PlayStation moving Hard into Cloud gaming

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's worse than I thought. PlayStation strategy is to completely imitate what Phil Spencer did to Xbox. Jimbo must be a big Phil Spencer fan.

If their cloud solution works than it becomes even easier to not have a PlayStation at all. I'm already changing my stance on buying a PS5 Pro and might ditch the PS5 ecosystem entirely after FFVII Rebirth gets released if they don't announce a lot of new exciting games by then.

For half the price of a PS5 you can buy a GPU that smokes it, what is the actual incentive to restrict yourself to PlayStation ecosystem?

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's worse than I thought. PlayStation strategy is to completely imitate what Phil Spencer did to Xbox. Jimbo must be a big Phil Spencer fan.

If their cloud solution works than it becomes even easier to not have a PlayStation at all. I'm already changing my stance on buying a PS5 Pro and might ditch the PS5 ecosystem entirely after FFVII Rebirth gets released if they don't announce a lot of new exciting games by then.

For half the price of my PS5 you can buy a GPU that smokes it, what is the actual incentive to restrict yourself to PlayStation ecosystem?

Yep. Seems like the Playstation as we knew it for close to 30 years is dead and buried. I get that brands need to evolve and the product needs to adjust, but Jim is really killing the brand we knew and turning it into something else. Of course some may like this, but me, as a consumer, cannot endorse it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yep. Seems like the Playstation as we knew it for close to 30 years is dead and buried. I get that brands need to evolve and the product needs to adjust, but Jim is really killing the brand we knew and turning it into something else. Of course some may like this, but me, as a consumer, cannot endorse it.
I'm half way out already. Right now physical media and PS+ is what justify owning a PS5.

I might change my mind once they announce some new games but after 2 years of not much being announced I'm running out of patience and it just feel like the PlayStation I liked doesn't exist anymore.

That's where the market's moving. With Mark Cerny behind the wheel, they can do well here.

I don't care about cloud but they need to get competitive there.

I just hope it doesn't impact their traditional gaming too much.

And here come the doomers...
That's where they think or want the market to move to. Pretty much all cloud gaming services are a massive flops.

Enjoy playing your games over the cloud and games made to please cloud players. Cloud players will likely be even more deranged than the average mobile players. :LOL:

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

For half the price of a PS5 you can buy a GPU that smokes it, what is the actual incentive to restrict yourself to PlayStation ecosystem?

Stop being a drama queen, we all know you are not leaving the PlayStation echo system.

Also this isn't an airport, you don't need to announce ur departure

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I'm half way out already. Right now physical media and PS+ is what justify owning a PS5.

I might change my mind once they announce some new games but after 2 years of not much being announced I'm running out of patience and it just feel like the PlayStation I liked doesn't exist anymore.

That's where they think or want the market to move to. Pretty much all cloud gaming services are a massive flops.

Enjoy playing your games over the cloud and games made to please cloud players. Cloud players will likely be even more deranged than the average mobile players. :LOL:
Why did I not get a notification of you quoting me? Strange.

Anyway, you gotta remember that Sony's not new to cloud gaming. In fact, they've been doing it before Xbox. This is investing in that infrastructure. Sony has always invested in future tech. Just look at the PSVR2. They've always kept up with the times.

As long as I can just buy my games and play them locally, it's good. And I honestly don't think Sony will replace traditional gaming with cloud. It;s what MS wants since they can;t sell hardware. As long as it's optional, keeping up with the times is fine.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Why did I not get a notification of you quoting me? Strange.

Anyway, you gotta remember that Sony's not new to cloud gaming. In fact, they've been doing it before Xbox. This is investing in that infrastructure. Sony has always invested in future tech. Just look at the PSVR2. They've always kept up with the times.

As long as I can just buy my games and play them locally, it's good. And I honestly don't think Sony will replace traditional gaming with cloud. It;s what MS wants since they can;t sell hardware. As long as it's optional, keeping up with the times is fine.
I not entirely against cloud as an option but when we start to get stuff like the Project Q instead of a way to play our library on a portable then I don't think it's a good direction.

Cloud gaming sucks and is very unappealing. Even the best service (Geforce Now) is still a terrible value proposition and a compromised and unstable experience.

• fire
Reactions: ksdixon

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
That's where the market's moving. With Mark Cerny behind the wheel, they can do well here.

I don't care about cloud but they need to get competitive there.

I just hope it doesn't impact their traditional gaming too much.

And here come the doomers...
There’s zero evidence to support this claim. If cloud was actually where the market was moving, Stadia wouldn’t have shut down. Xbox would be in a better position but they’re worse than they’ve ever been. There is no market for cloud and there probably never will be

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

If everybody moves to the cloud, people have no choice but to follow suit or abandon their hobbies. That's what's happening. Everybody is moving in that direction.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

That’s what I said, PlayStation is hell bent on becoming Xbox 2.0. It won’t be long till we start seeing “no console required” commercials from PlayStation

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If everybody moves to the cloud, people have no choice but to follow suit or abandon their hobbies. That's what's happening. Everybody is moving in that direction.
cy5naWY.gif

That’s what I said, PlayStation is hell bent on becoming Xbox 2.0. It won’t be long till we start seeing “no console required” commercials from PlayStation
I admire how MS always managed to steer the market in the direction they want even when their products keep flopping. I'm starting to think it ain't just Xbox that sucks. We need a new participant in the console market.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

This concern trolling is getting out of hand, next u will try to convince us Jim Ryan is secretly Phil spencer and his been planning the downfall of Sony since 1994

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I not entirely against cloud as an option but when we start to get stuff like the Project Q instead of a way to play our library on a portable then I don't think it's a good direction.

Cloud gaming sucks and is very unappealing. Even the best service (Geforce Now) is still a terrible value proposition and a compromised and unstable experience.
I don’t follow this untethered portable mindset. You can’t play next gen games on a portable without compromise that is simply not acceptable for a closed eco system. And do we want one foot in outdated hardware or do we want shit to move forward without a ball and chain? Games are ridiculously large now to boot.

If the cloud shit is an add on to the eco system, it is a sound pursuit for portable gaming.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This concern trolling is getting out of hand, next u will try to convince us Jim Ryan is secretly Phil spencer and his been planning the downfall of Sony since 1994
So your position is that when Xbox does it it's bad but when Sony does it it's great?

Soon after Phil Spencer was promoted Xbox made PC ports a standard, wen't big into services and cloud. MS was already big into GaaS but Phil Spencer doubled down on that.

That sounds a lot like Jim Ryan to me. PlayStation fans even started talking like Xbox fans "the games are coming", "secret showcases", "wait till next year"...

I don’t follow this untethered portable mindset. You can’t play next gen games on a portable without compromise that is simply not acceptable for a closed eco system. And do we want one foot in outdated hardware or do we want shit to move forward without a ball and chain? Games are ridiculously large now to boot.

If the cloud shit is an add on to the eco system, it is a sound pursuit for portable gaming.
Until you go an actually start playing cloud games on the go and find out it doesn't make any sense.

Being able to play your games on a portable while on a plane/train/hotel/remote area easily without having to worry about internet connection is the main appeal of portable devices. Nintendo and Valve get it.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

But that's just the enthusiast mindset. Most folks just play on Playstation because they been doing that since the PS1, the next one has a higher number to avoid them being confused when purchasing.

I kid you not, seen people that can't play on anything but a DualShock controller. Or are surprised when learning that games like resident evil or mortal Kombat are available outside playstation.

Consoles will continue selling, cloud will just be an alternative or acomplementary service. But I always see enthusiasts in forums whining when a console brand starts diversing their offerings beyond their walled box. Those enthusiasts are typically very familiar with PC gaming so deep down they know that consoles offer little value beyond a couple of exclusives, so they want to cling to that artificial value as long as they can.

Cloud is interesting for me because it would be an easy way to play games stranded on the PS3 for instance. Xcloud works pretty well so I'm also looking forward to ps now.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
You guys need to stop writing everything off as trolling… it’s the objective truth whether you like it or not. PlayStation is becoming another Xbox right before our eyes and you guys refuse to acknowledge it for some reason

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But that's just the enthusiast mindset. Most folks just play on Playstation because they been doing that since the PS1, the next one has a higher number to avoid them being confused when purchasing.

I kid you not, seen people that can't play on anything but a DualShock controller. Or are surprised when learning that games like resident evil or mortal Kombat are available outside playstation.

Consoles will continue selling, cloud will just be an alternative or acomplementary service. But I always see enthusiasts in forums whining when a console brand starts diversing their offerings beyond their walled box. Those enthusiasts are typically very familiar with PC gaming so deep down they know that consoles offer little value beyond a couple of exclusives, so they want to cling to that artificial value as long as they can.

Cloud is interesting for me because it would be an easy way to play games stranded on the PS3 for instance. Xcloud works pretty well so I'm also looking forward to ps now.
Most folks player trash games on mobile and GaaS, I don't care about them.

If it's not for me, then it's not for me, I don't owe Sony any loyalty and it doesn't really matter if it's successful or not if it doesn't appeal to me. Right now if you like discs you have two options Xbox and PlayStation, it just happens that Xbox fucking sucks.

Until 2019 when Jim Ryan took over I only had minor complaints, there was clearly a massive change in direction to make PlayStation a lot more like Phil Spencer's Xbox.

My prediction as of right now it that PC will dominate in the next few years and by the begging of next gen PlayStation won't be in the same strong position it is right now unless Xbox quits. A lot of the issue in the past years for PC was the inflated hardware prices and poor ports, one is already mostly fixed.