Phil Spencer admits defeat in console space, and doesn't think great games would help Xbox's market share.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
So graphics, world design, sound design, are subjective, but scores (the same ones that put Halo Infinite in the high 80s) are objective? Good to know. Halo Infinite is objectively pretty much as good as HFW. Zelda BOTW is objectively better than GoW:R

Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

Cool.
You are the one saying what is and what isn't subjective. Don't drag me into this.

You just seem pretty salty that a game being well made on technical aspects doesn't necessary translate in it being superior to other games.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Precisely. There are objective and subjective measures of quality.
What is objective better just happens to coincide with your opinion right? :LOL:

So boring, just get over Horizon not being the most inspired IP.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What is objective better just happens to coincide with your opinion right? :LOL:

So boring, just get over Horizon not being the most inspired IP.

I'm not sure I'm making myself clear here:

"Well, Elden Ring is still a much better game despite it's flaws. No need to shit make it about HFW vs Elden Ring."

Much better game by what measure? Objectively, it's not, it simply isn't. We can list here every single thing that can be objectively measured when reviewing a game and I'd be very doubtful ER scores above in any of those things. It's just how it is. Subjectively, you can like it as much as you'd like, the same way I can say it's a boring ass game, like all souls games.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'm not sure I'm making myself clear here:

"Well, Elden Ring is still a much better game despite it's flaws. No need to shit make it about HFW vs Elden Ring."

Much better game by what measure? Objectively, it's not, it simply isn't. We can list here every single thing that can be objectively measured when reviewing a game and I'd be very doubtful ER scores above in any of those things. It's just how it is. Subjectively, you can like it as much as you'd like, the same way I can say it's a boring ass game, like all souls games.
Again, you are the one that chose to compare FHW to Elden Ring and as stated before I'm not about to waste my time trying to convince you. You are free to believe whatever you want.

Please, continue to waste your time trying to convince people of what game is objectively better than the other.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Again, you are the one that chose to compare FHW to Elden Ring and as stated before I'm not about to waste my time trying to convince you. You are free to believe whatever you want.

(y) we can agree to disagree.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
A game quality is not measured by each individual part like that while disregarding other aspects, including gameplay. There is absolutely nothing objective about you thinking Horizon FW is the better game, it's absurd that you would even say that. If anything by more "objective" metrics, like being critically acclaimed and more renowned, then Elden Ring is the "objectively" superior game by a mile.

ER is far from being the best Souls game, at least for me. Just like HFW is far from being anywhere close to being Sony's best game. This obcession about pitting HFW vs Elden Ring does HFW no favors, just like comparing the original Horizon to BoTW didn't help it as well.

If you think that HFW is better than Elden Ring, fine, I'm not interested in trying to convince you.
platinumed both, played over 100h both.

Horizon way better game in almost all departments except few.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
As the Joker said in The Dark Knight: "Very poor choice of words"

Yeah, you don't win the console race with a single game. But how about releasing quality games every single year? A big game can be the turning point just like Uncharted 2 was for Sony on the 7th gen. What irks me the most about everything that Spencer said was the part where he said something along "We had mock reviews where Redfall scored 10 points more than current MC" MC was in the mid 60s I believe so...are you fine with releasing a game with MC score in the 70s????? Specially after you showed it left and right as your tentpole Xbox game???? Also charging 70 USD for it? Just change 30 USD and disguise it as Early Access. But they can't do that after they showed it as their showstopper.

AAA 1st party games should aim for nothing but the highest quality. Third parties, Indies and AA may release mediocre games. I don't like everything Sony releases these days but can't deny that their games have polish and mass appeal. They are the platform holders, their standards should be higher than any other studios. And they deliver on that premise.

Also, Arkane is clearly not in the zone... Deathloop was already mediocre. Spencer should have released Redfall as multiplat to lessen the blow if they knew it was going to be terrible
I knew this game was already going to bomb at its first reveal. Really, another run of the mill looter shooter? They should have released a Deus Ex remake. That's how you do it.

Regarding what he said about "outconsoling" Sony and Nintendo. How about at least getting close to their sales? Don't tell me there's no place for 350M consoles sold every generation between the big 3.
The bottom line is that there's clearly a lack of patience at Microsoft HQ. They don't want to put in the work to turn things around like Sony did with the PS3, they want results fast.

Wondering if Phil's job is more on the line than we realized, and thinking this may validate previous reports that MS was strongly considering divesting the brand. That would explain the rapid transition to Game Pass, as well as the unprecedented drive to buy up huge chunks of the industry just to have fresh content for it.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The bottom line is that there's clearly a lack of patience at Microsoft HQ. They don't want to put in the work to turn things around like Sony did with the PS3, they want results fast.

Wondering if Phil's job is more on the line than we realized, and thinking this may validate previous reports that MS was strongly considering divesting the brand. That would explain the rapid transition to Game Pass, as well as the unprecedented drive to buy up huge chunks of the industry just to have fresh content for it.
A lack of patience when they’ve lost tens of billions of dollars over the span of 23 years?

Really?

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I can't wait for Starfield to come in hot after so many great games we already had this year and now Zelda TotK and then Final Fantasy XVI, BG3 and Spider-man 2.

If it doesn't review as well as Zelda that whole talk about 11/10 is going to look extremely silly.

A lack of patience when they’ve lost tens of billions of dollars over the span of 23 years?

Really?
They keep pivoting from one thing to another (Gold, Kinect, GaaS, PC, Gamepass, xCloud and so on), it's pretty clear that all along their only concern was to find a shortcut to position themselves as the substitute to PlayStation, whenever they find minimal success they milk it to death and inevitably get stuck in the same place.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Phil is as donezo as this deal. This was Xbox's last shot. They're on their way to becoming a 3rd party, serving Sony Playstation users with a smile on their face.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
One thing I’ve realized with this generation is MS had tried to short cut everything. Shortcut to market share with the series S, shortcut to relevancy with paid online shills promoting gamepass, shortcut to games with acquisitions. There may be a few I’m missing but So far none of these things have really worked out or had any staying power. I know it’s cliche but maybe it really is true, there are not any short cuts to life or however the saying goes.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
One thing I’ve realized with this generation is MS had tried to short cut everything. Shortcut to market share with the series S, shortcut to relevancy with paid online shills promoting gamepass, shortcut to games with acquisitions. There may be a few I’m missing but So far none of these things have really worked out or had any staying power. I know it’s cliche but maybe it really is true, there are not any short cuts to life or however the saying goes.
They focused on everything besides the games.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Wasn't the Series launch also the first in history without a proper launch game, since all of their games use Smart Delivery? It's crazy how they try to gain market share with any possible means but games.
It was SUPPOSED to launch with Halo: Infinite, but they fucked that up royally. Microsoft actually had to pay tens of millions in penalties to the Rockstar energy drink company due to an advertising tie-in with the game’s release being fucked sideways by Microsoft totally shitting the bed.