PC gamers happy with State of PlayStation, PlayStation gamers generally very disappointed

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I think they will be fine and will make money, but won't make as much money as they could have if they bet on being THE entertainment centre for your living room. They won't be, and the PS5 will sell less than the PS4. I'd be surprised if it reaches 110M sales, nevermind 117 or 120M.
If PlayStation slows down the entire Sony company is in trouble. How do you think the market will react when they realize each following PlayStation console will sell less than the last and that most of their games flop on PC and generate very little additional money on top of delaying the rate that their games release and sales of those same games on PlayStation consoles?

They are betting their entire future on more GaaS hits like Helldivers 2 and becoming a third party publisher like Xbox. It might even work out for them but it sure won't work out for fans of their single player games.

Some weird stuff is already happening with half the people refusing to upgrade from PS4 and games like HFW underperforming.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Again with the Japan studios worship, if their games sold well they would not have been shut down. Even if SoTC is one the greatest games ever made it still hasn't crossed 2 million copies sold. Same with gravity rush and last guardian, these games look good on a list to show off but offer zero returns even if they are great games
Japan Studio released many AA or simpler games that were absolutely profitable, including gravity rush 2. They didn't need to keep the focus on artsy experiments (even though they were great), they could very well keep the focus on AA games like Astrobot. Instead they spun off Team Asobi and killed the other teams.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Japan Studio released many AA or simpler games that were absolutely profitable, including gravity rush 2. They didn't need to keep the focus on artsy experiments (even though they were great), they could very well keep the focus on AA games like Astrobot. Instead they spun off Team Asobi and killed the other teams.
Japan Studio games did not appeal to the PC audience, to Sony they served no purpose.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It was a decent show at most. If I were a console gamer I'd be pissed at Sony for trying to work on 10 gaas at a time and not at the old full priced single player PC ports that are released at 1 per quarter at most.

But I understand that a subset of console gamers gets boners by knowing that a game won't be playable on other device. Old behaviour forged in the 80s and old habits die hard.

Also these japanese historical action games are starting to saturate the market.

• sad
Reactions: arvfab

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
If you dislike 30fps then you'll be moving to PC pretty soon.

Is Astro Bot also a kid focused game or are you just a fanboy?
I already own a PC?? Nintendo hardware is just overpriced because they make a profit on it day one. Switch 2 will be incredibly dated when released in 2025. It has portability, but I think you're better off splashing out on a decent PC. You can do much more with it, and the software is better priced with way more sales and vendors.

Astrobot is definitely a kid-focused game, nothing to do with being a fanboy. Nintendo are virtually all kiddie-focused games, and the only games I consider AAA that interest me are Mario and Zelda.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I already own a PC?? Nintendo hardware is just overpriced because they make a profit on it day one. Switch 2 will be incredibly dated when released in 2025. It has portability, but I think you're better off splashing out on a decent PC. You can do much more with it, and the software is better priced with way more sales and vendors.

Astrobot is definitely a kid-focused game, nothing to do with being a fanboy. Nintendo are virtually all kiddie-focused games, and the only games I consider AAA that interest me are Mario and Zelda.
If you already own a PC why do you need the Switch 2 to be so powerful? Play the very few demanding games on PC.

I also have a PC, If the Switch 2 is more powerful than a PS4 with the added benefit of stuff like an SSD and DLSS there is plenty enough for me and might even be a smart way to keep game developing costs down. Portability, physical media and actual exclusives, that sounds great to me.

It's clearly extremely hard to make games that actually take advantage of this new hardware and pushes it as evidence by the lack of games able to do that even after 4 years.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
It was a decent show at most. If I were a console gamer I'd be pissed at Sony for trying to work on 10 gaas at a time and not at the old full priced single player PC ports that are released at 1 per quarter at most.
This strategy has been partially reversed, but the results of that will take some time.

Astrobot is definitely a kid-focused game, nothing to do with being a fanboy.
To be honest, for people like me with kids who keep asking their dads to "play the robot game" again and again in their PS5, Astro Bot is a godsend.

If you already own a PC why do you need the Switch 2 to so powerful? Play the very few demanding games on PC.
Or get a Steam Deck / ROG Ally / Legion Go / etc.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If PlayStation slows down the entire Sony company is in trouble. How do you think the market will react when they realize each following PlayStation console will sell less than the last and that most of their games flop on PC and generate very little additional money on top of delaying the rate that their games release and sales of those same games on PlayStation consoles?

They are betting their entire future on more GaaS hits like Helldivers 2 and becoming a third party publisher like Xbox. It might even work out for them but it sure won't work out for fans of their single player games.

Some weird stuff is already happening with half the people refusing to upgrade from PS4 and games like HFW underperforming.
Their next GaaS studio will be shut and lay off developers on August 23rd 😁

Reactions: Diah

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
We have 1 (one) 1st party single player game for the 2nd year in a row, but Jim and Hermen are awesome leaders…
Something like the late USSR, when things are going badly even by communist standards, but the great leader is still great, and gets another medal.

In this case, we had two leaders, and one constantly justified the other.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Ok this is getting ridiculous, now we are getting sony executives compared to communist politburo. What happens next? do we start calling Hulst a dictator. This is some touch grass behaviour going on

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Ok this is getting ridiculous, now we are getting sony executives compared to communist politburo. What happens next? do we start calling Hulst a dictator. This is some touch grass behaviour going on
I think @J_Paganel was making the point about cult of personality, not necessarily the politburo.

Reactions: J_Paganel

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
I think @J_Paganel was making the point about cult of personality, not necessarily the politburo.
Yes, that's what I meant, as well as cases when certain studio bosses received special treatment from top management for their work and projects because they are friends.

I remember Ryan saying that the success of Ghost of Tsushima came as a surprise to him, and this was against the backdrop of much weaker promotion of GofT, against the backdrop of ND, Insomoniac, and Gorilla projects.

The situation was similar with Days Gone, but there the game was released virtually unfinished, with even poorer marketing...

That is, we have the cult of personality in the form of Jimbo and Hulst, and elements of promotion of certain people based on personal relationships.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
So much doom posting. It is funny.
New 1st party single player game announcements since 2021 - 1 (Astro Bot)

New game in the making

1st party PC port announcements since 2021 - 13

An old ports, yes. Easy to port an already existing code and make few adjustments for PC.

They clearly don’t care anymore. No matter how much they lie about PS5 still being important to them, their actions don’t show that at all. It’s not even complacency anymore at this point, it’s just blatant disregard for real PS fans.

This, so much this.
We have 1 (one) 1st party single player game for the 2nd year in a row, but Jim and Hermen are awesome leaders…

Buy an Xbox. Now is an opportunity.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Again with the Japan studios worship, if their games sold well they would not have been shut down. Even if SoTC is one the greatest games ever made it still hasn't crossed 2 million copies sold. Same with gravity rush and last guardian, these games look good on a list to show off but offer zero returns even if they are great games
Who cares, amazing games adds incentives to buy console even if they are niche, it can still attract niche game enthusiasts. Diversity in gaming line-up and deepness. You widen your portfolio even if it is braking even.

Reactions: toadsage44

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Who cares, amazing games adds incentives to buy console even if they are niche, it can still attract niche game enthusiasts. Diversity in gaming line-up and deepness. You widen your portfolio even if it is braking even.
Its about the time, time is the major sunk cost here. Sony thinks that them taking 5-6 yrs to make AAA games both SP and GaaS is more profitable for them than earning a few million here and there with niche AA's popular with the enthusiast circles.

Whether that decision is right or wrong and will come to bite them in the ass time will tell, what will actually force their hand is if those niche AA's become batshit popular. If Astrobot sells gangbusters you can bet your ass they will greenlight a sequel with an even bigger budget as well as look into bringing back Jak or Sly with a reboot, same with other niche genres.

Ultimately I am all for diversity in genres, SoTC, Ico were pure greatness and I would like more of that but we also have to be realistic about gaming in 2024, the corporations follow where the consumers go.