PC gamers happy with State of PlayStation, PlayStation gamers generally very disappointed

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The console market is shrinking and fractured. Sony think, for some retarded reason, that the way to fix this is to follow Microsoft off of a cliff, rather than sticking to what has worked for 30 fucking years.

PlayStation's fate is destined to walk in the footsteps of the Xbox, cheered on by the same ostrich-like shills and 'fans'.

Bigger picture I think the industry is running out of steam to sell people on high end graphics. It seems nobody really gives a shit about them, with switch, mobile and PS4 dominating the revenue streams.

Sony need to capitalise on this imminent shift and make games, lots and lots of games, that don't push the graphical boundaries. MW2 looks like shit, but still sold a bajillion copies, likewise CS, battlefield, FIFA, street fighter, mario, Tetris...

Wake up, Sony, or become irrelevant.

I disagree about the market shrinking. Steam and PSN have more active users than ever before. Switch sold like crazy and PS5 will sell over 110 million.

The issue facing Sony is costs, prices and reasons to own a new gen console vs last gen.

Consoles and games cost too much to drive growth past PS4. But this is a Sony decision because they just announced that this gen already made more than PS4. So they CHOSE profit over growth and they are not even in every country they could be.

IF they wanted, they could shift into growth mode and be trying to capture customers from the collapsing XBox and Steam / PC.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I disagree about the market shrinking. Steam and PSN have more active users than ever before. Switch sold like crazy and PS5 will sell over 110 million.
You forgot about a console that failed miserably, where did all that people went?

Personally I think the market is healthier than ever the biggest problem is that PS4 players are not moving fast enough to PS5 and Sony is giving them very little reason to do so.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The Steam Deck is evidence handhelds can be powerful, but not *that* powerful

Food for thought:
- The original Steam Deck first reached users' hands over 2 years ago. And while that was 2 years ago, there's no piece of hardware inside the Steam Deck that couldn't have been released in 2020.

The Steam Deck is very far from the performance levels a handheld could reach today, using state-of-the-art fabrication and modern CPU/GPU architectures.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
oh yeah it doesn't need that kinda power and honestly i would doubt if it even could being a handheld. The Steam Deck is evidence handhelds can be powerful, but not *that* powerful, and beyond that Ninty prefers to work with cheaper hardware to keep the price points down. I don't see the Switch 2 as acting as a competitor to the PS5/XSX and that's fine. It just needs to be powerful enough to handle Switch tier games at 1080p 60fps.
Yeah I see it again being more of a complimentary machine to the other consoles. Nintendo fans will buy it in droves, and lots of OG Switch games will run a bit better. Games that push the boundaries like GTA6, Witcher 4 etc won't run well on it which will be where it comes up short.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
You forgot about a console that failed miserably, where did all that people went?

Personally I think the market is healthier than ever the biggest problem is that PS4 players are not moving fast enough to PS5 and Sony is giving them very little reason to do so.

and if they are thinking of transitioning, maybe PC now looks like a better option...

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Following on from the recent State of Play, there is a general unhappiness with the reveals outside of Astro releasing this September. Sony have two types of shows, the Showcase which is expected to be a heavy hitter and the State of Play which is a smaller less special show. Last night was the latter, comfortably.

It is common knowledge that a PS5 Pro is expected to be released by the end of this year. Keeping this in mind, would it be in Sony's interest to hold back and announce new titles in line with the reveal show?

I'm in the camp of waiting for the reveal show for the PS5 Pro. Rehashing everything that is already revealed will lead to complaints that the PS5 Pro show didn't have anything new to show apart from a beefier PS5. Imagine Cerny using GoT to show the capability of the PS5 Pro compared to the PS5 version and then Sucker Punch pulling the Ghost 2 out of the pocket and a section running on PS5 Pro. Considering the rage by some (me not so much) of Ass Cream Japan, that would be the time to strike and steal back Ubisoft's thunder. Perhaps I'm too optimistic.

I'd love to know what you think. Like and subscribe for more 😂😂😂

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Was this a PS state of play or a PC state of play hell you can even remove PS & say it’s a state of play

Is the only exclusive game that doesn’t release on PC really Astro Bot? A AA darling bot really? Somehow like Hermen said the port strategy is supposed to make a PC player want to get the PS console for sequels while also ANNOUNCING how ragnarok has to be the funniest shit ever. How long was that 2 years doesn’t really matter the timeframe is so short when they’re porting other games while also releasing live service on PC day 1 the wait or FOMO is non existent.

If it was for Phill horrible leadership & MS & Xbox brains dead knowledge of gaming & entertainment the PS5 generation solely wins by default but with next gen & competitors like Switch 2 & Steamdeck 2 I differ the landscape.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Following on from the recent State of Play, there is a general unhappiness with the reveals outside of Astro releasing this September. Sony have two types of shows, the Showcase which is expected to be a heavy hitter and the State of Play which is a smaller less special show. Last night was the latter, comfortably.

It is common knowledge that a PS5 Pro is expected to be released by the end of this year. Keeping this in mind, would it be in Sony's interest to hold back and announce new titles in line with the reveal show?

I'm in the camp of waiting for the reveal show for the PS5 Pro. Rehashing everything that is already revealed will lead to complaints that the PS5 Pro show didn't have anything new to show apart from a beefier PS5. Imagine Cerny using GoT to show the capability of the PS5 Pro compared to the PS5 version and then Sucker Punch pulling the Ghost 2 out of the pocket and a section running on PS5 Pro. Considering the rage by some (me not so much) of Ass Cream Japan, that would be the time to strike and steal back Ubisoft's thunder. Perhaps I'm too optimistic.

Good points, It does make me a bit more hopeful but we have been waiting so long for something really exciting.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Good points, It does make me a bit more hopeful but we have been waiting so long for something really exciting.
If the PS5 Pro appears and there is no showcase type support then I'll just take my Astro, Alien and Behemoth games and sulk for the rest of the year.

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
How so? Weren't all the games coming to PS5? Couple of them were even exclusive and/or console exclusive?

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Switch sold as well as any handheld historically has, which is between 100-150 million. Those numbers occured during the PS2 and PSwii60 era. It's safe to assume they don't impact console purchases, considering 250+ million consoles were sold in the PSwii60 gen
Last gen, PS4 sold 120+ million and Xbox 50~ million, a drop of 70 million consoles, with a handheld eating sales for the begging of that gen.

Now Xbox has sold 20~ million, the switch sold it's lion share at the end of last gen and PS5 has hit 60 million sales. That's 80 million console sales in nearly four years.
Unless something changes, PS5 won't hit 100 million.

The issue facing Sony is costs, prices and reasons to own a new gen console vs last gen.
Cost isn't an issue as much as price point is. People pay thousands for a PC, others will cheap out on old gen consoles. The problem with the PS5 isn't the price, necessarily, it's the value proposition. Where are the games for the entry price of $500?

Consoles and games cost too much to drive growth past PS4. But this is a Sony decision because they just announced that this gen already made more than PS4. So they CHOSE profit over growth and they are not even in every country they could be.
Games don't cost too much, too many resources are put into game development and creation, resources that are unnecessary.
IF they wanted, they could shift into growth mode and be trying to capture customers from the collapsing XBox and Steam / PC.
Steam/PC isn't collapsing. If you believe the media and journalists (you shouldn't as a Sony fan) PC has been collapsing for two decades (it hasn't).
Capturing Xbox fans would be easy, If Sony dropped the price of their hardware and had the games to back it up. As it is, why would people make the ecosystem jump like the did going from 360 to PS4? Sony have a hard time convincing their own customer base to jump from PS4 to PS5.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
and if they are thinking of transitioning, maybe PC now looks like a better option...
To anyone not already invested in the PlayStation system or into physical games PC will seem like the only option.

Free online, free cloud saving, more games, Steam, Steam Deck, etc.

Reactions: Diah
24 Jun 2022

But here's the rub: the PS5 Pro IS just supposed to be a beefier PS5. There is no reason to tie new game reveals to a Pro model reveal. Using already-released and revealed titles to sell the Pro, by showing how they run better on the Pro, should be enough because by now the market KNOWS what a Pro console is meant to be. It's not some new unheard-of thing like when the PS4 Pro was being revealed.

And for PS5 owners, I can understand a feeling of dishonesty in SIE withholding certain new game reveals just to upsell them a PS5 Pro, when the total amount of 1P games pushing base PS5 so far have been very, very small in number. Now think of the PS5 owners who also bought a PSVR2 and might not feel they've gotten their moneys worth out of that? See where the problem starts to kick in?

What's next, are they going to hold back even more games for a PS4 Portable reveal? To upsell current customers on yet another piece of hardware? I can't be the only one that sees shades of mid '90s SEGA here. The only reason Sony can arguably get away with similar moves is because of PS brand strength in the market combined with goodwill recovered on the back of the PS3 gen and on throughout the PS4 gen. But goodwill is not infinite.

IMO, products like a PS5 Pro should be able to sell themselves. They have an expected function and existing games can facilitate demonstrating that function sufficiently. If anything I'd say tying the reveal of new big 1P games to the PS5 Pro will give the wrong impression among the fanbase, and make them expect a regular string of new big games revealed regularly throughout the console's lifespan. And what's more, Sony already have the very real problem of most current-gen games already being on Steam. So no matter how they could demonstrate the PS5 Pro's power with improved versions of them, to a PS5 owner who also has a pretty good PC, it will never offer as good value as what the PC version of that same game could offer.

That's a problem Sony have created for themselves with their PC strategy. Now they have to deal with it.

Reactions: Diah and arvfab

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Based on this thread title and the SoP poll we are now officially a PC Gaming forum.

GGs.

0Ug3j0N.png

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
PushSquare started their Nintendo division first, so naturally they will and DO have biases against PlayStation, no matter how often they pretend they don’t.
I stopped using them as a source/visiting their website, after they got exposed on N4G years ago. So EFF them!
They are always the first to spin good news into bad, report the bad news as some Mankind ending apocalyptic event, or post pure click bait.

Also, Sammy is a creepy dude, stalking Korean influencers, models, etc. So, he can go kick rocks and never come back to PS.
100% they are biased against Playstation, but keep hiding over the name. just look what owns them.

Reactions: Johnic

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The article in the op points out several times that it is late era PS3 and PS4 era games and fans that built the brand but thats bullshit, its PS1 and 2 that did that.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I will be happy with the state of Playstation when they announce something with Ape Escape/Gravity Rush/Freedom Wars
Bloodborne is also acceptable

Breath of the Wild has framerate drops in Kokiri Forest and Kakariko Village
Xenoblade 2 looks like shit and renders at a sub-par resolution, and frankly the idea of Xenoblade Chronicles X ever getting ported to Switch is a monkey's paw because that game will not look or run that great on it when it is the prettiest Xenoblade game. The Switch 2 doesn't need to be on par with PS5/XSX, but by golly I would hope it gets enough of a power boost to run these games at 1080p 60fps.
Yeah if you're on PC you can emulate but like, what if you're gaming on the go or prefer playing on Switch over PC?
Xenoblade 2 looks like a PS2 game because it had a PS2 game sized dev team. Meanwhile Xenoblade 3 is probably the single best looking game on Switch.

Not that it matters, I'd much rather have a game with "bad graphics" than a game that takes 8 years to make gets its studio shut down because it can't reach 10 million in sales.

Or, in other words, graphics only matter in as much as they effect gameplay and vibes. I'd gladly take a single Xenoblade 2 over ten Hellblade 2s, but due to resource commitments I'll be quadruple winning with four XB2s for every Hellblade.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Xenoblade 2 looks like a PS2 game because it had a PS2 game sized dev team.
you have not played a ps2 game in several years if you think xenoblade 2 looks like a ps2 game
Xenoblade 2's models, textures, etc are all fine. The game just runs at too low a resolution and needs some AA is all. All things a hardware power boost can solve

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
you have not played a ps2 game in several years if you think xenoblade 2 looks like a ps2 game
Xenoblade 2's models, textures, etc are all fine. The game just runs at too low a resolution and needs some AA is all. All things a hardware power boost can solve
You need to take another look at the character models, they are full of jaggies. The world looks a lot better though and they can brute force things like draw distance that the PS2 never could. But no, I stand by the comparison in regards to character models.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Since I'm not stupid I refuse to buy any multiplayer game on PlayStation and will not be buying a PS6 at all if it doesn't have free online, free cloud savings and physical media. It's not a matter of money it's a matter of having principles and not being a servile bitch.
Yep, I saw this comment on an article about Sony bending the knee to PC players about PSN log in, and its 100% true. Idk how anyone in the know can still be pleased with PlayStation this generation. And if you are, you're more of a corporate slave than a real fan of gaming. Glad I cancelled my PS Plus last year

image.png