Phil Spencer admits defeat in console space, and doesn't think great games would help Xbox's market share.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Ghostwire: Tokyo - (worse version by far and released later) 82 Xbox | 78 PC | 75 PS5
Minecraft Legends - 71 Xbox | 67 PC | (not enough reviews) PS5
The Last Case of Benedict Fox - 69 Xbox | 60 PC
Ravenlok - 68 Xbox | 60 PC
Redfall - 59 Xbox | 56 PC

What is it with games on Xbox consistently scoring more than on other platforms? It's almost as if the bar is lower because of Gamepass...

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Minecraft Legends - 71 Xbox | 67 PC

What is it with games on Xbox consistently scoring more than on other platforms? It's almost as if the bar is lower because of Gamepass...
They have more shills. Have you seen the sites that review this? They have xbox in their name a lot of their time. It's like they're making sites up just to pat the score. XboxEra, XboxSite, XboxFan, TrueXbox etc.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They have more shills. Have you seen the sites that review this? They have xbox in their name a lot of their time. It's like they're making sites up just to pat the score. XboxEra, XboxSite, XboxFan, TrueXbox etc.
I notice that, seems pretty biased to me. Knowing MS they are not above manipulating such system to try to increase their score instead of increasing them by just making better games.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Ghostwire: Tokyo - (worse version by far and released later) 82 Xbox | 78 PC | 75 PS5

A lot of it has to do with a number of Xbox fan sites getting themselves onto Metacritic's list. They almost always inflate the scores.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023

Xbox versions usally have less reviews so it stays higher.

Also green rats created bunch of sites to inflate scores.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Fewer websites review the Xbox version of games, making the score average easier to increase when something like Xbox era gives a game a 10/10.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Probably the reviewers who ask to review the Xbox version are Xbox/MS hardcore fans. And MS is the publisher, so maybe the reviewers get intimidated to give them a lower score in their platform.

In any case, it's worth mentioning that these reviews aren't good enough and that MS has to highly improve the quality of their 1st party games and console exclusives, even the indie ones.

It's understandable to be patient and give them some years to adress it, but I think Phil Spencer, Matt Booty and whoever they have in charge of their deals with indies had been enough time there and proven that they aren't capable to improve their things. So should be replaced unless their plan is to kill the Xbox brand.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I'm seeing articles from all over with a variation of the headline that Xbox has lost the console war according to its chief. I cannot emphasise this enough: this is the worst interview by a gaming industry figure ever. He's signed Xbox's death warrant. No one reading those headlines or those articles is going to want to buy a console the person in charge of selling them has no confidence in.

Sales will crater even further, Starfield looks set to flop, and with the CMA and savvy regulators blocking MS from anticompetitive acquisitions, Microsoft can't even throw Xbox a lifesaver.

Love this outcome - they were too fucking arrogant. I just hope posters like sleepy stick around so we can rub their noses in it for eternity.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why should they be mad? They managed to get FFXIII and FFXV on Xbox, but they sold like shit on their platforms and coincidentally, they are both often seen as the worst entries by FF fans.

And regarding SF5, if it wasn't for Sony funding it and making the IP relevant again, SF6 probably wouldn't exist.
SF6 is coming out in less than 1 month and I'm dying to see the software split. After all these years of crying, we'll see if they put their money where their mouth is.

I'm seeing articles from all over with a variation of the headline that Xbox has lost the console war according to its chief. I cannot emphasise this enough: this is the worst interview by a gaming industry figure ever. He's signed Xbox's death warrant. No one reading those headlines or those articles is going to want to buy a console the person in charge of selling them has no confidence in.

Sales will crater even further, Starfield looks set to flop, and with the CMA and savvy regulators blocking MS from anticompetitive acquisitions, Microsoft can't even throw Xbox a lifesaver.

Love this outcome - they were too fucking arrogant. I just hope posters like sleepy stick around so we can rub their noses in it for eternity.
This is like the "we believe in generations" quote where nobody bothered to read the whole article and took whatever xbox warriors were saying about it. We can use this Phil Spencer quote forever and add any meaning we want.

• fire
Reactions: arvfab and Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

The funny thing is, if the conspiracy theory that he went out there to portray xbox as weak to appeal to regulators is true, they'll still block the deal and xbox will be tanked for nothing lmao

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
What level of cult indoctrination is this? Surely this person is paid to do this?

Reactions: LED

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

It is clear that those of us who said that the interview was laying the groundwork for Microsoft killing off the Xbox were correct.

Phil was preparing the faithful for the formal announcement of the hardware being discontinued. I can’t wait to see what idiocy Senjutsu Sage, Welfare and AdamsApple come up with at that time!

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
SF6 is coming out in less than 1 month and I'm dying to see the software split. After all these years of crying, we'll see if they put their money where their mouth is.
SF6 will release in PS4 but not in XBO (like RE4R). Also, it got betas in PS5 but not in Xbox. Its demo was available a few days before in PS, and Sony has its marketing deal.

And well, there are many fighting games only available in PS4/PS5 while Xbox only had Killer Instinct, so most fighting games are on Sony's side.

The difference will be big.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It is clear that those of us who said that the interview was laying the groundwork for Microsoft killing off the Xbox were correct.

Phil was preparing the faithful for the formal announcement of the hardware being discontinued. I can’t wait to see what idiocy Senjutsu Sage, Welfare and AdamsApple come up with at that time!
Speaking of, I have just the tweet for you.

I don’t think this means what he thinks this means. What I mean by that is that Xbox as a platform is so dead that when a game that has barely any players (ok a maybe a few million checking it out for morbid curiosity’s sake) can shoot up to the top of the play charts. To me this says there are not that many people playing the other games. Perhaps there is a core Xbox constituency that plays the new game all at the same time skewing the numbers to make it look like a huge hit when in reality no one else is really playing the other games.

I’m basing this off of the number of steam players, which is abysmal. I find it hard to believe that steam and Xbox fans wouldn’t have huge over lap in preferences or be so divergent one game could be a roaring success on one and a complete bomb on the other.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Speaking of, I have just the tweet for you.

I don’t think this means what he thinks this means. What I mean by that is that Xbox as a platform is so dead that when a game that has barely any players (ok a maybe a few million checking it out for morbid curiosity’s sake) can shoot up to the top of the play charts. To me this says there are not that many people playing the other games. Perhaps there is a core Xbox constituency that plays the new game all at the same time skewing the numbers to make it look like a huge hit when in reality no one else is really playing the other games.

I’m basing this off of the number of steam players, which is abysmal. I find it hard to believe that steam and Xbox fans wouldn’t have huge over lap in preferences or be so divergent one game could be a roaring success on one and a complete bomb on the other.

Saturday night on the week of release and there's only 1.1k playing on Steam. I've never seen something like this for an AAA from a major publisher. Ghostwire was 14k and Deathloop 20k.

Remember when Harvey Smith said Redfall could become Arkane's biggest game?

Screenshot_20230506_213306_Samsung Internet.jpg
Boston Celtics Lol GIF by NBA