll make this simple:

A big corporation buying its way into controlling most of a nascent market will only stifle competition by raising the entry-level. Less competition means higher prices and less innovation.

A child can understand why they did this, and it's based on standard economic theory.
I did read the docs and have a good knowledge of the market, and this is why I knew that the potential CoD on consoles wouldn't stop the acquisition.

I also know that cloud gaming is a tiny portion of the gaming market, because even adding the other game subs are still in single digits of the market, and there are several reasons, including tech limits and laws of physics, that prevent cloud gaming being mainstream worldwide in at least 10 years.

I also know that Sony's game subs have twice the size of the MS one and generate way more moeny, so I didn't expect that a regulator would block this because of cloud gaming. And I think they are wrong because of this.

And I keep saying the same now and before reading the reasonings from both Sony and MS to the regulators, who both mentioned solid points and both played the drama queen card obviously defending their own interests.

The gaming market revenue generated $184.4B in 2022 according to Newzoo. MS gaming division generated almost 8.8% of that ($16.2B). Activision Blizzard King around 4% of that ($7.53B). That would be less than 13% market share combined (not counting that ABK would lose a big chunk of that if goes console exclusive).

Cloud gaming maybe or maybe not could have a good potential for the very long term, decades in the future. But right now it's basically nothing in the gaming market and Sony is better positioned in cloud gaming than MS, even if MS gets CoD.

Can someone please do a short version of what is happening? Did I miss anything ? Or is it the same MS PR and fanboys doing a lot of noise?
The UK regulator killed the ABK acquisition because they are concerned it would affect the competition in the cloud gaming market, market with potential for some decades in the future but still tiny and not relevant at all right now, maybe 1% or less of the total gaming market revenue.

MS and ABK obviously said that aren't happy with that and that will go to court to appeal the decision, a process that I assume will take years. As mentioned in the acquisition deal, MS will have to pay again some extra Billions this summer to the ABK stakeholders as compensation for not having completed the acquisistion before I think was July 2023.

Last edited:
  • noneofmybizz
Reactions: ApolloHelios

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Official response by Activision/Blizzard

nPZqg2T.jpg
Seems like she wrote it.

Why the embeed shows the old text and not the new?

1682519248101.png

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Bro this is officially the biggest failure not just in gaming but entire mankind history 68 billion wasted for nothing

That 68b should just donated to UNICEF WHO or many poor people in needs instead of wasted for nothing like this

Heck Xbox should just gave all those money to SenjutsuSage for all the time and energy he spends for them

What a colossal fckd up

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Bro this is officially the biggest failure not just in gaming but entire mankind history 68 billion wasted for nothing

68 should just donated to UNICEF WHO or many poor people in needs instead of wasted for nothing like this

What a colossal fckd up
Maybe now they get this money and reinvest in themselves? They have 23 studios, they should use that money on them.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
  • they're_right_you_know

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Jim can look to make contact for COD partnership now. I give zero shits about COD but I'm sure Bobby will be happy. He voiced his displeasure on Sony not interfering with ABK while the acquisition was in progress.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Cloud gaming maybe or maybe not could have a good potential for the very long term, decades in the future. But right now it's basically nothing in the gaming market and Sony is better positioned in cloud gaming than MS, even if MS gets CoD.

You are so off base it's not even funny. Microsoft not only owns the second biggest cloud provider in the world, they also have a bigger cloud market share than Sony.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I did read the docs and have a good knowledge of the market, and this is why I knew that the potential CoD on consoles wouldn't stop the acquisition.

I also know that cloud gaming is a tiny portion of the gaming market, because even adding the other game subs are still in single digits of the market, and there are several reasons, including tech limits and laws of physics, that prevent cloud gaming being mainstream worldwide in at least 10 years.

I also know that Sony's game subs have twice the size of the MS one and generate way more moeny, so I didn't expect that a regulator would block this because of cloud gaming. And I think they are wrong because of this.

And I keep saying the same now and before reading the reasonings from both Sony and MS to the regulators, who both mentioned solid points and both played the drama queen card obviously defending their own interests.

The gaming market revenue generated $184.4B in 2022 according to Newzoo. MS gaming division generated almost 8.8% of that ($16.2B). Activision Blizzard King around 4% of that ($7.53B). That would be less than 13% market share combined (not counting that ABK would lose a big chunk of that if goes console exclusive).

They shot them selves in the foot with this CoD to XxxM more players on the cloud marketing BS.