OT Drama | Other Gaming Forums (GAF, ResetERA, D-Pad, Twitter, etc..)

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I don't see it that way. I don't see the need to ban someone because they troll a game (regardless of platform). Aside from Nintendo, Sony and MS gamers go at it on each side. Some will even be sly about it ride a negative reviewers comments so they can troll on the sly. Bottomline is that trolling shouldn't be a bannable offense. And I agree with some people there saying that if it was some other game less high profile that this guy says "interactive movie", it would have went past without a fight. I remember the ridiculous trolling of Halo Infinite's vertical slice back on GAF. I got so sick and tired of the "Craig" memes. It was way too much and mods allowed it.

He wasn't banned for trolling GoW:R - he was given a warning about it. What got him banned was the post you linked. I don't know, I figure there could be a history there we don't know about. Thing is, don't you find it odd that someone would make the comment he did and then get mad at the mods for warning him about it? It was a comment that is provably wrong designed to dismiss a game he's never played or ever will play. You're right that some people are calling out the mods in the linked post - but very few of those are people I would describe as neutral in ye olde console wars. Sometimes I'm not sure if what we're seeing is harmless trolling, warring, or a complete lack of self-awareness but I don't see this bias you speak of. Guy said something dumb, got warned for it, decided the best course of action was to blame the mods, and got banned for it. That's what I see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75 and Sircaw
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

He wasn't banned for trolling GoW:R - he was given a warning about it. What got him banned was the post you linked. I don't know, I figure there could be a history there we don't know about. Thing is, don't you find it odd that someone would make the comment he did and then get mad at the mods for warning him about it? It was a comment that is provably wrong designed to dismiss a game he's never played or ever will play. You're right that some people are calling out the mods in the linked post - but very few of those are people I would describe as neutral in ye olde console wars. Sometimes I'm not sure if what we're seeing is harmless trolling, warring, or a complete lack of self-awareness but I don't see this bias you speak of. Guy said something dumb, got warned for it, decided the best course of action was to blame the mods, and got banned for it. That's what I see.
I respect your opinion. My point is that he shouldnt' have gotten warned in the first place. Calling a major AAA masterpiece game an "interactive movie" is complete trolling with exaggeration - but so what? Many gamers use hyperbole all the time in forums when it concerns games that people love. It shouldn't have been modded. Imagine trying to mod every single Craig meme to describe the horrible vertical slice of Halo Infinite?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nym

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I respect your opinion. My point is that he shouldnt' have gotten warned in the first place. Calling a major AAA masterpiece game an "interactive movie" is complete trolling with exaggeration - but so what? Many gamers use hyperbole all the time in forums when it concerns games that people love. It shouldn't have been modded. Imagine trying to mod every single Craig meme to describe the horrible vertical slice of Halo Infinite?

You do realise that GAF banned a bunch of people for Craig memes? At one point, any criticism of Xbox was met with thread bans, temp bans or even full on permanent bans. GAF had a period where they were banning pretty much every single person that spoke ill of Microsoft. Things changed a bit once the elf started losing revenue and then came back begging for money.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

You do realise that GAF banned a bunch of people for Craig memes? At one point, any criticism of Xbox was met with thread bans, temp bans or even full on permanent bans. GAF had a period where they were banning pretty much every single person that spoke ill of Microsoft. Things changed a bit once the elf started losing revenue and then came back begging for money.
I don't remember any bans on that thread about Halo Infinite's screenshots. All I remember is the Sony guys going wild over how crappy the game looked and was literally griefing Xbox guys for pages and pages. :LOL:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I don't remember any bans on that thread about Halo Infinite's screenshots. All I remember is the Sony guys going wild over how crappy the game looked and was literally griefing Xbox guys for pages and pages. :LOL:
This is still my absolute Favorite

74183_2_xbox-rolls-with-the-punches-embraces-halo-craig-meme-as-new-mascot.jpg

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

As a person who doesn't troll like that, I find those comments and the people who make them annoying. It's disingenuous and, just like @Sircaw, I don't appreciate that quality. It's not once or twice, here and there, I've seen comments like that hundreds of times at this point. If you are so much of a warrior that the idea of a game doing well hurts your feelings (which I believe is the case with the person who was banned), then maybe you're too precious to be on the internet in the first place. I respect your opinion too and I get what you're saying. It's just that there comes a point where trolling just frustrates many people like myself.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
As a person who doesn't troll like that, I find those comments and the people who make them annoying. It's disingenuous and, just like @Sircaw, I don't appreciate that quality. It's not once or twice, here and there, I've seen comments like that hundreds of times at this point. If you are so much of a warrior that the idea of a game doing well hurts your feelings (which I believe is the case with the person who was banned), then maybe you're too precious to be on the internet in the first place. I respect your opinion too and I get what you're saying. It's just that there comes a point where trolling just frustrates many people like myself.

When I am frustrated with a user, I use the ignore features to nuke them from my site experience. Why is this not an acceptable solution to removing content you don't like?

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
When I am frustrated with a user, I use the ignore features to nuke them from my site experience. Why is this not an acceptable solution to removing content you don't like?

I just skim the comments of people like that normally or, over time, just skip certain users entirely. I'm offering a perspective on this particular situation that doesn't coincide with trolling is fine. That's it.

Nym

21 Jun 2022
I just skim the comments of people like that normally or, over time, just skip certain users entirely. I'm offering a perspective on this particular situation that doesn't coincide with trolling is fine. That's it.

tbh that doesn't really sound like a large problem. Or even a small one.

>see posts you don't like
>eventually ignore the poster either manually or via site tools

There seems to be a contingent of people who are fine with others being banned simply for being annoying people, and I'm saying it seems more ideal to let users decide this for themselves, it's a one click solution.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
tbh that doesn't really sound like a large problem. Or even a small one.

>see posts you don't like
>eventually ignore the poster either manually or via site tools

There seems to be a contingent of people who are fine with others being banned simply for being annoying people, and I'm saying it seems more ideal to let users decide this for themselves, it's a one click solution.

I'm not sure whether the person in question was banned for being an annoying person. I believe it may have more to do with his post directly calling out the mods - with the implication they are the problem, not him. I don't like the idea of people being banned, but I understand why it happens when it does. From what I can tell, in most cases, warnings are given before such extreme action is taken. I get what you're saying about letting users decide for themselves and it sounds ideal - but, in reality, comments like that tend to derail threads, interfere with discussion, and cause many people to just check out. Maybe they should just do what you do, but they don't.

Nym

21 Jun 2022
I'm not sure whether the person in question was banned for being an annoying person. I believe it may have more to do with his post directly calling out the mods

I don't know what the content of this post was but calling out mods generally should not be considered off the table imo

From what I can tell, in most cases, warnings are given before such extreme action is taken.

I'm with VFX that something like moderate trolling should not be given warnings

I get what you're saying about letting users decide for themselves and it sounds ideal

I don't see any downside to this

...but, in reality, comments like that tend to derail threads, interfere with discussion, and cause many people to just check out.

What was it you said about being too precious to be on the internet? Nothing you listed is an action carried out by the hypothetical troll in question.

>derail threads - some people clearly want to engage with the content if the discussion turns towards it

> "interfere with discussion" - adding to a discussion does not prevent you in any way from engaging with the people who are discussing things more to your liking

> cause many people to check out - seems like some are too precious for the internet indeed

Reactions: Falcs

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I don't know what the content of this post was but calling out mods generally should not be considered off the table imo

I'm with VFX that something like moderate trolling should not be given warnings

I don't see any downside to this

What was it you said about being too precious to be on the internet? Nothing you listed is an action carried out by the hypothetical troll in question.

>derail threads - some people clearly want to engage with the content if the discussion turns towards it

> "interfere with discussion" - adding to a discussion does not prevent you in any way from engaging with the people who are discussing things more to your liking

> cause many people to check out - seems like some are too precious for the internet indeed

I'm not interested in having an argument with you. You think trolling is fine. You've made your perspective clear. What I'm passing along is feedback I've seen people give about constant warring and trolling - this is a topic that has come up multiple times in various places. Your way of dealing with it is your way. Expecting everyone else to adopt your way is unrealistic. I think what you've said about ignoring users makes sense, but it won't to many others. That's why we see trolling getting warnings and bans. It has an impact, like it or not.

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Listen man some of us can't control ourselves and want action taken by someone else

• haha
Reactions: Falcs

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I think it was the 1, 2 punch. Iirc Phill was bragging how he felt really confident in XB's lineup after hearing rumors of Sony's or something like that. Then they show Craig. What?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Ronda Rousey's want portrayal of Sonya Blade got me permabanned from Era. She was horrific.

Reactions: Bryank75