[NPD] PS5 Sold More Than 620,000 Units in March, a New Record for PlayStation platform

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
These xbox meldowns have tasted incredible today. Xbox users will blame the issue on everything but their corporates overlord! SONY brings in the business, MS does not! MS has to pay developers to even give them the time of day. Its giving Windows Phone part 2!

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
giphy.gif

Not much announced past 2023 other than Wolverine, Rise of Ronin and Death Stranding 2. Pretty much all PlayStation Studios and partners are working on unannounced games. Let's see what happens after this whole ABK things is in the past.

The thing about Jim Ryan so far is that his moves all look a lot better in retrospect:
- Betting big on crossgen? Obviously the right call.
- Taking it easy with the hype? Doesn't look like the PS5 is struggling.
- Securing timed exclusives with Bethesda? Ensured that a games like Deathloop and Gosthwire actually got released on PS5 at a time that current gen only games were scarce.
- PS+ rework, both PS+ Essentials and Extra are great services.
- Trying to block the ABK deal seemed like a long shot but he at least made sure to slow and shit all over that thing, at least slowing down MS acquisition spree.
- PC ports haven't negatively affected PS5 sales so far.

Damage from PC ports wouldn't effect the sales early in the generation, because that early demand is guaranteed. It would bring the ceiling on sales lower and that is only visible at the end of the generation...

It also negates the cumulative effect of exclusives. Instead of a long list of exclusives like on PS4, now people will only see the exclusives from maybe 2 years as a reason to buy a PS5, if the older games are ported to PC.

In that case PC has all Xbox, eventually nearly all PS games and PC games and exclusives too.... so I have no doubt it will hurt PS sales in some way if they keep porting strong single player games.

Hope I have made my point clear.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Damage from PC ports wouldn't effect the sales early in the generation, because that early demand is guaranteed. It would bring the ceiling on sales lower and that is only visible at the end of the generation...

It also negates the cumulative effect of exclusives. Instead of a long list of exclusives like on PS4, now people will only see the exclusives from maybe 2 years as a reason to buy a PS5, if the older games are ported to PC.

In that case PC has all Xbox, eventually nearly all PS games and PC games and exclusives too.... so I have no doubt it will hurt PS sales in some way if they keep porting strong single player games.

Hope I have made my point clear.
I get your point, I'm just saying we can't pass judgment on Jim Ryan for that yet. There just has been no measurable negative consequence yet.

Clearly their PC strategy isn't going great but it could still turn out to have been the right move (including long term things like being able to run their games on any hardware for their cloud solution without sacrificing PS5 production). Just like a lot of people got mad over crossgen God of War Ragnarok/GT7/Horizon FW/Miles Morales the PS5 did just fine with the other few current gen only games it had.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
FromSoftware and Arc System Works are pretty affordable and would drastically improve their internal development presence in Japan.
The only Arc System Works that had good sales was Dragon Ball Fighters, which as a Dragon Ball game sold as a Dragon Ball game. So I think that even if not very interesting, they have potential because Sony could try to do the same with other game or anime IP that they own and could fit, and also could help them fit the eSports/EVO investments they recently did.

They would be affordable but that would be in the case they would want or need to want to sell, which doesn't seem to be the case. I think the maximum and most realistic thing Sony can do is what they already do: to continue offering them what they already do: to pay them for 3rd party exclusives for games that aren't external licenses (licensors may require multiplatform to sell more).

FromSoft is owned by Kadokawa, which is mostly a book/manga/magazine publishing company and Sony isn't interested on that market. Fromsoft is their main gamedev studio, so I highly doubt that Kadokawa would want to sell it. With the recent Elden Ring success I don't think Kadokawa may be interested on selling them or their game division. Game division that I think Sony won't be interested in because other than FromSoft the other stuff isn't interested enough for Sony.

I think that with Kadokawa the best and more realistic option is the one they already do: to continue signing exclusive games for them as they did dozens of times with Fromsoft games and also dozens of times with other Kadokawa games. And to continue investing on them when there is a chance (meaning, when Kadokawa decides to sell a portion of the FromSoft shares again) and to continue developing the collaboration deal they signed with Sony under the Jimbo era.

You wanting Sony to buy them doesn't mean that it is possible or that it makes sense for both sides.
None of FromSoftware current plans go against what Sony would want from them unless they have some Xbox exclusive in the works. FromSoftware is actually pretty vulnerable to being purchased by MS because it's not a publisher.
This isn't the case at all. Both Kadokawa and From Soft released dozens of PS exclusives since the PS1, they have a long term partnership/friendship with Sony and collaboration deal to the point Kadokawa gave 2% of the company recently to Sony.

In case Kadokawa would want to sell the company, their game division or From Soft, which doesn't seem to be the case and wouldn't be a good idea, because if FromSoft continues performing very well their valuation will continue growing, they'd talk first with Sony because of their relationship with them and because Sony is a Kadokawa and FromSoft shareholder. And well, because they share common shareholders with Sony.

What does Sony have to lose?
I'm pretty sure Sony would want to buy FromSoft and that they have the money. But this isn't enough to buy a company, or in this case the most successful part of a partner. This isn't how things work. To buy a company isn't like to buy potatoes. The other part must also want to sell.

Why would Hidetaka Miyazaki want to work for Kadokawa over Sony?
He's only an employee. His personal opinion isn't enough to sell a studio, the gaming division where he's included or the entire corportation where his studio is included.

As for PS indies, what teams are you talking about? It's not like they ended up buying the guys that made Kena, Stray, Sifu, etc or announced more games from them.
PS Indies is a SIE team that nurtures the Sony relationships with indies, gives them visibility, signs with them some exclusivity deals, and improves the paperwork and other things involved in the relationship between indies and PS. They have a team in Japan and a team in USA. Shuhei Yoshida, former boss of PS Studios (and game producer in Japan Studio before that) is in charge of PS Studios.

One of the roles of Yoshida in the past was to help Japanese indies, and did it via publishing some of them as 2nd party, buying them their IP and paying them for full exclusivity. But stopped doing that because now it's better for both Sony and the indies to allow them to self publish and agree only a timed console exclusivity.

By doing that with the same money Sony can sign way more games, the indie gets more revenue for more platforms, keeps the IP for them (so can do sequels or whatever they want with the IP) and have more freedom and flexibility being outside a major publisher who may not be interested on releasing a sequel of some small game they did in the past or something like that, as could be to want to do some game but the big publisher may not be interested on it. Being outside they can do it anyways, can go with someone else if needed.

PS Indies job is not related with Sony acquiring indies. It's related with making the life of PS indies easier and better. And studios acquired by Sony aren't indies, because Sony is a major pubisher and indies are the teams/games that are outside the major publishers.

Thanks to their PS Indies initiative they have more support from indies than ever before, which also includes getting more indie exclusivities than before, even if -as happens in all platforms- in most cases these exclusivities now are temporal or temporal console exclusivities and now the platform holders doesn't own their IPs.

Games like Sifu, Stray or Kena have been very successful, so very likely will work with Sony again thanks to the support that PS Indies offered them. Or not, because they are free to do whatever they want, they aren't slaves. In that case they'd be replaced by some other great indie that the great scouts from the PS Indies team will find. These 3 teams are small so will need time to develop their next game and have it in a good enough shape to announce it.

- Trying to block the ABK deal seemed like a long shot but he at least made sure to slow and shit all over that thing, at least slowing down MS acquisition spree.
Regarding this, it's worth mentioning that when MS went to buy ABK asked Sony for a deal to extend the publishing of CoD on PS for 3 more years. Jimbo told them to fuck off and MS moved to ask them to sign a deal to extend it for at least 10 years instead of 3 years.

So they also are apparently securing CoD for longer period of time, even if Jimbo continues fighting to kill the acquisition.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I get your point, I'm just saying we can't pass judgment on Jim Ryan for that yet. There just has been no measurable negative consequence yet.

Clearly their PC strategy isn't going great but it could still turn out to have been the right move (including long term things like being able to run their games on any hardware for their cloud solution without sacrificing PS5 production). Just like a lot of people got mad over crossgen God of War Ragnarok/GT7/Horizon FW/Miles Morales the PS5 did just fine with the other few current gen only games it had.

For sure...and I actually admire Jim a lot for how he has gone all out against the ABK deal and how he 'lets the games do the talking'

He certainly has admirable qualities.

Time will tell with the rest...I just hope they are willing to make changes if they need to. Even if it means going back on such an initiative.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The only Arc System Works that had good sales was Dragon Ball Fighters, which as a Dragon Ball game sold as a Dragon Ball game. So I think that even if not very interesting, they have potential because Sony could try to do the same with other game or anime IP that they own and could fit, and also could help them fit the eSports/EVO investments they recently did.
I doubt Sony is paying for Arc System games exclusives if they are that is a legit waste of money compared to just acquiring them.

FromSoft is owned by Kadokawa, which is mostly a book/manga/magazine publishing company and Sony isn't interested on that market. Fromsoft is their main gamedev studio, so I highly doubt that Kadokawa would want to sell it. With the recent Elden Ring success I don't think Kadokawa may be interested on selling them or their game division. Game division that I think Sony won't be interested in because other than FromSoft the other stuff isn't interested enough for Sony.
You don't need to buy Kadokawa to buy FromSoftware, in fact Sony already own part of FromSoftware. The fact that Kadokawa isn't that bing into games besides FromSoftware makes it easier for Sony to buy them off, not to mention that FromSoftware don't own most of their IPs. Kadokawa would sell or not depending on the price, the question is does Sony value FromSoftware more than Kadokawa? They definitely should.

He's only an employee. His personal opinion isn't enough to sell a studio, the gaming division where he's included or the entire corportation where his studio is included.
He is FromSoftware. Dude it the creative director, designer, scriptwriter, and president there and one of the most influential individuals in the game industry for the past 15 years. He is pretty much the only dude they need to convince he holds all the cards.

PS Indies is a SIE team that nurtures the Sony relationships with indies, gives them visibility, signs with them some exclusivity deals, and improves the paperwork and other things involved in the relationship between indies and PS. They have a team in Japan and a team in USA. Shuhei Yoshida, former boss of PS Studios (and game producer in Japan Studio before that) is in charge of PS Studios.

One of the roles of Yoshida in the past was to help Japanese indies, and did it via publishing some of them as 2nd party, buying them their IP and paying them for full exclusivity. But stopped doing that because now it's better for both Sony and the indies to allow them to self publish and agree only a timed console exclusivity.

By doing that with the same money Sony can sign way more games, the indie gets more revenue for more platforms, keeps the IP for them (so can do sequels or whatever they want with the IP) and have more freedom and flexibility being outside a major publisher who may not be interested on releasing a sequel of some small game they did in the past or something like that, as could be to want to do some game but the big publisher may not be interested on it. Being outside they can do it anyways, can go with someone else if needed.

PS Indies job is not related with Sony acquiring indies. It's related with making the life of PS indies easier and better. And studios acquired by Sony aren't indies, because Sony is a major pubisher and indies are the teams/games that are outside the major publishers.

Thanks to their PS Indies initiative they have more support from indies than ever before, which also includes getting more indie exclusivities than before, even if -as happens in all platforms- in most cases these exclusivities now are temporal or temporal console exclusivities and now the platform holders doesn't own their IPs.

Games like Sifu, Stray or Kena have been very successful, so very likely will work with Sony again thanks to the support that PS Indies offered them. Or not, because they are free to do whatever they want, they aren't slaves. In that case they'd be replaced by some other great indie that the great scouts from the PS Indies team will find. These 3 teams are small so will need time to develop their next game and have it in a good enough shape to announce it.

Regarding this, it's worth mentioning that when MS went to buy ABK asked Sony for a deal to extend the publishing of CoD on PS for 3 more years. Jimbo told them to fuck off and MS moved to ask them to sign a deal to extend it for at least 10 years instead of 3 years.

So they also are apparently securing CoD for longer period of time, even if Jimbo continues fighting to kill the acquisition.
Shuhei has been underutilized and PS Indies isn't doing nearly as much with indies as Xbox. To me they should leverage their position and close contact with all those develpers to recognize talent studios early on and bet on them.

For sure...and I actually admire Jim a lot for how he has gone all out against the ABK deal and how he 'lets the games do the talking'

He certainly has admirable qualities.

Time will tell with the rest...I just hope they are willing to make changes if they need to. Even if it means going back on such an initiative.
The problem with their PC strategy is that it's pretty hard to go back to how things were. They already have dedicated studios, adapted their engines and workflow to accommodate PC, etc.

What they can do is to just maintain a reasonable windows between PS5 and PC releases and make sure it doesn't turn into too much work for their studios. No need to think too much about it, keep PS5 as priority number one for everything.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I doubt Sony is paying for Arc System games exclusives if they are that is a legit waste of money compared to just acquiring them.
It doesn't make sense to give exclusives for free.

You don't need to buy Kadokawa to buy FromSoftware, in fact Sony already own part of FromSoftware.
You need to convince and buy Kadokawa to buy FromSoft because Kadokawa owns FromSoft.

This or convince Kadokawa to branch out and sell From Soft. But Kadokawa only wanted to sell a portion of FromSoft and decided to sell a portion to Tencent and a portion to Sony. Which pretty likely means that they don't want to sell it, because if it would have been the case they'd have sell the whole studio or would have only sold to a single company.

The fact that Kadokawa isn't that bing into games besides FromSoftware makes it easier for Sony to buy them off
Their size in games doesn't matter. Big or small, if Kadokawa doesn't want to sell nobody buys it.

, not to mention that FromSoftware don't own most of their IPs.
Kadokawa is the owner of FromSoft IP, so Kadokawa owns them. If you mean that FromSoft doesn't own some of the IPs they worked on, like Bloodborne, Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, this is true.

Kadokawa would sell or not depending on the price
We don't know if it's the case or not. Most likely it isn't the case because they only sold a small portion to two different companies and the value of the studio recently skyrocketed, meaning it's likely that it would continue skyrocketing in the next years.

Which means that even if they want to sell it's better to wait because its value can be way higher in a few

He is FromSoftware. Dude it the creative director, designer, scriptwriter, and president there and one of the most influential individuals in the game industry for the past 15 years. He is pretty much the only dude they need to convince he holds all the cards.
According to him he doesn't decide in which game does FromSoftware work, that it doesn't depend on him. So even less to decide if the studio is sold or if sold, to who is the buyer.

Shuhei has been underutilized and PS Indies isn't doing nearly as much with indies as Xbox. To me they should leverage their position and close contact with all those develpers to recognize talent studios early on and bet on them.
Shuhei is working where he wanted to work. He pitched Jimbo with some ideas to help indies. Jimbo liked them asked him if he wanted to work on managing a division to implement them and he agreed. This is how PS Indies was created.

And yes, part of what PS Indies is to scout indies to identify the ones with potential and bet on them.

The problem with their PC strategy is that it's pretty hard to go back to how things were. They already have dedicated studios, adapted their engines and workflow to accommodate PC, etc.
And they are reaching their estimates and are generating hundreds of millions in profit with their PC strategy. So this is why they will continue betting on it. It would be retarded and nonsensical to stop it.

What they can do is to just maintain a reasonable windows between PS5 and PC releases and make sure it doesn't turn into too much work for their studios. No need to think too much about it, keep PS5 as priority number one for everything.
This is what they said that they are going to do. With maybe some GaaS exception that potentially maybe could be realeased day one, they'll continue keeping a distance between their original PS release and the PC one. And well, they also said that won't port all their games to PC. Only some of them will be ported.

In addition to this, they plan to release every year more games in console than in PC, meaning that over time the amount of PS only games will increase, not decrease.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It doesn't make sense to give exclusives for free.
If you think that Sony pays for every exclusive they get you are mistaken, plenty of games developed by Japanses publishers are just natural PS exclusive were the devs didn't think it was worth their time to make an Xbox or PC version at launch (these days most games get PC version tho).

You need to convince and buy Kadokawa to buy FromSoft because Kadokawa owns FromSoft.

This or convince Kadokawa to branch out and sell From Soft. But Kadokawa only wanted to sell a portion of FromSoft and decided to sell a portion to Tencent and a portion to Sony. Which pretty likely means that they don't want to sell it, because if it would have been the case they'd have sell the whole studio or would have only sold to a single company.

Their size in games doesn't matter. Big or small, if Kadokawa doesn't want to sell nobody buys it.

Kadokawa is the owner of FromSoft IP, so Kadokawa owns them. If you mean that FromSoft doesn't own some of the IPs they worked on, like Bloodborne, Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, this is true.;
You don't need to buy a company to buy something they own. I don't know why you are so adamant that they don't want to sell, it's way more likely that Sony is the one that doesn't want to buy them (since they had opportunity to buy them for very little before, after they already had some hits yet chose not to do so).

As for From Software not owning most of their IPs they created that is just a fact. That devalues them compared to a company like Bungie for example that owned Destiny.

Sony does seem to favor buying companies that own little or none of the IPs they worked with. Pretty much the opposite strategy of MS that is focused mostly on acquiring IPs. I like Sony strategy a lot more since it's all about talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Holy shit, that's almost November numbers in March, insane.

Yeah y'all this gen is a wrap. There's no path where Xbox can hope to even catch up, especially since you know Nintendo's in the mix with a new Switch coming sooner or later. Their best hope is to just ensure their 1P releases are the best they can possibly be, and try building up some franchise power out of them.

They can't drop the ball whatsoever and the work with their 1P this gen would be very helpful for the next generation Xbox. But something tells me MS can't manage to accomplish this, much less do so for the next five years.

Looking at the talent leak from the studios under MS and their first-party output this gen, I believe MS has already dropped the ball. The focus on Game Pass, acquisitions, and playing take-away from other platforms tells me they will not pick it back up either. To be perfectly blunt, I don't like MS as a company. Despite that, I still like seeing great games being released no matter the source. I just don't see MS being capable of that after years of poor results.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
People are starting to realize the obvious…

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Thanks for bumping this.

The obvious what? I already proved in a later post in that thread that XBS December is going to be well over November. Nothing to do with my usual estimates. Just a straight up PS5 analysis.

Either dispute the math or stop crying.

I am also kind of annoyed that for 8/11 months I'm damn near spot on for PS5 but it's the 3/11 that has some going all aggro, and the reason I only have a 3/11 mistake is because of Xbox, not PS5 itself!
IMO I did not make any math yet but these Xbox numbers seems higher than NPD tell us.

Install base is working with Series being up YoY and having a better Q1 than related period for XB1 🤡
Do you like not knowing what you're talking about? The numbers for 2022 are out there.

XBS January 2022: 307K
February: 261K
March: 489K

I don't have XBS being up a single month this year.

Where's your math? You always dodge showing any work.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
People are starting to realize the obvious…

Check out this serving of hot horseshit: https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/box-office-charts-2023-04-21.1536/

The forum of videogame sales enthusiasts has gained a sudden and surely coincidental interest in box office numbers!