NCSOFT and Sony Interactive Entertainment Announce Strategic Partnership

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Joe Biden Congrats GIF by GIPHY News

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Yeah and what happens when SIE makes a bunch of money off of those GAAS and mobile games?
They're going to force the rest of the games to adopt it.

LMK why you think the entire mobile space is now f2p games with ad revenue+ cash shops, it's because those games outsold and outearned the b2p games

Why do you think every game is trying to force battlepasses now

I'm trying to think of Sony first-party games that have a battle pass or egregious monetization. Battle passes have been a thing since 2013, but the only one I can think of is Destiny. I don't play multi-player games, though, so I may be missing some.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Rather they invest in Japan studios that are proven and have IPs that have been on PS before.

Do that and then invest in Korean/Indian/Chinese devs all you want, but secure some proven titles/ips first

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Rather they invest in Japan studios that are proven and have IPs that have been on PS before.

Do that and then invest in Korean/Indian/Chinese devs all you want, but secure some proven titles/ips first

Korean publishers are more proven in the Mobile/MMO department.

It’s 2023. Things have changed.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So let me get this clear, let me stoop down to your level of logic and IQ for a bit... According you to my posting habits on this forum is only to bash playstation. Yet apparently this all stems from the fact. I dared to expect better sales from Playstation in France = so apparently that makes me "unhinged" and "unreasonable" though Sony themselves said sales slowed across the board and so they were gonna do deals across the continent over the summer to meet their own targets? OKAY!

If THAT'S what it takes to be unhinged and unreasonable then you and others on this forum need to step outside.

And please spare the BS about buying into Xbox narrative. As I haven't once implied they have "millions of unsold" units, that's a personal paranoia you need to go seek help for. I don't care about what Xbox fans say, nor do I follow them or reads forums they post on, like so many of you do on here, who vicariously live on ResetEra and Install and then run back here to moan about them. If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't even know much about what Xbox fans are saying as I don't care...

I use Twitter and chat with fellow PS and Nintendo gamers who are actual friends and a few decent PS streamers. I don't get involved in fanboy online warfare, like some of y'all..

Good Day!

Here's exactly what happened. You looked at a list of full-year console sales from France, saw that the PS5 was below a bunch of them (despite not having any holiday sales recorded), then immediately declared that it was disappointing with zero reference point. That's what's unhinged, because you didn't check yourself when you got called out but instead immediately doubled down on your mistaken assumptions in order to shit on Sony. Show me what reference you were using to say 1 million units by October in France is disappointing.

Also, now you're bringing in Playstation doing price cuts to increase sales. WOW! What a concept, PS5 is SOOOO disappointing; did you know that the PS4 started getting price cuts in 2015? By contrast the PS5 went UP in price at the same point in its launch cycle.

Funny that you're up in a huff that I'm accusing you of spreading the xbox narrative of millions of unsold units when that's exactly what you're doing by portraying the PS5 sales volume as disappointing. Sony has officially announced as of its last earnings report at the beginning of November that they were on track to hit their 25m unit FY target. So the only logical way that you can call the sales "disappointing" is if you were buying into the narrative that Sony is lying about their sales.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Here's exactly what happened. You looked at a list of full-year console sales from France, saw that the PS5 was below a bunch of them (despite not having any holiday sales recorded), then immediately declared that it was disappointing with zero reference point. That's what's unhinged, because you didn't check yourself when you got called out but instead immediately doubled down on your mistaken assumptions in order to shit on Sony. Show me what reference you were using to say 1 million units by October in France is disappointing.

Also, now you're bringing in Playstation doing price cuts to increase sales. WOW! What a concept, PS5 is SOOOO disappointing; did you know that the PS4 started getting price cuts in 2015? By contrast the PS5 went UP in price at the same point in its launch cycle.

Funny that you're up in a huff that I'm accusing you of spreading the xbox narrative of millions of unsold units when that's exactly what you're doing by portraying the PS5 sales volume as disappointing. Sony has officially announced as of its last earnings report at the beginning of November that they were on track to hit their 25m unit FY target. So the only logical way that you can call the sales "disappointing" is if you were buying into the narrative that Sony is lying about their sales.
Actually let me be petty and continue this since you still insist on trying to rewrite history. It was not I who brought up "1 million" it was in-fact your little buddy who you are currently d**k riding so hard for in here:

Ps5 was supply constrained in France until this year, and given the 2023 sales only go up to September, it will easily break 1mil.

To which I replied back to him stating I'll be disappointed if that's the least they could break in France in this year and went on to say I expect at least 1.3 million... To which he eventually agreed they will break 1.3 and possibly exceeded 🤣... Which makes his and your whole issue with my comment the more funny.

Sony said in their financial results they would be doing sales promos to spur sales after a slower than expected Quarter... Those price promos also represents the sales up to September (which I said I wasn't impressed by)... You trying to deflect and bringing up the fact PS4 also got price cut doesn't even make sense... Since Price promotions are temporary compared to a "price cut", you're so desperate to try and twist my words, you're not even making good correlations....

Ironic since I never once accused you of anything! In-Fact I said to you to spare me the BS as nowhere did I imply anything about unsold units, and here you are again still trying to imply... I'm insinuating they have millions unsold units in France 💀. I can say I am not impressed with their sales so far and also not imply they have millions of unsold units.

France isn't even a big enough market for Sony to be shipping MILLIONS of PS5 in a specific quarter to point they can have millions of unsold quantity lying around, so you bringing up that was beyond stupid . So, no the only narrative that exists here, is you trying to claim I'm buying into an Xbox narrative that only you brought up in hopes of further mudding the waters here. Sony announcing they plan to hit 25 million doesn't matter here, nobody is talking about Worldwide sales... Unless you have access to their internal sales target for the French market you should probably drop this dead on arrival gotcha moment.

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023

What is people's fixation with Japan 1st party? The only good thing to come out of Japan 1st party is Gran Turismo as far as I'm concerned. Other Japanese publishers make far better games then Sony Japan which is why they always partner with them. This whole Sony Japan needs to return to greatness is an agenda set by fanboys on the rival console. Outside of Polyphony Digital they have never been top tier Sony Japan devs.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
What is people's fixation with Japan 1st party? The only good thing to come out of Japan 1st party is Gran Turismo as far as I'm concerned. Other Japanese publishers make far better games then Sony Japan which is why they always partner with them. This whole Sony Japan needs to return to greatness is an agenda set by fanboys on the rival console. Outside of Polyphony Digital they have never been top tier Sony Japan devs.
Sony first-party studios in Japan made some great stuff into the PS3 generation, but fell off pretty hard midway through that generation, likely due to brain drain. They were always free to be more experimental, and usually their games weren't expected to be huge sellers, but more akin to artsy Indies, just making interesting oddities like Tokyo Jungle and Vib-Ribbon.

jen_yakzua

17 Oct 2023

There's no reason to any Japan studios that want to sell their games will put it on PlayStation

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I assume that the deal would be:
  • Sony helps NC Soft with worldwide PR & marketing support plus store featuring in exchange of getting console exclusivity for NC Soft games
  • NC Soft develops some mobile games (with maybe PC or PS5 versions) of Sony IPs
  • NC Soft develops or codevelops some PC (+maybe PS5+mobile too) MMOs using Sony IPs, like the rumored Horizon MMO
  • NC Soft supports Sony in Korea regarding PR & marketing plus store featuring in local stores
  • Sony makes some movie or tv show adaptation of some top or new NC Soft IP

It won't harm PS at all.

Sony will support NC Soft in some things (maybe supporting them with console marketing or making some movie adaptation) and NC Soft will support Sony in some other things (maybe developing some PC MMO or mobile game using Sony IPs).

Games like Spider-Man, Wolverine or God of War will continue as they are. If something, SIE's console games now will now have more budget to make more and better games thanks to the extra profit they will get with this deal with NC Soft.

If the deal would be with Sony Music instead of with SIE these profits would go to fund some music album instead.
Exactly

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
There's no reason to any Japan studios that want to sell their games will put it on PlayStation
Why vest in Japan studios if they want to grow the ps brand and market. Japan console market is relatively static and Japanese studios have strong risk aversion. Japan rarely produces big new ip and a lot of Japanese devs talked about who impressed they were by a game like ghost of Tsushima. There is a lot of innovation and risk occurring in China, South Korea and other parts of the world but most Japanese focuses too much on small niche games that grantee comfortable sales.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Why vest in Japan studios if they want to grow the ps brand and market. Japan console market is relatively static and Japanese studios have strong risk aversion. Japan rarely produces big new ip and a lot of Japanese devs talked about who impressed they were by a game like ghost of Tsushima. There is a lot of innovation and risk occurring in China, South Korea and other parts of the world but most Japanese focuses too much on small niche games that grantee comfortable sales.
No, it's because japanese games don't get a big budget. Japanese publishers don't take risks.