[Neil Druckmann] - "I've started thinking about how many of these games I have left in me - And its not that many" (at least not at this scale)

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Do you see yourself doing this [making games] forever, have any new passions arisen in you?

I've had other opportunities that I've really enjoyed like the HBO show, the Universal Theme Park - I guess I'll say, I dont see myself doing this forever at this scale. Its a lot, and it takes a lot out of you. Its very stressful to manage that many people and multiple studios worldwide. You know so, you were talking about entering this new phase in your life, where your kids are number 1, and im in a similar place where my kids are number 1. And I know that, especially my daughter whos 13 - And I feel like, life is just pulling her away from me. So I know that time is limited and its very precious to me, so I dont want to waste it when they do wanna spend time with me. Yeah so, im sure ill reach a point in my life when I say "Whats the end game here"?, when is it time to call it? So I could see myself transitioning to something thats more lowkey, and lower stressed, that still allows me to have this creative outlet. I've started thinking about how many of these games I have in me - And its not that many
On his new game: Says working on it makes him truly happy. Its really ambitious. Parts of it [the development] are really hard, but he's really surrendered to the fact that parts of the development are going to stress people out, how does he make the development of it an enjoyable experience for himself and the team?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
As long as ND doesnt lose its DNA, then it will be ok. The attention to detail, voice acting, gameplay, set pieces etc.

People are quick to forget, this guy has been apart of every GOTY or 90+ rating game ND has produced except Jak & Daxter 1 .

And Directed 3 of them. Having someone like that leave kinda sucks for ND, especially so young

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
As long as ND doesnt lose its DNA, then it will be ok. The attention to detail, voice acting, gameplay, set pieces etc.

People are quick to forget, this guy has been apart of every GOTY or 90+ rating game ND has produced except Jak & Daxter 1 .

And Directed 3 of them. Having someone like that leave kinda sucks for ND, especially so young

No Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin, no care

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Just like what most people guessed. He has his sights set on Hollywood.
ppl who want low key low stress work don’t go running to Hollywood it’s just as bad as gaming. Sure he could end up in producing and writing every thing he just said stressful and demanding about gaming is just the same or worse in Hollywood.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
It’s a stupid ass question and his answer is obvious.

I’ve heard high profile directors say the exact same shit and by the time they are 60 they still couldn’t stop.

It is what it is, the ride stops when it stops there’s no date.

• brain
Reactions: Ezekiel

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Let other younger game directors take over, please. I understand that Neil’s contributions to gaming are very significant, but let joy and happiness take over ND’s games.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Last of Us Pt 2 is an incredible game from top to bottom. It barely has any competition at the top of the all-time cinematic action game heap. Druckmann is like the James Cameron of game directors, able to deploy an army of people around the world to produce something that's both cutting edge and human.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Let other younger game directors take over, please. I understand that Neil’s contributions to gaming are very significant, but let joy and happiness take over ND’s games.

What if younger game directors were raised on phone games and gaas?