#PlayStation PORTAL is already SOLD OUT in every Japanese outlet

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
No shock that PlayStation Portal might do well in Japan. The device ain't for me, but since Japan has better internet structure than in the States if I was living in Japan I might cope it too. Lol.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
PS5 sales themselves aren't an issue; if the Portal can help spur more sales of PS5 software, then it's doing something right.

I was initially against it but finding out you can basically use it to connect via proxy to any PS5 like it's a server via PS Link & Remote Play, actually opens up a lot of use-cases for it considering how many PS5s are out there.
Wait what? Wdym it acts like a server?

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
LTE plus plan is pretty cheap rn, 3000 yen for unlimited no throttle plan, so streaming is not a bad option I guess.

Also that is only available in populated areas, not my place so welp.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Not everyone in japan has room for a big tv in their homes, so something like this to stream to is a super good option.
They don't have walls to stick a TV there? I have mine mounted on a wall it's not taking space.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
They don't have walls to stick a TV there? I have mine mounted on a wall it's not taking space.
32' dumb TVs still sold here.

I know Kanto full of rentoids look only live in 8m^2 but isn't that enough for that kind of TVs?

Not to mention, I don't think rentoids have option for LANs, and this shit definitely needs LANs to be able to play.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
This could be a big win for the crowd that loves a new gadget regardless of how useful it is. Those people do exist.

Since the release of the Switch there has always been the ones who say they have zero intention of bringing the device outside their home. I imagine that mentality runs deep with a certain type of consumer.
Guilty to the 1st part

Reactions: BroodCorp

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
If this does have a niche, it could possibly sell more PS5's across Japan.
The power of a ps5 in the palm of your hands is quite the thing.

Needs to pass 2 things, imperceptible latency and a seamless power on process. Very much unlike current remote play.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
The power of a ps5 in the palm of your hands is quite the thing.

Needs to pass 2 things, unpredictable latency and a seamless power on process. Very much unlike current remote play.
I hate the fact that this turd looks like a controller cut in half, and no support for cellular network. Like do I have to buy a seperate phone for mobile hotspots?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
A new Sony TV = $1000-4000 depending on size, ps portal $200. The use case is there.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I hate the fact that this turd looks like a controller cut in half, and no support for cellular network. Like do I have to buy a seperate phone for mobile hotspots?
The full controller is the selling point to someone like me. It’s essentially a dual sense with a screen. Nothing more, nothing less.

They should have called is Dualsense Vision or something to that effect so people don’t expect something that it’s not.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I have to admit something here, I have no interest and had no faith in this product... so I was way off here.

I think I don't admit as much when I was wrong on things.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
An actual playstation portable with portable games made for it would sell gangbusters. Something selling out of stock doesn't really tell me a lot about demand. Like PSVR2, this product isn't as exciting as it could be because the first party software is lacking.