New ps5 update replaces games key art with news and ads

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
doesn't change that it's shit. I want to see just game key art.
News were fine below where I would never see that crap
It's a bug according to someone at PlayStation.

The news feed was always there but you had to press down to see it now it's always showing.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
its giving xbox

edit: this is bait, glitch confirmed.

People gonna run w this tho

Last edited:

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Surely there is a better way to do this. The small box showing the current price of the game or dlc was sufficient.

Reactions: Ico

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is not new.

Some publishers choose to add activities cards to their games... other not... same way they can choose what it will be show in the main PS Store page.
They can choose to show the activities tracking (if they have activities cards) or show the news from the game at the top of the page.

The news part always existed.

BTW it is not Ads... they are actually news that the publisher posts about the game.
The publisher now have more options to setup their game page.

Edit - It is not even related to PS5 firmware update lol

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Glad to see Sony confirmed this. Some thought nothing changed lol.
The change was that you had to go down to see it and now it's on top. They didn't replace it with ads like people are saying.

I consider them advertisements.
Be honest. Did you consider it a big issue for you until this made-up controversy? They were literally there for years and nobody ever talked about it.

Reactions: ethomaz

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Be honest. Did you consider it a big issue for you until this made-up controversy? They were literally there for years and nobody ever talked about it.
I didn't make up anything. I always complained about the ads on the Explore tab. Then I praised when they replaced the Explore tab with the Welcome tab, allowing me to customise the tab to remove ads. Then seeing ads appear when highlighting icons was not good.

How did I make up this controversy?

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I consider them advertisements.
How exactly? they are not advertising others products or games.... they are just posting news bout the game (not others games)... like when you post a patch you post a news feed... or when you release a new video from a game you post a news feed. When change the release date... or the game is having critical issues.... post a maintenance window... etc

I have a way different ideia of what Advertisements are... a developer posting news about the game are just news.

And publishers / developers could post news about their games on PS Store page since I remember using PS5.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
How exactly? they are not advertising others products or games.... they are just posting news bout the game (not others games)... like when you post a patch you post a news feed... or when you release a new video from a game you post a news feed. When change the release date... or the game is having critical issues.... etc

I have a way different ideia of what Advertisements are... a developer posting news about the game are just news.

And publishers / developers could post news about their games on PS Store page since I remember using PS5.
Ok 👍

excaliburps

Media
13 Jun 2024
FYI: I posted that yesterday and bigger sites posted it today (and most sourced us, thankfully). There's a lot more images we captured here: https://mp1st.com/news/ps5-new-ui-u...ted-forced-news-feed-and-ads-to-select-titles

You can even get confused, as the Horizon Zero Dawn tile shows the LEGO Horizon Adventures background. It's just messy, and the only way to stop it is to disconnect from the net.

I am now curious how much this translates to actual sales. Sony won't reveal the stats but genuinely curious if this even works.

Sony gives us wallpapers back, but then craps on it with ads. Sigh.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
FYI: I posted that yesterday and bigger sites posted it today (and most sourced us, thankfully). There's a lot more images we captured here: https://mp1st.com/news/ps5-new-ui-u...ted-forced-news-feed-and-ads-to-select-titles

You can even get confused, as the Horizon Zero Dawn tile shows the LEGO Horizon Adventures background. It's just messy, and the only way to stop it is to disconnect from the net.

I am now curious how much this translates to actual sales. Sony won't reveal the stats but genuinely curious if this even works.

Sony gives us wallpapers back, but then craps on it with ads. Sigh.
There is no ad at all.
There is a news feed (that always existed) which the developer can write what they want about the game.

Now I question... which is the place to the developer release a news announcement from a new spin-off game based in the Horizon Zero Dawn?
Yes... the game page news feed.

The background change is probably a bug... it should not be showing the background of the latest news feed unless you open that news feed post.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I didn't make up anything. I always complained about the ads on the Explore tab. Then I praised when they replaced the Explore tab with the Welcome tab, allowing me to customise the tab to remove ads. Then seeing ads appear when highlighting icons was not good.

How did I make up this controversy?
I'm talking about the news feed.

When you saw the news feed before, with the latest patch notes or sequel announcement for the game you are playing, you considered that aggressive ads worth dozens of articles and 10-pages threads about it?

We know why this is blowing up everywhere. It's just the latest thing to get angry about. These "ads" were there for 4 years.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Steam does the same, click on any game and there's a section there with updates and related news.

I wonder why it never blew up like this, with people saying they will drop PC and move to PS5 because of it 🤭
I suspect because of this bug that has changed the feed to some serious whack stuff when highlighting these icons. The good news is, I bet it is fixed by weeks end.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That dude that said it was a bug deleted his tweet. I'm nervous. If this is an actual direction they're going in I'm not going to be interested in any Sony products going forward. Ads are completely unacceptable in paid-for hardware.

• haha