#PlayStation PORTAL is already SOLD OUT in every Japanese outlet

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
"who's it for"
"i don't get it"
"they should've made a PSP3"

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

"Why make a PSP3 which can additionally play offline games for like 50-100 units of currency more like all of it's predecessors when you can sell a dust magnet PS5-bracelet type of crap which is tied to a constant internet connetion that only less than half of your consumers can enjoy."

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
"why make a PSP3 which can stream games for like 50-100 units of currency more like all of it's predecessors but also play offline games when you can sell a dust magnet PS5-bracelet type of crap"

Mr Rogers Clown GIF
1) psp3 would be more than 50-100 more
2) what offline games would you be playing?
3) this "dust magnet" is apparently selling really well.

Learn to take the L, I was negative on this thing at first too, but I accepted I was wrong.

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
1) psp3 would be more than 50-100 more
2) what offline games would you be playing?
3) this "dust magnet" is apparently selling really well.

Learn to take the L, I was negative on this thing at first too, but I accepted I was wrong.

1&3) PSVita which is the closest post financial crisis machine sold more at the same price.
2) Everything it was made for it. Better, fit for a smaller screen.

This shit will fail. It probably will have 4GB - 8GB internal space so even the homebrew scene will have no use of it.

Edit: Meanwhile, we have no numbers. HTF are people claiming it sold well?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
1&3) PSVita which is the closest post financial crisis machine sold more at the same price.

This shit will fail. It probably will have 4GB - 8GB internal space so even the homebrew scene will have no use of it.

"We have no numbers"
"Psvita sold more"

Pick one dude you're all over the place

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

If Portal only sells 2, those 2 will still get what they wanted. If a PSP3 (cough or PSVR2) sells 2, then those 2 will be fleeced because no games are coming to the platform.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
"Why make a PSP3 which can additionally play offline games for like 50-100 units of currency more like all of it's predecessors when you can sell a dust magnet PS5-bracelet type of crap which is tied to a constant internet connetion that only less than half of your consumers can enjoy."

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

First off, if you think another dedicated handheld from Sony will be 50-100 more than this, I have a bridge to sell you. Second, there's a reason why it's $200 and basically the price of a DS: Edge........it's an ACCESSORY. With it being as such, it requires no additional work for Sony or their partners to create games for this thing. That stresses development and you end up with system with barely any decent games.

Portal is simply a no risk win for Sony and consumers. If it's not for you then it's not for you. That I can understand but let's stop pretending that making a dedicated device is so simple.

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
If Portal only sells 2, those 2 will still get what they wanted. If a PSP3 (cough or PSVR2) sells 2, then those 2 will be fleeced because no games are coming to the platform.

I believe the exact opposite. I can already see the faces of parents who thought they bought a genuine standalone PS for their kids. It's gonna be a failure not only to those who didn't know but also to those who knew but didn't test it in their own home network. If i'm not mistaken, it doesn't even make a direct connection to the system, it requires the modem to handle everything. For every reason Stadia failed and XCloud still can't get a grip on the market, this thing will fail as well and i'm looking forward to it cause i want a proper handheld and that'll never happen as long as Portal is on the market.

First off, if you think another dedicated handheld from Sony will be 50-100 more than this, I have a bridge to sell you. Second, there's a reason why it's $200 and basically the price of a DS: Edge........it's an ACCESSORY. With it being as such, it requires no additional work for Sony or their partners to create games for this thing. That stresses development and you end up with system with barely any decent games.

Portal is simply a no risk win for Sony and consumers. If it's not for you then it's not for you. That I can understand but let's stop pretending that making a dedicated device is so simple.

Well, if you think that games designed for 4K 55 inches will look good on this, you can keep your bridge. PSP2 was a piece of art tech wise and it started at 200, so this thing is overpriced, along with DualSense Edge. That's Jim Ryan for you, the only person who increased the price of a console, 3 years in the generation and the only person responsible for locking PS back compat behind a paywall. Noone else did that, ever. Even if PSP3 started at 300 it would be extremely better than this, a far better value.

No risk, no reward. A bland device with half to no purpose. Meanwhile Ninty is making billions while have at least some triple A stuff. I'm putting myself out there and betting that with the recent rise of handheld PCs, a proper Sony handheld would have a much better welcome than PSV.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Well, if you think that games designed for 4K 55 inches will look good on this, you can keep your bridge. PSP2 was a piece of art tech wise and it started at 200, so this thing is overpriced, along with DualSense Edge. That's Jim Ryan for you, the only person who increased the price of a console, 3 years in the generation and the only person responsible for locking PS back compat behind a paywall. Noone else did that, ever. Even if PSP3 started at 300 it would be extremely better than this, a far better value.

No risk, no reward. A bland device with half to no purpose. Meanwhile Ninty is making billions while have at least some triple A stuff. I'm putting myself out there and betting that with the recent rise of handheld PCs, a proper Sony handheld would have a much better welcome than PSV.

This post is so bad I don't even know where to start in refuting. Talk about moving goalposts and spouting misinformation....

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I believe the exact opposite. I can already see the faces of parents who thought they bought a genuine standalone PS for their kids. It's gonna be a failure not only to those who didn't know but also to those who knew but didn't test it in their own home network. If i'm not mistaken, it doesn't even make a direct connection to the system, it requires the modem to handle everything. For every reason Stadia failed and XCloud still can't get a grip on the market, this thing will fail as well and i'm looking forward to it cause i want a proper handheld and that'll never happen as long as Portal is on the market.

What I said is a straightforward fact. The Portal doesn't rely on big sales to succeed. It can't fail. If you buy it, it plays PS5 games. If you're the only one who owns one, it still plays PS5 games. If Sony makes a dedicated handheld, now you have to pray other people buy it or you won't get games. We've already seen this story before, it was called the PS Vita and it died a tragic, premature death.

You're inventing fake narratives like people are too stupid to understand what the Portal is. Don't project your inadequacy onto innocent people.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
What I said is a straightforward fact. The Portal doesn't rely on big sales to succeed. It can't fail. If you buy it, it plays PS5 games. If you're the only one who owns one, it still plays PS5 games. If Sony makes a dedicated handheld, now you have to pray other people buy it or you won't get games. We've already seen this story before, it was called the PS Vita and it died a tragic, premature death.

You're inventing fake narratives like people are too stupid to understand what the Portal is. Don't project your inadequacy onto innocent people.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Reactions: Gamernyc78

kaluas

3 Oct 2022

Ah, the "sales can't judge it" fairytale. It's like i'm talking to a Jim Ryan clone, you have adopted the "why does anyone want to play this" mindset. A for effort.

Ofc it can be judged because it competes in the same handheld market no matter how it differantiated. And don't be confused, ofc they could launch a proper handheld for the same money to 300 and ffs ofc it would be better for us. Even the Vita is better than this anorgasmic device, dead or not, because it can do so much more plus stream. And it could stream directly from the console, ffs. But no, flaccid brains want to sponsor the orwellian stream only future. Big W move.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Ah, the "sales can't judge it" fairytale. It's like i'm talking to a Jim Ryan clone, you have adopted the "why does anyone want to play this" mindset. A for effort.

Ofc it can be judged because it competes in the same handheld market no matter how it differantiated. And don't be confused, ofc they could launch a proper handheld for the same money to 300 and ffs ofc it would be better for us. Even the Vita is better than this anorgasmic device, dead or not, because it can do so much more plus stream. And it could stream directly from the console, ffs. But no, flaccid brains want to sponsor the orwellian stream only future. Big W move.
Portal is a controller.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The jeering is so unnecessary and short sighted considering we don't know how many units were shipped. It was always gonna sell out initially.

How it does long term is still up in the air.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The jeering is so unnecessary and short sighted considering we don't know how many units were shipped. It was always gonna sell out initially.

How it does long term is still up in the air.
it literally does not matter how it does. the jeering is warranted because some confused people believe there was a choice between a PS5 controller with a screen vs a PSP3. these things are not in the same universe, and I am concerned about these posters' mental health.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
it literally does not matter how it does. the jeering is warranted because some confused people believe there was a choice between a PS5 controller with a screen vs a PSP3. these things are not in the same universe, and I am concerned about these posters' mental health.
Precisely, it’s a product that requires literally 0 post launch support from developers. The biggest hurdle for any devices success and longevity.

It’s purely a peripheral, not a platform.