Naughty Dog has stopped development on The Last of Us Online. Also an image showing The Last of Us Online’s menu leak

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You still talking about the imaginary super teams and gazillion parallel projects
Give it up man and retire with your dear father, Jimbo
They are not imaginary, in the OP you have the second official statement from ND saying that in addition to TLOU Online they have been working no two new SP games. Plus the remaster, which isn't a new game. As of July ND had over 400 employees (plus as usual in any AAA, over a thousand people more from support/outsourcing teams working for each big new game). These are facts, you can go to verify in moby games the games credit of each recent big AAA and see there's like around 1500-2500 people (or more) working on each, being around 90% of them not from the lead development studio.

There's also the factual data from sales rankings, the MC scores and GOTYs and the Sony data from fiscal reports showing that SIE (so Jim) and their console and big games are super successful.

If you think all this factual data are lies and part of some sort of conspiracy or something you're the one believing in imaginary things, not me.

Last edited:

DForce

Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
You still talking about the imaginary super teams and gazillion parallel projects
Give it up man and retire with your dear father, Jimbo

Naughty Dog has worked on multiple projects for more than 10 years now.

The Last of Us and Uncharted 3 were being developed at the same time.

Last of Us Part II and Uncharted 4 were being developed at the same time, including the DLC/Standalone titles in Lost Legacy and Left Behind.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I noticed some people here began descent into that mad blind xbox fanboy toxic level and defend their favourite company no matter what

The more sane one admited naughty dog did fckd up this gen and hopefully sony adressed this issue

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Better result than turning Naughty Dog into what BioWare became.

ND multiplayer is a waste. Their mp efforts were NOT notable despite how some say otherwise. And tacked on mp modes are a complete waste this day an age. Especially with their mt approach of paying for power and guns; which of course is the worst way to do it as well. You don’t waste resources on what will be abandoned in two weeks when dedicated online games will take all those player right back. It’s just not gonna happen anymore.

Stick to what you specialize in. A pve tlou game would demand 3x the studio and require more content than any of their single player games have at a yearly cadence. And live service changes yearly. None of these games play how they did just two years ago. From content loops to drastic gameplay changes

The irony is that Bungie review panel is who to thank for this. Otherwise you were at risk at not seeing sp games from nd. Game studio sizes only balloon when an online launches successfully because of these needs and then require more players and resources to keep going. This statement from ND was quite humble. I appreciate it. Then you have MS which quietly ended infinite’s dev pipeline to leak the existence of the next game.

Funny seeing fans mad “but but yuck battlepasses and seasons” and then at the same time also being mad it’s not coming out… get your emotions in check.

Destiny has an extremely high burn rate of cash to create content. I’m surprised they even managed to start two other games at all. Then again it took 10 years to get there and probably Sony money to start the 3rd.

this is good news

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I believe this has been shared in this thread, but thought I'd add it here.

63058b7b50509968220b827580db3320.jpg

Yes, that's a screenshot from TLOU Online, and yes, it's vomit-inducing. I'm so happy PS is backtracking on this Live Service shit.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Naughty Dog has worked on multiple projects for more than 10 years now.

The Last of Us and Uncharted 3 were being developed at the same time.

Last of Us Part II and Uncharted 4 were being developed at the same time, including the DLC/Standalone titles in Lost Legacy and Left Behind.
Yes, Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 were developed at the same time and this is why Uncharted 4 came out in 2016 and TLOU2 came out in 2020. You guys should stop dreaming.

Also The original TLOU came out 2 years after Uncharted 3 which was your typical development time during that era. So, no they were not fully developed in parallel. One game is in pre production while other one is in full production. This is standard game development since forever.

Reactions: Danja1187

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022

Yes, that's a screenshot from TLOU Online, and yes, it's vomit-inducing. I'm so happy PS is backtracking on this Live Service shit.

It screams The Division to me. Then again, I couldn’t envision this game being anything other than a division clone.

There’s definitely room for a third person online shooter in both pve and/or PvP. I’ve been waiting for one…. Division 2 has been dead for years. I find real world settings a bit limiting creatively for these games tho…. BUT people love their zombie games so it could work within that genre. Actually Remnant 2 is the undisputed king here but there’s no PvP.

I still think they should’ve gut scope and just make a pve co-op campaign one and done. But maybe they weren’t even making a game like that to salvage that way?

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
It screams The Division to me. Then again, I couldn’t envision this game being anything other than a division clone.

There’s definitely room for a third person online shooter in both pve and/or PvP. I’ve been waiting for one…. Division 2 has been dead for years. I find real world settings a bit limiting creatively for these games tho…. BUT people love their zombie games so it could work within that genre. Actually Remnant 2 is the undisputed king here but there’s no PvP.

I still think they should’ve gut scope and just make a pve co-op campaign one and done. But maybe they weren’t even making a game like that to salvage that way?

I think a Days Gone live service game would be much better and fun. Imagine massive hordes with your friends, base building... Just have one of their side studios or a third party develop that.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But as a business you can’t just only focus on your strengths. You have to expand. If that was the case, Apple would have only made only computers and they would of never have gotten into the phone business. Look how that went for them.
As a business you don't sacrifice your strengths like Sony did the past few years trying to go after something you are not well suited to do.

Big waste of time and might have done long term damage to their studios.

I noticed some people here began descent into that mad blind xbox fanboy toxic level and defend their favourite company no matter what

The more sane one admited naughty dog did fckd up this gen and hopefully sony adressed this issue
It's always like this here not a new thing. Some will never admit Sony can make mistakes or that criticizing Sony is ok.

• brain
Reactions: Airbus

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

Fucked Up? Man Please! ND’s next game will win awards at The Game Awards. Something that your favorite developer failed to do. Lol

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
As a business you don't sacrifice your strengths like Sony did the past few years trying to go after something you are not well suited to do.

Big waste of time and might have done long term damage to their studios.

It's always like this here not a new thing. Some will never admit Sony can make mistakes or that criticizing Sony is ok.
They didn’t sacrifice their strengths though. Most of their SP studios were still going to make SP games. They bought Haven Firewalk, and Bungie for Multiplayer. Sony didn’t force ND to make Factions into a full blown MP title. ND themselves decided to do that.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

ND multiplayer is a waste. Their mp efforts were NOT notable despite how some say otherwise. And tacked on mp modes are a complete waste this day an age. Especially with their mt approach of paying for power and guns; which of course is the worst way to do it as well. You don’t waste resources on what will be abandoned in two weeks when dedicated online games will take all those player right back. It’s just not gonna happen anymore.

Stick to what you specialize in. A pve tlou game would demand 3x the studio and require more content than any of their single player games have at a yearly cadence. And live service changes yearly. None of these games play how they did just two years ago. From content loops to drastic gameplay changes

The irony is that Bungie review panel is who to thank for this. Otherwise you were at risk at not seeing sp games from nd. Game studio sizes only balloon when an online launches successfully because of these needs and then require more players and resources to keep going. This statement from ND was quite humble. I appreciate it. Then you have MS which quietly ended infinite’s dev pipeline to leak the existence of the next game.

Funny seeing fans mad “but but yuck battlepasses and seasons” and then at the same time also being mad it’s not coming out… get your emotions in check.

Destiny has an extremely high burn rate of cash to create content. I’m surprised they even managed to start two other games at all. Then again it took 10 years to get there and probably Sony money to start the 3rd.

this is good news
So you mean to say. That if Jim doesn‘t buy Bungie. ND could have released Factions and stopped working on SP games. 😮

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They didn’t sacrifice their strengths though. Most of their SP studios were still going to make SP games. They bought Haven Firewalk, and Bungie for Multiplayer. Sony didn’t force ND to make Factions into a full blown MP title. ND themselves decided to do that.
Decided to do it as a part of a company wide strategy of going all in into GaaS.

Even investing in these GaaS studios probably came at the expense of investing in more traditional studios and games. We'll see in the next few years how their GaaS strategy will playout, so far not looking good at all as they can't even release the games.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nah thy fucked up taking the gaass route. Everyone wanted Factions 2 and Instead we got shit so they basically took away from what they been doing. I'm not happy.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

this is good news
What is this nonsense? Do you even know what a "tacked on multiplayer" is? Because it surely wasn't Naughty Dog's multiplayers... Those were complete games separate from their Single Player counterparts. One could simply play the multiplayer and never touch the Campaigns if they wanted to.

And there's nothing wrong if they went the paying for cosmetic MTX route. It would have definitely made them more money and saved them more money than this money sink GaaS approach. End of the day they went against their community and look what happened... I'm sure they wished they had kept the multiplayer lobby based now.... As this failure is now a stain on their record for the foreseeable future

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

What's funny is that a TLOU zombie BR would've sold like hotcakes, but instead of just releasing what they wasted millions of dollars on they're just cancelling the whole thing because they think people actually want monthly seasons or whatever other BS.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I think a Days Gone live service game would be much better and fun. Imagine massive hordes with your friends, base building... Just have one of their side studios or a third party develop that.
There was a pitch for a multiplayer Days Gone Game by Saber.... But Sony declined their offer as they were being short sighted back then about anything multiplayer related... That game eventually turned into "World War Z"

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
There was a pitch for a multiplayer Days Gone Game by Saber.... But Sony declined their offer as they were being short sighted back then about anything multiplayer related... That game eventually turned into "World War Z"
And that game was a success. Terrible decision by Sony.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
So you mean to say. That if Jim doesn‘t buy Bungie. ND could have released Factions and stopped working on SP games. 😮

That’s what ND sorta outlines would’ve happened if they kept the scope of TLOU as planned.

If the purpose of that panel was to evaluate all of this then it kinda did its job.

I disagree with the project being dropped, if not now outsourcing existing build to someone else to work on. But if money and resources is the concern then that’s valid enough tbh.