Playstation portal review thread and |OT| "The power is now in your hands" |UP| Accolades Trailer.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It'll probably have to be hacked in, but I hope there's some way to stream from Steam remote play and Geforce Now eventually. I like the simplicity of focusing on PS5, but this hardware is also the best of its kind (compared to devices like Gcloud or backbone). It would be a better value at $200 if it supported some other common streaming connections. I think it's possible to incorporate them without hindering the PS5 golden path.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It'll probably have to be hacked in, but I hope there's some way to stream from Steam remote play and Geforce Now eventually. I like the simplicity of focusing on PS5, but this hardware is also the best of its kind (compared to devices like Gcloud or backbone). It would be a better value at $200 if it supported some other common streaming connections. I think it's possible to incorporate them without hindering the PS5 golden path.
It runs Android under the PlayStation interface, so it is not inconceivable that someone will find a way to sideload applications for other services.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I predict to see a lot of these being returned or on ebay when people figure out.
1) that this isn't a standalone handheld
2) how shitty the quality of remote play is even on decent connections.

If the reviews of actual outlets are already mixed, I expect the consumer reception to be worse.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I predict to see a lot of these being returned or on ebay when people figure out.
1) that this isn't a standalone handheld
2) how shitty the quality of remote play is even on decent connections.

If the reviews of actual outlets are already mixed, I expect the consumer reception to be worse.
Don't think that will happen in a big way. As for streaming and remote play I've been doing that for years and results overall have been good to great for me, definitely better than the competition. For every person complaining about a connection you have three youtube videos showing ppl playing remote play and it seeming as if it was local play as good as it works.

Prediction: Must have item for Christmas! I'm buying one next paycheck as well if I can find it!!!

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Don't think that will happen in a big way. As for streaming and remote play I've been doing that for years and results overall have been good to great for me, definitely better than the competition. For every person complaining about a connection you have three youtube videos showing ppl playing remote play and it seeming as if it was local play as good as it works.

Prediction: Must have item for Christmas! I'm buying one next paycheck as well if I can find it!!!
A lot of people are also judging Remote Play and PS Plus streaming based on MS' mediocre streaming performance.

Sony didn't buy OnLive and Gaikai because they were huge successes, they bought them to acquire fundamental patents and foundational technologies that give Sony an edge in game streaming.

I'd encourage anyone skeptical to try the Remote Play app on a smartphone or computer. Granted, results can vary there if you have a shitty phone or computer, but it works a lot better than a lot of people assume.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
A lot of people are also judging Remote Play and PS Plus streaming based on MS' mediocre streaming performance.

Sony didn't buy OnLive and Gaikai because they were huge successes, they bought them to acquire fundamental patents and foundational technologies that give Sony an edge in game streaming.

I'd encourage anyone skeptical to try the Remote Play app on a smartphone or computer. Granted, results can vary there if you have a shitty phone or computer, but it works a lot better than a lot of people assume.
Definitely. Sony has been pushing tht medium way before and better than Microsoft, not to mention the first to offer 1080p streaming and now 4K while Microsoft tries to play catchup.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Definitely. Sony has been pushing tht medium way before and better than Microsoft, not to mention the first to offer 1080p streaming and now 4K while Microsoft tries to play catchup.
Even as far back as the PSP connecting to the PS3, Remote Play has been a lot better than most people realized. I remember playing Symphony of the Night on my PS3 over shitty hospital WiFi on my PSP while recovering from surgery and not really having any problems.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Even as far back as the PSP connecting to the PS3, Remote Play has been a lot better than most people realized. I remember playing Symphony of the Night on my PS3 over shitty hospital WiFi on my PSP while recovering from surgery and not really having any problems.
Bro I remember playing Drive Club via remote play and couldn't believe I wasn't playing locally off the disc lol seriously idk wtf propoganda most ppl be telling.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

For me PS remote play and even PSNOW/PS+ have abysmal quality, especially if my PS5 happens to be updating a game in the background. It's mainly because I'm used to geforce now which is high bitrate + 4k streaming while Playstation has been stuck on 1080p streaming for years.

I'm interested in what they'll say about the sales in their next financial report.