MS President Brad Smith: In Europe, PlayStation has 80% Marketshare, Xbox has 20%. Globally it’s 70/30

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Exactly what I was thinking. Let’s not forget no mention of North America market share.

This bullshit might work in North America but the UK CMA and EU aren’t fools.

Crazy to think a 1.5 trillion dollar company is playing victim.
They wouldn't present NA market share to the EU regulators as the EU doesn't have any say in what happens with the NA market.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
LMFAO Activision/Blizzard is just poking fun at how pathetic Sony is being.

This whole ordeal, if nothing else, will have definitely put MS in a better position to negotiate with Activision about exclusivity deals and marketing after Sony's term is up.

Seems more like MS in that bike.

Reactions: EN250

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Poor little MS

Hope the regulators are intelligent enough to look back only 10 years ago to find a roughly 50/50 marketshare and that MS did this to themselves

Every generation is an opportunity to change the market share. Nintendo went from 100 million to 10 million to 100 million again in the past 3 gens

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

This whole ordeal, if nothing else, will have definitely put MS in a better position to negotiate with Activision about exclusivity deals and marketing after Sony's term is up.

Even Nvidia is in full support of the deal, and they were supposed to be one of the 2, 3 firms that were against it.

MS doing all the right talking points through out this deal and it's all the better for unions, availability of content to more places etc.

Reactions: Remij

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022

Activision will be at the back door of Sony's offices begging to be let back in once this deal fails

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Ironic that they leave out Nintendo's marketshare after publicising how they agreed a ten year CoD deal earlier 😄
Maybe it's because the marketshare only counts where Activision Blizzard games are bought (or where their userbase would buy them).

D

Deleted member 417

Do we know exactly what deal was signed? Because Microsoft are the king of spin and when I hear a line like "Xbox games coming to Geforce for 10 years", most people would assume that means Microsoft are allowing their games on Geforce. For me though, I read it as Nvidia is hosting Gamepass.

Likewise with Nintendo. Microsoft say they are giving COD to Nintendo, but what if the deal is that Microsoft have decided to take COD and have now reached a deal with Nintendo to put Gamepass on switch?

Going a bit tinfoily, but could it be possible that Microsoft wanted to take a look into other companies like Sony (not to mention the information they received from the Epic vs Apple lawsuit) to time when they transition to full 3rd party and become a digital distribution platform?

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I think Brad Smith just confirmed @Heisenberg007 and I's (and a few others') sales speculation for Xbox by end of 2022.

PS4 is officially at around 117.2 million, because I think Sony stopped reporting numbers sometime in 2022 for it. So I'm just going to use that. PS5 was around 30 million end of 2022. 147.2 million. We can even say maybe 32 million if the figure given by Sony in their earnings call was from an earlier period in January closer to the New Year. According to Brad Smith, that'd mean if PS4 & PS5 are around 147.2 - 149.2 million , XBO & Xbox Series were at best between ~66.15 million - 67 million sold-through by end of 2022.

And if XBO were around 50 million lifetime, then either XBO sold under 50 million LTD, or Xbox Series were at best at around 17 million sold-through by end of 2022. If XBO LTD is around 50 million (but at least 50 million), then at worst Series were around 16.15 million sold-through by end of last year.

Which also lets us know a few other things. For starters, that either the December Xbox numbers were even lower than the November numbers, OR that they're further behind cumulatively in UK (excusing 2022, where the sales gap was small) than first thought, OR that ROTW is even less than 29.5% of total Xbox Series series, OR a mixture of all three. What we do know is that Brad Smith gave these percentages, we can assume that are 8th & 9th gen combined for PS and Xbox, that PS4 production started winding down after March 2022, that PS4 official numbers are 117.2 million (if they have sold more since then I doubt it would have been more than 500K, and that would still only give a best-case of about 17.25 million Xbox Series sold-through by end of 2022), and that total Xbox One & Xbox Series numbers were between 66.15 million to 67 million sold-through end-of-2022.

Which, again, unless XBO sold under 50 million lifetime, and given Brad Smith's own global percentage numbers they presented today, means for absolute certainty Xbox Series were tracking behind XBO by the start of this. By a pretty chunky gap, at that (at least 1 million behind in sold-through launch-adjusted). This is the reason they didn't give any PR numbers for Series sales tracking relative XBO or even 360 (you would not compare to 360 but then skip XBO unless something was off) at their recent earnings call; we were right the entire time in figuring what range their actual sales numbers were at.

Also shout-out to the NPD leak for helping make this a good deal easier (from an Installbase member but, I don't want to get them in trouble so :/).

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
96/4 in Japan? Yeah, I doubt it.... Microsoft is surely doing far worse than that. Europe sounds about right and I assume they are still 55/45 over PS in North America.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think Brad Smith just confirmed @Heisenberg007 and I's (and a few others') sales speculation for Xbox by end of 2022.

PS4 is officially at around 117.2 million, because I think Sony stopped reporting numbers sometime in 2022 for it. So I'm just going to use that. PS5 was around 30 million end of 2022. 147.2 million. We can even say maybe 32 million if the figure given by Sony in their earnings call was from an earlier period in January closer to the New Year. According to Brad Smith, that'd mean if PS4 & PS5 are around 147.2 - 149.2 million , XBO & Xbox Series were at best between ~66.15 million - 67 million sold-through by end of 2022.

And if XBO were around 50 million lifetime, then either XBO sold under 50 million LTD, or Xbox Series were at best at around 17 million sold-through by end of 2022. If XBO LTD is around 50 million (but at least 50 million), then at worst Series were around 16.15 million sold-through by end of last year.

Which also lets us know a few other things. For starters, that either the December Xbox numbers were even lower than the November numbers, OR that they're further behind cumulatively in UK (excusing 2022, where the sales gap was small) than first thought, OR that ROTW is even less than 29.5% of total Xbox Series series, OR a mixture of all three. What we do know is that Brad Smith gave these percentages, we can assume that are 8th & 9th gen combined for PS and Xbox, that PS4 production started winding down after March 2022, that PS4 official numbers are 117.2 million (if they have sold more since then I doubt it would have been more than 500K, and that would still only give a best-case of about 17.25 million Xbox Series sold-through by end of 2022), and that total Xbox One & Xbox Series numbers were between 66.15 million to 67 million sold-through end-of-2022.

Which, again, unless XBO sold under 50 million lifetime, and given Brad Smith's own global percentage numbers they presented today, means for absolute certainty Xbox Series were tracking behind XBO by the start of this. By a pretty chunky gap, at that (at least 1 million behind in sold-through launch-adjusted). This is the reason they didn't give any PR numbers for Series sales tracking relative XBO or even 360 (you would not compare to 360 but then skip XBO unless something was off) at their recent earnings call; we were right the entire time in figuring what range their actual sales numbers were at.

Also shout-out to the NPD leak for helping make this a good deal easier (from an Installbase member but, I don't want to get them in trouble so :/).
i knew it matthew perry GIF

Thanks for helping with and discussing the numbers, as always! ❤️