#PlayStation PORTAL is already SOLD OUT in every Japanese outlet

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Here in Spain can be preordered in some major outlets: Mediamarkt, El Corte Ingles, Game, PlayStation Direct.

For some reason still doesn't appear listed in other major outlets: Amazon, Carrefour or Alcampo.

Apparently no stock issues here, but who knows: maybe Sony didn't told them to accept only a limited number of preorders. Or well, considering that this is Sony land and even Vita or the 599 PS3 had great sales, maybe they sent here a monster number of stock for launch.

Spain is a weird market that can't be used as reference for EU or worldwide numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Amazon US
Screenshot-20230930-212912-Chrome.jpg
Screenshot-20230930-212927-Chrome.jpg

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Sometimes the enthusiast gamer crowd, and this is not a knock, is so enthusiast and critical, it loses touch a little. When you’re a fan of something, you see it in a different way.

While you’re thinking dedicated handheld would have been cooler, or a PS Vita shape, why no Cloud capability, and all of those things…

The casual customer maybe sees this, and is like, huh, this would be kind of fun to lounge around the home with, or I could play more games like this as an adult with children.

I’ll wait and see before I make wild calls, but sometimes enthusiast reception isn’t the only metric, and things can really swerve hard.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Well, I guess there was a market for this device after all. I also don't get why the switch jas sold any unit at all.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not out yet.

Hopefully it would be as good as the XM4 for the same price. And able to connect to dedicated apps for Iphone or Android
They will sound very different to xm4, xm4 are dynamic drivers

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
It's not that it's a "bad" product. For its limited use case, it will hopefully provide a better/easier way of remote playing compared to phone/tablet + controller and controller clamp/shell.

The main thrust is it could do PS+ cloud streaming, it could do downloadable games with local storage, it could be more powerful like a PS4-Portable to better combat Deck/Steam 2 and others. It is limited/feature lacking compared to closest current competitors.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's not that it's a "bad" product. For its limited use case, it will hopefully provide a better/easier way of remote playing compared to phone/tablet + controller and controller clamp/shell.

The main thrust is it could do PS+ cloud streaming, it could do downloadable games with local storage, it could be more powerful like a PS4-Portable to better combat Deck/Steam 2 and others. It is limited/feature lacking compared to closest current competitors.
The use-case is: Playing Playstation 5. Is that limited?

It can't do downloadable games with local storage. It could not be more powerful like a PS4 portable.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
The use-case is: Playing Playstation 5. Is that limited?

It can't do downloadable games with local storage. It could not be more powerful like a PS4 portable.
Yes it is limited, when contemporary devices can have local storage/downloability of games for playing with no network access, which Portal can't. Or indeed, they can stream games from services like GP/GeForce, which Portal can't for PS+.

I don't believe it can't be of the same power as launch PS4. That thing is 10 years old, and settings/power configuration profiles and custom cut-down OS builds (like fake PS3 menu system on PSNow games) can be used to define a better workload environment that better suites the portable form factor's needs. Most glaring issue would probably be transforming wall power plug PS4 to use batteries instead, but people cut up old PS2 slims and such to make custom handheld consoles, so something is do-able there too.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Not really much to lose for Sony or the consumer.

Its a 200 dollar device. Whatever it sells there’s profits for Sony.

Will also be getting one.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I ordered mine yesterday on PS Direct Store. Luckily they had few still in stocks. I think this could become best selling accessory throughout 2024.