MS President Brad Smith: In Europe, PlayStation has 80% Marketshare, Xbox has 20%. Globally it’s 70/30

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I genuinely don’t see how Microsoft can revive the Xbox brand, even if they made cod exclusive. Like the brand is so dead I think they’d drag cod down with it rather than cod help it out. The mismanagement of halo and being so irrelevant for so long is such a huge hill to climb and they are already cutting back on marketing staff. And I keep saying, as soon as Sony sees the results of this deal and what regulators say, you better believe they have contingency plans. Even if it’s not publisher acquisitions, they’ll make investments in them if they haven’t already that they’ve disclosed.

Microsoft showed their hand before they had a check mate and now sony knows what their capable of and how far their willing to go. Sony may not have the same financials but theyre not broke, they have 70 percent market share to use to their advantage, and deep roots with japanese publishers.

I guess what im trying to say is, how can a brand be dead for two generations in a row, then expect to revive itself after being completely irrelevant in almost every single market while their main competitor keeps making new hits, new deals, keeps building its audience uncontested two generations in a row, new ways to play (vr), and keeps gaining mind and marketshare?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

I genuinely don’t see how Microsoft can revive the Xbox brand, even if they made cod exclusive. Like the brand is so dead I think they’d drag cod down with it rather than cod help it out. The mismanagement of halo and being so irrelevant for so long is such a huge hill to climb and they are already cutting back on marketing staff. And I keep saying, as soon as Sony sees the results of this deal and what regulators say, you better believe they have contingency plans. Even if it’s not publisher acquisitions, they’ll make investments in them if they haven’t already that they’ve disclosed.
It would be easy to revive the Xbox brand. Give me 12 months in Phil Spencers position and I'll eat into Sony's marketshare like a fat guy at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Xbots are trying to say that the numbers are somehow not accurate and that Sony is lying, even though MS themselves presented this to the EU.

ROFLMAO
It is because what MS showed go agains the 20 million Series sales narrative they are tryingt to build.
I always said the InstallBase estimates were too high for Series... it is probably around 17 million sold.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I do not want Xbox to die as a gaming division, I want them to reform and be better.

It would be amazing if they would up their game in quality to some how be on par with PlayStation, yes they are miles away from being as good as Sony but its something as gamers we should all want.

We all play games in the end.
I agree

As much as I have no interest in Xbox, having competition is good. Though I much preferred the Microsoft of the 360 era, making waves with their own style of content. Rather than this current Xbox of acquisitions and game rentals

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

Microsoft showed their hand before they had a check mate and now sony knows what their capable of and how far their willing to go. Sony may not have the same financials but theyre not broke, they have 70 percent market share to use to their advantage, and deep roots with japanese publishers.

I guess what im trying to say is, how can a brand be dead for two generations in a row, then expect to revive itself after being completely irrelevant in almost every single market while their main competitor keeps making new hits, new deals, keeps building its audience uncontested two generations in a row, new ways to play (vr), and keeps gaining mind and marketshare?
you are 100% correct, it's literally impossible in business. Xbox is a toxic brand.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Because it's what it is being bought, so they analyze where it does basically affect.

The acquisition wouldn't basically affect PC, Switch or mobile. The biggest change where the acquisition would cause be between Sony and MS in consoles if CoD goes exclusive, and maybe in game subs/could gaming too.
Right and now they're talking about bringing these games to Nintendo.

And it absolutely could impact PC and Steam if say MS jack up the price to in order to push people toward GamePass.

• Surprised
Reactions: EN250

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
you are 100% correct, it's literally impossible in business. Xbox is a toxic brand.
The damage done by the Xbox One fiasco was enough to kill a brand, and following it up with the launch showcase for the Series being a year late and incomplete, as well as launching two consoles with confusing naming sure as hell hasn’t helped them.

And then there’s the stellar 2022 software slate from XBGS…

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Right and now they're talking about bringing these games to Nintendo.

And it absolutely could impact PC and Steam if say MS jack up the price to in order to push people toward GamePass.
I don't remember the percent, but I remember some time ago there were shown some numbers that said that a huge percent (over half) of Switch users also had another console or a gaming PC.

I highly doubt these users would stop playing CoD on high end devices to play it instead on Switch considering its visuals, joycons and wifi.

Regarding gamepass, for people who already has Gamepass they would simply stop buying CoD, so its sales would go down. It could get maybe some hundreds of thousands or a handful millions of new subs. But for these players, who weren't already interested in what GP had before, to pay a year of GP is more expensive than to buy the yearly CoD so I think many of them will continue buying it instead of getting GP.

• thinking_hard

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I don't remember the percent, but I remember some time ago there were shown some numbers that said that a huge percent (over half) of Switch users also had another console or a gaming PC.

I highly doubt these users would stop playing CoD on high end devices to play it instead on Switch considering its visuals, joycons and wifi.

Regarding gamepass, for people who already has Gamepass they would simply stop buying CoD, so its sales would go down. It could get maybe some hundreds of thousands or a handful millions of new subs. But for these players, who weren't already interested in what GP had before, to pay a year of GP is more expensive than to buy the yearly CoD so I think many of them will continue buying it instead of getting GP.
The point is nobody can say this deal has no impact on PC gamers.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The point is nobody can say this deal has no impact on PC gamers.
The CMA doesn't see any potential issue on (are worried about) PC, mobile or Switch.

They are worried about the potential effect on high end consoles (specially with potential CoD future exclusivity) and cloud gaming subscriptions.

In fact I don't remember any regulator or anybody else worried about potential effects on PC, you're the first one I see mentioning it as a possible issue.

In my case, I think cloud gaming will take way more than a decade to be relevant to the gaming market, and that CoD represents a tiny portion of the PS business, which -as shown by MS in the OP- is way bigger than the Xbox market, plus it's in a growing trend. I'd approve the sale to engage competition and give Sony a smaller lead.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The CMA doesn't see any potential issue on (are worried about) PC, mobile or Switch.

They are worried about the potential effect on high end consoles (specially with potential CoD future exclusivity) and cloud gaming subscriptions.

In fact I don't remember any regulator or anybody else worried about potential effects on PC, you're the first one I see mentioning it as a possible issue.

In my case, I think cloud gaming will take way more than a decade to be relevant to the gaming market, and that CoD represents a tiny portion of the PS business, which -as shown by MS in the OP- is way bigger than the Xbox market, plus it's in a growing trend. I'd approve the sale to engage competition and give Sony a smaller lead.
They're wrong and it would be naive to think otherwise.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
nVidia ia now supporting the acquisition.

Hypocrisy lol
nVidia was one of the strong opposition for the deal.
They got their deal they don’t care about anything else.

• angry
Reactions: EN250 and ethomaz

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I'd approve the sale to engage competition and give Sony a smaller lead.
Keep Dreaming Max Greenfield GIF by CBS

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The damage done by the Xbox One fiasco was enough to kill a brand, and following it up with the launch showcase for the Series being a year late and incomplete, as well as launching two consoles with confusing naming sure as hell hasn’t helped them.

And then there’s the stellar 2022 software slate from XBGS…
it's all a snowball effect. The brand is trending downwards and has been for over a decade now.

This isn't a nintendo situation with wiiU. Nintendo still had the immensely successful 3ds going concurrently, and a warchest of decades-long culturally poignant and valuable ip. They also turned things around in less than 5 years.

MS has now officially spent a decade in the gutter as of 2023 - they are past the point of no return and the current numbers are proof.

Worse off, MS has no valuable ip besides halo and that has become the laughing stock of the industry lately.

it's really not looking good right now. Xbox is dead.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
it's all a snowball effect. The brand is trending downwards and has been for over a decade now.

This isn't a nintendo situation with wiiU. Nintendo still had the immensely successful 3ds going concurrently, and a warchest of decades-long culturally poignant and valuable ip. They also turned things around in less than 5 years.

MS has now officially spent a decade in the gutter as of 2023 - they are past the point of no return and the current numbers are proof.

Worse off, MS has no valuable ip besides halo and that has become the laughing stock of the industry lately.

it's really not looking good right now. Xbox is dead.
Xbox is heading toward Edsel-level brand toxicity.

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Xbox is heading toward Edsel-level brand toxicity.
remember that recent report that fable was in trouble? It was telling that everyone just unanimously took it as fact, the defacto response was "Of course, xbox game studios is known for not being able to deliver!"

This is the reality of what the xbox brand is synonymous with today. Low quality, value-branded gaming, and no exclusives.

a simple google search affirms what is common knowledge amongst consumers:

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 9.48.11 PM.png Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 9.50.28 PM.png

even casuals, grandmas, and baby gamers all know: "Xbox has no games".

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
remember that recent report that fable was in trouble? It was telling that everyone just unanimously took it as fact, the defacto response was "Of course, xbox game studios is known for not being able to deliver!"

This is the reality of what the xbox brand is synonymous with today. Low quality, value-branded gaming, and no exclusives.

a simple google search affirms what is common knowledge amongst consumers:

View attachment 634View attachment 635

even casuals, grandmas, and baby gamers all know: "Xbox has no games".
There’s no coming back from that shit.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

skip to 2h:43m in for some good laughs. The two biggest xbox fans have mental breakdowns over how upset they are that everyone thinks xbox is a joke. You can hear the pain in Rand's voice.

It must be absolutely miserable to be an xbox-main gamer. God forbid an Xbox-only gamer.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

skip to 2h:43m in for some good laughs. The two biggest xbox fans have mental breakdowns over how upset they are that everyone thinks xbox is a joke. You can hear the pain in Rand's voice.

It must be absolutely miserable to be an xbox-main gamer. God forbid an Xbox-only gamer.
Nobody who is an Xbox-only individual can credibly be called a gamer.

The variety and depth of gaming is just not available on Xbox that you can find elsewhere.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

I remember listening to his after they first show the halo infinite demo and everyone was trashing it rand lost his shit on several ppl in his chat. He cussed them out and kicked them. He tries to pretend he’s above the console war but he is really in his feelings what Xbox takes a major L. Same with jizz corden