PlayStation Plus: opinions, game suggestions, whishes for the future and news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
What games specifically stood out to you as really great in those past offerings... just curious.

It's difficult to pull out single titles that make my point, but I think if you look at that list of all the previous game released on plus each year I think it's clear that they used to deliver much better months overall.

Just to pull one out of there though, September 2011 was a great month for plus, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3 in one month accessible on 3 platforms. Actually this was the list of games released that month on plus:

Screen-Shot-2022-06-30-at-8-34-17-AM.png

November of the same year was Crash 1, Crash 2, Crash 3, and CTR. To my memory they don't do months like this anymore. Lately it's been 1) a AA game you may or may not have heard of, B) a multiplayer indie game C) a multiplayer indie game, with adverts telling you to upgrade to a better tier for better "free" games

Last edited:

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Like I see a lot of good months in the early plus years

March 2012: Sly Cooper, SSF2 HD Remix, Umjammer Lammy

Like it's depressing me looking at these old months, am I reading this wrong or something or did they actually give out this many games in June 2012

Screen-Shot-2022-06-30-at-8-27-11-AM.png

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I went for extra as I didn't feel I could justify the addition expenditure for premium. My internet is not reliable enough to stream PS3 games properly. I don't feel there are enough PS1/2 titles to justify paying the extra for them alone, and at present they are still all PAL versions in my region, with no option for 60htz versions. I see there are some remasters/remakes in Premium too, but I already own most of these.

Nym

21 Jun 2022
To be fair, the service is probably really good if you buy the mid or top tier and want games on demand sort of thing, the asking price isn't too terrible for access to a small library that hopefully is reasonably updated.

But I am not personally interested in those higher tiers, and am just comparing the base service freebies to what they used to offer.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I went for extra as I didn't feel I could justify the addition expenditure for premium. My internet is not reliable enough to stream PS3 games properly. I don't feel there are enough PS1/2 titles to justify paying the extra for them alone, and at present they are still all PAL versions in my region, with no option for 60htz versions. I see there are some remasters/remakes in Premium too, but I already own most of these.

I still find many British youtubers that use 25fps, 50fps and 100fps with Sony a7S III camera instead of the NTSC alternative 24,60 and 120fps. I doubt they need to now. Also not sure why the camera have them separated, meaning you can't access 25/50/100fps if you startup as NTSC, nor you can access 24/60/120fps when you're in PAL.

• brain
Reactions: Cragarmi

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I wonder sometimes too if, counterintuitively, a game being on the service makes it less likely people will seriously invest in it. There's actually a good number of titles on Plus over the years that I was semi interested in when they were just retail releases, and then when they came to Plus I was just like eh whatever. Something about the games being free can sometimes make you less apt to play them.
There is some truth to this. I have hundreds of PS+ games from the Vita, PS3 and early PS4 days and I barely played any of them. I was so hype at the time when they started giving free AAA games (it was a big deal). I guess there was no urgency to play them anymore. They were just there in the backlog.

Stray I will play Day 1 on Extra tho 😎

Reactions: Bo_Hazem and Nym
OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What's it about? What is the core gameplay like?
It's an award winning indie game published by Devolver in 2018 that got 86/83/82 Metacritic.

Starts as a Ninja Gaiden inspired NES-like action platformer game but later in the game evolves into a different thing both in visuals and genre (16 bits sort of metroidvania).

It shines for two main reasons: georgeous level design (by a level designer from the first Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones or Prince of Persia: Warrior Within) and sense of humor on its dialogs that constantly break the 4th wall and jokes about itself or about gaming topics. It also features great OST, fine tuned gameplay and a proper difficulty curve (a bit challenging but not broken like in old 8 bit games or some retro games).

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's an award winning indie game published by Devolver in 2018 that got 86/83/82 Metacritic.

Starts as a Ninja Gaiden inspired NES-like action platformer game but later in the game evolves into a different thing both in visuals and genre (16 bits sort of metroidvania).

It shines for two main reasons: georgeous level design (by a level designer from the first Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones or Prince of Persia: Warrior Within) and sense of humor on its dialogs that constantly break the 4th wall and jokes about itself or about gaming topics. It also features great OST, fine tuned gameplay and a proper difficulty curve (a bit challenging but not broken like in old 8 bit games or some retro games).

Oh that seems really cool...I'm gonna play it and show my kid!

He'll probably love it too.

Reactions: Yurinka
P

peter42O

What do you think about the new service and its catalog?
I think it's better than majority thought it was going to be. The catalog is great for older games you missed out on and the classics if you're a Premium subscriber. It would be great to see Sony eventually break whatever is preventing them from allowing you to download and play PS3 games natively as opposed to having to stream them.

While Stray isn't for me, it's good to see Sony get at least one brand new day one release in their service and hope they do this every month.
Do you prefer the new focus merging Plus and Now or did you prefer the previous one?
This merging is better and obviously, a smart decision by Sony to take a failing service in PS Now and combine it with their very successful service in PS Plus. In general and personally, I prefer the current setup.
What do you think about it when compared to Gamepass?
In general, both are basically identical with the lone exception being that with Game Pass, you're guaranteed to get every first party game day one and because Microsoft is obviously fully invested with the subscription service model, they'll get a shit ton of other day one games.

I'm not subscribed to either but with PS Plus, unless you really want to play PS/PS2/PS3 games, the middle Extra tier seems to be the sweet spot since it includes some of Sony's past first party releases up to and including Returnal.

For Game Pass, I simply subscribe when there's a day one game that I actually want to play. I'm not into retro indies and a lot of other shit so outside of Microsoft's first party releases, im not expecting to get much but I do expect more from them than I do Sony simply because Sony's focus isn't a subscription service and I don't see them getting many/if any day one games that I actually want to play but remains to be seen. When there's a day one game I want to play on Game Pass, that game is basically a $10 monthly rental and after the game is completed, the service gets cancelled.

Thus far, I have played and completed Gears Tactics and Halo Infinite via Game Pass. I also played Outriders and The Ascent but I loved both games so I purchased them digitally instead of playing them via Game Pass. My next day one Game Pass game is A Plague Tale Requiem on October 18th. Excluding Microsoft's first party games, I know I will be getting Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn and Stalker 2: Heart of Chernobyl in 2023 on Game Pass day one.

That's basically how I see and use both subscription services. For those who missed out on a lot of great games and just want to play them as opposed to owning them, both have an excellent catalog. Since im not someone who goes back to play games from previous generations, I only have a single game in my backlog which is Cyberpunk 2077 and at this point, im just waiting for the expansion in 2023 and I will then play through it all. Other than that, I have two expansions and neither are in either subscription service.

I mainly just want new game releases and whichever one gives me the games that I actually want to play will be the subscription service that gets my $10 (or $15 if it's PS+ Extra) for a nice monthly rental. Anything less than this and quite honestly, both are basically non-existent to me.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think it's better than majority thought it was going to be. The catalog is great for older games you missed out on and the classics if you're a Premium subscriber. It would be great to see Sony eventually break whatever is preventing them from allowing you to download and play PS3 games natively as opposed to having to stream them.

While Stray isn't for me, it's good to see Sony get at least one brand new day one release in their service and hope they do this every month.
I also like the new PS+. I think it will become better over time, they couldn't put all the great stuff day one, I think they saved good stuff to be included every few months. I think PS3 won't be emulable natively outside a few minor games that don't use the full PS3 hardware. Due to tech limitations I think we'll have to wait for the PS6 to see PS3 properly emulated.

PS Plus or PS Now already had some AA or specially indies day one. Let's hope they add them frequently, at least a great indie every couple of months, or even one per montth. But in order to keep finantials on track both for them and for the 3rd party devs I think they should keep the current focus. With maximum 1 day one indie per month, or per 2 months.

This merging is better and obviously, a smart decision by Sony to take a failing service in PS Now and combine it with their very successful service in PS Plus. In general and personally, I prefer the current setup.

In general, both are basically identical with the lone exception being that with Game Pass, you're guaranteed to get every first party game day one and because Microsoft is obviously fully invested with the subscription service model, they'll get a shit ton of other day one games.
Well this and most months Plus and GP have the same number of day one first party games: zero.

I'm not subscribed to either but with PS Plus, unless you really want to play PS/PS2/PS3 games, the middle Extra tier seems to be the sweet spot since it includes some of Sony's past first party releases up to and including Returnal.
Yes. But premium has many PS4 or PS5 games that are ports, remasters or remakes of games originally released on PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP or Vita. Or that were crossgen between PS3 and PS4. It doesn't only have the emulated games. Plus has the demos and cloud gaming. I think right now maybe Extra is more worth it, but I think Premium is great and I see a lot of potential on new games that could be added there during the next year or two.

P

peter42O

I also like the new PS+. I think it will become better over time, they couldn't put all the great stuff day one, I think they saved good stuff to be included every few months. I think PS3 won't be emulable natively outside a few minor games that don't use the full PS3 hardware. Due to tech limitations I think we'll have to wait for the PS6 to see PS3 properly emulated.

PS Plus or PS Now already had some AA or specially indies day one. Let's hope they add them frequently, at least a great indie every couple of months, or even one per montth. But in order to keep finantials on track both for them and for the 3rd party devs I think they should keep the current focus. With maximum 1 day one indie per month, or per 2 months.
Yeah, it's solid. I'm hoping to get at least one day one game a year that I actually want to play but seeing as how the vast majority of them are AAA, it's probably unlikely to say the least.
Well this and most months Plus and GP have the same number of day one first party games: zero.
True but in general, I know that as of now, I have at least 13 Microsoft first party games this generation that have already been announced/confirmed where as with Sony, I have zero since it's highly unlikely that they will go this route, at least for this generation anyway.
Yes. But premium has many PS4 or PS5 games that are ports, remasters or remakes of games originally released on PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP or Vita. Or that were crossgen between PS3 and PS4. It doesn't only have the emulated games. Plus has the demos and cloud gaming. I think right now maybe Extra is more worth it, but I think Premium is great and I see a lot of potential on new games that could be added there during the next year or two.
Excluding the older PS/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita games, are there any PS4/PS5 games that are in Premium that are not in Extra?

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
True but in general, I know that as of now, I have at least 13 Microsoft first party games this generation that have already been announced/confirmed where as with Sony, I have zero since it's highly unlikely that they will go this route, at least for this generation anyway.
This is because MS didn't have almost any exclusives in the short term to hype their fans, so they announced and made CG trailers of games they would release even like 5 or 7 years later. Some of these games still weren't in production when announced.

Sony instead has a good and steady number of exclusives every year so they can focus on hyping their fans announcing, showing & marketitng games to be released in the short term, to be released in a few years or maximum around a year and a half (with a handful exceptions, and a handful games more that wasn't the case but were delayed to covid).

Excluding the older PS/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita games, are there any PS4/PS5 games that are in Premium that are not in Extra?
The have a lot of them, under the "remasters" tab of the "Classics games".

Here they have the PS4/PS5 version of all the ones that are PS3+PS4 or Vita+PS4 crossgen games, PS3, PSP or Vita games that got later ported to PS4, PS4 remasters or remakes of PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita games (with a few exceptions that are in Extra).

Being the PS4/PS5 version of these games, like the emulated ones you can download and play them locally. Which means that players of Deluxe who don't have cloud gaming can play them.

Basically Premium has PS1/PS2/PSP emulated games + PS4/PS5 versions of games that were also released in some way in PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita + cloud gaming for all games in Premium & Extra + time limited full game trials + the content from Essential & Extra.

As far as I remember none of the Premium games was only released in PS4/PS5 (excluding the ones from the trials).

P

peter42O

This is because MS didn't have almost any exclusives in the short term to hype their fans, so they announced and made CG trailers of games they would release even like 5 or 7 years later. Some of these games still weren't in production when announced.

Sony instead has a good and steady number of exclusives every year so they can focus on hyping their fans announcing, showing & marketitng games to be released in the short term, to be released in a few years or maximum around a year and a half (with a handful exceptions, and a handful games more that wasn't the case but were delayed to covid).
I agree with this but at the same time, Microsoft had to announce a lot of games early. They didn't have a choice because imagine having nothing in 2020 and 2022 while at the same time, having nothing announced. That would be even worse than what it currently is.

Sony's had a great start to the generation. No argument there. They were further ahead in regards to their studios getting ready for this generation where as Microsoft's studios either just released a game or were contracted by another publisher which wasted a few years. Microsoft should have paid out those contracts but too late now. It is what it is.

For Game Pass though, I know that eventually, I have 13 games day one on Game Pass. Doesn't matter if it's a year or five years, I know they're coming!!! lol

Will look into the PS Plus stuff this week when I buy and download Sword and Fairy. Thanks for the info.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I agree with this but at the same time, Microsoft had to announce a lot of games early. They didn't have a choice because imagine having nothing in 2020 and 2022 while at the same time, having nothing announced. That would be even worse than what it currently is.

Sony's had a great start to the generation. No argument there. They were further ahead in regards to their studios getting ready for this generation where as Microsoft's studios either just released a game or were contracted by another publisher which wasted a few years. Microsoft should have paid out those contracts but too late now. It is what it is.

For Game Pass though, I know that eventually, I have 13 games day one on Game Pass. Doesn't matter if it's a year or five years, I know they're coming!!! lol

Will look into the PS Plus stuff this week when I buy and download Sword and Fairy. Thanks for the info.
Xbox had a terrible generarion and endned it on a huge drougth, then they had a terrible start on this one where they had nothing and now they are having one of the worst years of all time of any plataform holder.

I love Phil Spencer, nobody hates Xbox as much as him.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
P

peter42O

Xbox had a terrible generarion and endned it on huge drougth, then they had a terrible start on this one where they had nothing and now they are having one of the worst years of all time of any plataform holder.

I love Phil Spencer.
I agree with every word you just said. :)

• brain
Reactions: nominedomine
Status
Not open for further replies.