PC sales of PlayStation games

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yea okay over 2 million for a god of war 2018 5 years after the fact is fantastic. Dude’s acting like a port that takes one month to get running is the same as a freshly developed game with a full budget.

Easy money. Great numbers
If you think it takes one month to port a game, even one with an engine designed for PC, you need to touch grass.

Where is this happening? Ps5 is doing record hardware sales. So no.
Where did I say it wasn't?

Let me make this very simple where even a 5 year old can understand
  • Sony keeping games on their platform allows them to fully focus on their platform
  • The more people use their platform, and the longer they use it, the more entrenched they will be in their offering
  • Porting games to PC not only has them focus on multiple platforms, which impacts game quality, but also allows some people to fully move away from Sony's platform]
  • This means less money from sales, less money from mtx, as fewer people are incentivised to join their platform
It's a snowball effect. You won't see the effects immediately, but Sony missing their HW targets even with discounts should at least sound some alarm bells.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What did they give up? No they did not “give up” software sales on PlayStation hardware. There is nothing to prove that. You have both record setting sales for both God of War IP and PS5 hardware right now.

It’s no surprise that these games will get ported by the time they’re featured of ps extra…. Retail run exhausted.
Things they gave up:
- 30% to Valve.
- PlayStation games being exclusive and pushing PS5 sales
- Advantage of making games that only needed to run on PlayStation.
- Time and money transition their studios from developing only for PlayStation to making and supporting PC games.
- Their games becoming exposed to piracy once released on PC and cracked day 1.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Yea okay over 2 million for a god of war 2018 5 years after the fact is fantastic. Dude’s acting like a port that takes one month to get running is the same as a freshly developed game with a full budget.

Easy money. Great numbers
Extremely big ROI without losing momentum on the mainline sales front.

I swear some people have no clue wtf they're talking about.

Reactions: Yurinka

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What a surprise. Yet PC players will demand more. You people can;t even break 2 million on these, why would you expect more games?
They expect it because Sony continues to do it.

Here comes Horizon Forbidden West.

• angry
Reactions: Diah

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
@Yurinka wtf dude?

I thought you were always right?!
xD

I'm often are. Regarding these sales (until february aprox) they are in line with my estimates (aprox. Steam user reviews x 25) with the exception of Horizon, which sold way more than this estimation method indicates.

What a surprise. Yet PC players will demand more. You people can;t even break 2 million on these, why would you expect more games?
Yes, PC players will demand more Spider-Man Remastered because that 1.3M tracked is only its first around 6 months and the game will continue selling for years. Doing the Steam reviews x 25 method, Spider-Man is now at aprox. 2.1M+.

It's normal to expect more games because these pc ports generate hundreds of millions of profit to Sony.

As an example, the Spider-Man Remastered PC port generated enough revenue to fund the Spider-Man Remastered project (dev. costs leaked in other image), its pc port (should be under a couple millions) and provided profit.

This list stops after the absolute flop of Sackboy and likely doesn't include the string of back to back flops of Ratchet PC/Returnal PC/TLOU PC etc.
The list doesn't include Ratchet/Returnal/TLOU PC because it's from february and these 3 ports were released later (March and summer).

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Like I said.

After GoW only Spider-man sold ok in PC.
Everything else failed miserably and that includes TLOU PC.

TLoU PC could've sold decently, but that release was clearly forced out in a state that was clearly not fit for release in order to "capitalize" on the HBO show momentum. That was a really dumb move by some suits, because not only did it tank the sales of that game but will affect the sales potential of Part II when it eventually releases.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm often are. Regarding these sales (until february aprox) they are in line with my estimates (aprox. Steam user reviews x 25) with the exception of Horizon, which sold way more than this estimation method indicates.

Often:
  • Wrong about the Nvidia leak
  • Wrong about TLOU Online being in dev hell (and then cancelled)
  • Wrong about sales
Yes, PC players will demand more Spider-Man Remastered because that 1.3M tracked is only its first around 6 months and the game will continue selling for years. Doing the Steam reviews x 25 method, Spider-Man is now at aprox. 2.1M+.

That metric is flawed. I'm pretty sure I quoted this before.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
TLoU PC could've sold decently, but that release was clearly forced out in a state that was clearly not fit for release in order to "capitalize" on the HBO show momentum. That was a really dumb move by some suits, because not only did it tank the sales of that game but will affect the sales potential of Part II when it eventually releases.
Spider-Man did 1.3M in around 6 months (Feb), 1.5M in 7 and a half months (end of March). Now, 16 months after launch it has 85.3K user reviews (with the x25 method gives an estimate of 2.1M)

TLOU has around 45.7K user reviews:

Doing the reviews x 25, it gives an estimation sales for TLOU of aprox. 1.1M in 8-9 months. Spider-Man had 10 discounts, TLOU had 4. TLOU is performing under Spider-Man numbers, but is doing well.

Because as mentioned in the leaked graph from February, Spider-Man performed better in its first half a year than Horizon, DG, GoW, which they have legs (so pretty likely Spider-Man and TLOU will have legs too).

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
In what world is 10M in free game sales (on avg 2 years late) bad news? The PC initiative paid for Insomniac.