PC Port of Spiderman 2 being developed by community and it's far along. The damage of leaks! Build complete.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
This unofficial pc port dispels the myth that Nixxes does all the PC work. Most of the work is being done by the actual 1st party studios, they just do a bit of optimizing. Which explains why SM2 looks worse than SM2018 and SM Miles Morales.
PC ports are actively hurting first party studios development, just like those of us with a clue predicted.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Thats cap, it absolutely will. How can it not? There's hundreds of videos posted just in the last few days about it.
It doesn't matter.
Real customers are not interested in broken pirated version that's difficult to acquire.
besides, there are full playthroughs on yt of the real deal. Nobody cares about this broken crap

Reactions: Systemshock2023

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
It doesn't matter.
Real customers are not interested in broken pirated version that's difficult to acquire.
besides, there are full playthroughs on yt of the real deal. Nobody cares about this broken crap
its not broken, its fully playable with very little hiccups

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I really doubt this is going to have any meaningful impact on sales, most people won't even be aware of it.

Also rotif you can't talk about crappy Marvel games when you've been talking up Forspoken for the past year ffs.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
This unofficial pc port dispels the myth that Nixxes does all the PC work. Most of the work is being done by the actual 1st party studios, they just do a bit of optimizing. Horrible acquisition and explains why SM2 looks worse than SM2018 and SM Miles Morales.
This was always going to be the case, the moment every studio knows they'll be releasing PC ports in the future they'll then start focusing on the PC version from the start.

Coincidentally since this thing started new game releases and announcement completely dried up and development seems to stop to crawl. Almost as if being on of the few publishers developing exclusive to a single hardware was giving Sony a massive advantage in the past.

Now Sony is pretty much just some other third publisher like EA, Ubi, MS, etc, that doesn't stand out.

I really doubt this is going to have any meaningful impact on sales, most people won't even be aware of it.

Also rotif you can't talk about crappy Marvel games when you've been talking up Forspoken for the past year ffs.
Sure the game would still be piratable day one anyway so I guess it really doesn't make much of a difference. Knowing that SM2 is already somewhat available on PC will definitely help some people to decide not to get a PS5 tho.

Spider-man 2 is probably Sony most popular release this gen and a PC version was made public almost alongside the release of the game.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

We shall see. I still think Spidey will sell well though.

Reactions: Hezekiah
24 Jun 2022
this will have absolutely no effect on game sales

Piracy always affects game sales.

This unofficial pc port dispels the myth that Nixxes does all the PC work. Most of the work is being done by the actual 1st party studios, they just do a bit of optimizing. Horrible acquisition and explains why SM2 looks worse than SM2018 and SM Miles Morales.

Could also explain why some of the port costs in the Insomniac leak look so low: the costs on that end are only what's attributed directly to Nixxes, whereas the full costs of the PC version are baked into the projected game budget itself as the PlayStation version of the game's being worked on.

The Wolverine leak would further support your claim that the 1P studios themselves are doing the lion's share of the work on the PC version (which also means longer dev cycles, meaning the console owners have to wait longer to even get the game), and therefore hidden costs for the PC version are baked into the main budget.

Which would make the meager amounts for the ports listed in the leaks make sense; those are the costs attributed to Nixxes, but are only a portion of the costs for the PC versions. The majority of the costs aren't actually reflected in the leaked numbers but would be difficult to abstract from the total budgets that have been leaked.

This was always going to be the case, the moment every studio knows they'll be releasing PC ports in the future they'll then start focusing on the PC version from the start.

Coincidentally since this thing started new game releases and announcement completely dried up and development seems to stop to crawl. Almost as if being on of the few publishers developing exclusive to a single hardware was giving Sony a massive advantage in the past.

Now Sony is pretty much just some other third publisher like EA, Ubi, MS, etc, that doesn't stand out.

Naughty Dog's statements on "adjusting their pipeline" for PC co-development also supports the idea that they (and other 1P studios) would be working on PC versions of these games from early on in the development cycle. And as you say, that has slowed down overall development, even if they pass on light PC duties to Nixxes at a late date.

Ideally if they were considering PC versions of these 1P games (specifically non-GAAS ones), you'd think they wouldn't even enter PC development until after the PS version is completed, has gone gold, and has released. That doesn't seem to be the case though. And, that also introduces a ton of other issues, like if the console/PC co-development strategy affects game scope and ambition, affects technical polish at release, etc.

Basically many of the same problems Microsoft has with doing simultaneous Series S & X builds of their own games, alongside PC. The lowest spec in any supported device network is always going to be what determines aspects of game scope, potentially negatively.

Sure the game would still be piratable day one anyway so I guess it really doesn't make much of a difference. Knowing that SM2 is already somewhat available on PC will definitely help some people to decide not to get a PS5 tho.

Absolutely. And that's ironic since the strategy with PC was (or should've been) to offer only a small selection of 1P titles to entice those owners to consider getting a PlayStation console.

This idea that PC gamers are rigidly locked to the platform is complete bullshit, because MANY of them were once console gamers, or still have a side console alongside their PC for gaming. We've seen legions of PC gamers switch to console and even mobile in the past. Only a very small fraction of PC gamers are completely locked in to that platform; others will at least expand their range to other devices if those other platforms offer enough good reasons.

Giving away all but a handful of your exclusives/content differentiators to PC only halfway through the generation is not the way to convince those gamers, SIE.

Spider-man 2 is probably Sony most popular release this gen and a PC version was made public almost alongside the release of the game.

In a technical sense, yeah. Meaning now the number of 1P games still exclusive to the console so far this gen are:

-Astro's Playroom
-GT7
-Demon's Souls Remake
-GOW Ragnarok
-Destruction AllStars

Literally countable on one hand. And one of those is basically a dead game that bombed at launch (AllStars).

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Could also explain why some of the port costs in the Insomniac leak look so low: the costs on that end are only what's attributed directly to Nixxes, whereas the full costs of the PC version are baked into the projected game budget itself as the PlayStation version of the game's being worked on.
I pointed this earlier Sony leadership is always trying to justify their own move by fudging the numbers. They are always contradicting themselves, so porting a game to PC is extremely cheap and easy yet patching a game for PS5 is hard and impossible? It doesn't make any sense. The AAA single player releases pretty much all flopped on PC specially if compared to how well they sold on PlayStation.

And that's ironic since the strategy with PC was (or should've been) to offer only a small selection of 1P titles to entice those owners to consider getting a PlayStation console.
That narrative was just always bullshit. Sony misread the console market just like they misread the portable market years ago. They got into their heads that AAA single player games were on the way out and PC/mobile/GaaS (same mistake many other publisher had made some years prior).

For some reason Sony is completely incapable of recognizing their advantageous position and how good they have and are dead set on becoming just another failed big publisher.

I'm just some random dude, but to me it's clear that Sony is completely fucking themselves long term and have no idea about what they are doing. This stuff is not that hard to predict, from day on I knew that Xbox releasing all their games on PC and putting all their focus on gamepass was a terrible idea, I could see that Nintendo unifying their development effort on a single platform was a great idea, I called that Sony completely giving up on the portable space was a massive mistake.

What is funny is that the PC boom is already over, their biggest single player IPs have already landed on PC and all those games combined made less money than Days Gone on PS4. A game Sony deemed unworthy of a sequel.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

The Wolverine leak would further support your claim that the 1P studios themselves are doing the lion's share of the work on the PC version (which also means longer dev cycles, meaning the console owners have to wait longer to even get the game), and therefore hidden costs for the PC version are baked into the main budget.

Which would make the meager amounts for the ports listed in the leaks make sense; those are the costs attributed to Nixxes, but are only a portion of the costs for the PC versions. The majority of the costs aren't actually reflected in the leaked numbers but would be difficult to abstract from the total budgets that have been leaked.

Naughty Dog's statements on "adjusting their pipeline" for PC co-development also supports the idea that they (and other 1P studios) would be working on PC versions of these games from early on in the development cycle. And as you say, that has slowed down overall development, even if they pass on light PC duties to Nixxes at a late date.

Ideally if they were considering PC versions of these 1P games (specifically non-GAAS ones), you'd think they wouldn't even enter PC development until after the PS version is completed, has gone gold, and has released. That doesn't seem to be the case though. And, that also introduces a ton of other issues, like if the console/PC co-development strategy affects game scope and ambition, affects technical polish at release, etc.

Basically many of the same problems Microsoft has with doing simultaneous Series S & X builds of their own games, alongside PC. The lowest spec in any supported device network is always going to be what determines aspects of game scope, potentially negatively.
They look so low because a port costs like this for big games running on custom engines. And they are probably even including the marketing budget for the PC port there.

Once Nixxes adapted an engine, in future games they only have to port part of the new code for the engine that may have been added or changed since the previous game, implement the KBM controls if aren't already implemented, add widescreen support fixing any possible issue, to support for the latest GPU specific things like super sampling methods they may want to add, implement some scalability stuff and related settings, fixing the UI/HUD/cutscenes on weird resolutions, plus overall testing, tweaks and bugfixing.

Consoles nowadays are pretty much PCs, and nowadays pretty much all the development of a console game is made and tested on a PC (only the final part is required to use devkits and tests kits, to ensure performance, very console specific stuff like trophies or tech stuff and bugfixing), there isn't a lot of things to change once the engine already supports PC. Just a few folks working during a few months are needed to port it.

They said that bought Nixxes and work with Iron Galaxy or Jetpak to do that PC porting job, so lead studios like Insomniac, ND and Guerrilla can focus on making games for PS and don't need to worry about the ports.

People from Insomniac etc. are only required to send them the material and overview the job, plus maybe to reply some specific tech question or help with some very specific couple of complex tech engine related things they may have added to the engine for that game.

There's no "secret lion porting work" in the side of Insomniac, and if it would exist it would be included in the budget of the ports, which isn't the case.

In a technical sense, yeah. Meaning now the number of 1P games still exclusive to the console so far this gen are:

-Astro's Playroom
-GT7
-Demon's Souls Remake
-GOW Ragnarok
-Destruction AllStars
You forgot:
-MLB 21, 22, 23, 24
-Horizon CoM
-Firewall Ultra
-Spider-Man 2
-Rise of the Ronin

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: arvfab

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

Yeah but it will be a small number of gamers who weren't going to buy the game anyway. There are people out there who are full-time pirates, or they might buy games from one of those dodgy sites for a few quid.

Overall though I'd say Spiderman 2 (alongside GoW Ragnarok and GT7, and now Helldivers) which are guaranteed sellers on PC.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yeah but it will be a small number of gamers who weren't going to buy the game anyway. There are people out there who are full-time pirates, or they might buy games from one of those dodgy sites for a few quid.

Overall though I'd say Spiderman 2 (alongside GoW Ragnarok and GT7, and now Helldivers) which are guaranteed sellers on PC.
That is complete bullshit, I'm tired of discussing the obvious. The same people that pirated music and movies are the ones buying game. There isn't clear distinction between pirates and non-pirates like people like to pretend.

You think a free version of a game being one click away won't impact game sales? Did you live in a world where people refused to pirate music and movies out of principle? No, piracy massively devalued and impacted those type of media and shaped their current business models. Go to any pirate board and you'll see people mad about Denuvo and many saying that they gave up waiting and bought the game.

Do you think that if there was a technology for a movie studio to make a movie unpiratable and charge a premium for it they wouldn't jump at the opportunity to do so? That is the only reason why Cinemas still exists despite all the pressure from digital distribution (that includes piracy and cheap streaming services) to kill them.

Reactions: J_Paganel

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

I mean it’s a different game but has some similar characteristics. Like fantastic traversal and combat. But other than that forspoken is thankfully fully original :p

Reactions: Hezekiah

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
That is complete bullshit, I'm tired of discussing the obvious. The same people that pirated music and movies are the ones buying game. There isn't clear distinction between pirates and non-pirates like people like to pretend.

You think a free version of a game being one click away won't impact game sales? Did you live in a world where people refused to pirate music and movies out of principle? No, piracy massively devalued and impacted those type of media and shaped their current business models. Go to any pirate board and you'll see people mad about Denuvo and many saying that they gave up waiting and bought the game.

Do you think that if there was a technology for a movie studio to make a movie unpiratable and charge a premium for it they wouldn't jump at the opportunity to do so? That is the only reason why Cinemas still exists despite all the pressure from digital distribution (that includes piracy and cheap streaming services) to kill them.
What the fuck, are you having a meltdown?

Some people will always pirate games. I've met people who do this constantly. I don't care if you think otherwise, or if "you're tired of discussing the obvious" 👶. It is what it is, many people who pirate will make up excuses for why they pirate but it's very rarely a one-time behaviour.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I mean it’s a different game but has some similar characteristics. Like fantastic traversal and combat. But other than that forspoken is thankfully fully original :p
Square should hire you, same way Santa Monica hired Alanah Pearce 😛

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What the fuck, are you having a meltdown?

Some people will always pirate games. I've met people who do this constantly. I don't care if you think otherwise, or if "you're tired of discussing the obvious" 👶. It is what it is, many people who pirate will make up excuses for why they pirate but it's very rarely a one-time behaviour.
So what? So you just keep allowing them to pirate? Ridiculous, block that shit and most of them will buy the game like they always do, gamers have shown again and again that they have no self restrain, pirates are the same way.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
So what? So you just keep allowing them to pirate? Ridiculous, block that shit and most of them will buy the game like they always do, gamers have shown again and again that they have no self restrain, pirates are the same way.
I'm not saying let them pirate.

But the leak is the leak, and Sony seems committed to it's PC strategy in the short to medium term. I'm sure they will course correct if they deem it necessary. In the meantime maybe let them worry about it 🤷