Playstation portal review thread and |OT| "The power is now in your hands" |UP| Accolades Trailer.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
For me PS remote play and even PSNOW/PS+ have abysmal quality, especially if my PS5 happens to be updating a game in the background. It's mainly because I'm used to geforce now which is high bitrate + 4k streaming while Playstation has been stuck on 1080p streaming for years.

I'm interested in what they'll say about the sales in their next financial report.
PS5 has offered 4K since Oct.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I predict to see a lot of these being returned or on ebay when people figure out.
1) that this isn't a standalone handheld
2) how shitty the quality of remote play is even on decent connections.

If the reviews of actual outlets are already mixed, I expect the consumer reception to be worse.
I’m sure it was a typo when you created your account, but shouldn’t the first letter in your handle be an “m”? Your posts indicate that is the case.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
PS5 has offered 4K since Oct.
For ps5 only, which has nothing to do with the remote play limits which have been at 1080 and lower for years. Allowing me to stream at 4k only on PS5 is pointless when I can just download the game at that point. Geforce allows me to stream at 4k/hdr from my laptop

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Here’s the thing, after closer examination of reviews I’m certain this is a one user device. You cannot choose the user from the ps5 dash like on a tv. You need to log the device into psn under a single account, and if you want to use it in a household - you need to constantly do the psn logout, login dance.

Correct me if this is incorrect, but seemingly they have done nothing to enhance remote for this - it no diff to a phone.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Here’s the thing, after closer examination of reviews I’m certain this is a one user device. You cannot choose the user from the ps5 dash like on a tv. You need to log the device into psn under a single account, and if you want to use it in a household - you need to constantly do the psn logout, login dance.

Correct me if this is incorrect, but seemingly they have done nothing to enhance remote for this - it no diff to a phone.
Wow. Shocking. A handheld being a single-user device is such an unheard-of phenomenon.

Oh, wait, no it isn’t. It’s literally been the norm for the entire history of handhelds.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Wow. Shocking. A handheld being a single-user device is such an unheard-of phenomenon.

Oh, wait, no it isn’t. It’s literally been the norm for the entire history of handhelds.

Disagree - a ps5 is a multi user device, yet to play on this screen each member of the household need their own?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I have my ps5 connected to ethernet and initially connect to remote app via wifi but after I connect my ps5 and it works great!
instead of the portal I spent $130 on a new wifi router; the one i'm using is old. If it makes my remote play work better I'll consider getting a portal next year if it gets down to like $150

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Yet the Nintendo Switch and the Steam Deck allow for multiple profiles.
And it’s not like you need to store multiple profile data, saves etc locally on the portal. It’s all already on the ps5. The whole purpose of the device is to take your game off screen, and tying it to a single account is absurd. Makes sense on a phone being a personal device, but not here, not at all.

Sony phoned in the fuck out of this imho.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
From gaf..

Have been playing this whole last evening. It works almost flawlessly. Ps5 is wired, and have a TP-link Deco M9 mesh through the house. 3 units, all wired.
Most single players run without a hitch. Don't notice any lag. Spidey 2 worked fine. As did Horizon FW. I saw that vid on Twitter from the Tom's Guide guy, Nick Pino. Works faultless on my end. Something is up with that. The 3-loud-Ps5-Slim-in-a-small-cabinet is probably his nephew eh? I also tried D4, which worked very well. Until i tried a World Boss that is. Once its started the streaming side still worked, but the server side was laggy. That could be a coincidence, or it could be d4 network code and the streaming getting in each others way. I don't know. Will have to test more.

The biggest win for me though, other than that the device just works, is that it is very comfortable. Most handhelds give me numb pinky and ring finger after a while. The Portal did not.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
From gaf.

Have been playing this whole last evening. It works almost flawlessly. Ps5 is wired, and have a TP-link Deco M9 mesh through the house. 3 units, all wired.
Most single players run without a hitch. Don't notice any lag. Spidey 2 worked fine. As did Horizon FW. I saw that vid on Twitter from the Tom's Guide guy, Nick Pino. Works faultless on my end. Something is up with that. The 3-loud-Ps5-Slim-in-a-small-cabinet is probably his nephew eh? I also tried D4, which worked very well. Until i tried a World Boss that is. Once its started the streaming side still worked, but the server side was laggy. That could be a coincidence, or it could be d4 network code and the streaming getting in each others way. I don't know. Will have to test more.

The biggest win for me though, other than that the device just works, is that it is very comfortable. Most handhelds give me numb pinky and ring finger after a while. The Portal did not.

It is probably the most comfortable handheld of this size I’ve ever played. The sticks and buttons are ergonomic AF. Whoever designed this needs a promotion.

Overall I’m impressed. I played SM2 and RE4 extensively last night. RE4 was flawless and SM2 was 99% smooth, only dropping a few frames during the session.

For reference, my PS5 is connected to a switch through ethernet, and my Wi-Fi 6 AP is connected to the same switch. I’ll try the living room and patio later today.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Damn, they probably underestimated the demand. Hopefully they can restock soon and fast because I really hate scalpers 😡
This one time, I have to take my hat off to their foresight. I was told there's no audience for the Portal and it is doomed to failure and disgrace. Anyone who believed people would pay $300+ for them had true insight.

Numero

29 Jul 2023
Disagree - a ps5 is a multi user device, yet to play on this screen each member of the household need their own?
Why should you have more portals? Also this isn't a console or an handheld, the portal is a gamepad... it's pretty obvious that you should log out in order to use in on another account, just like a normal dualsense

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Why should you have more portals? Also this isn't a console or an handheld, the portal is a gamepad... it's pretty obvious that you should log out in order to use in on another account, just like a normal dualsense
Because it’s not like a normal Dualsense. The portal is logged into your psn account and only connects to your account on the ps5, you cannot choose another account on the ps5. It falls over in a family scenario.

It being like a normal dual sense should have been the design goal, instead it’s exactly like the phone app with a single user.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Because it’s not like a normal Dualsense. The portal is logged into your psn account and only connects to your account on the ps5, you cannot choose another account on the ps5. It falls over in a family scenario.

It being like a normal dual sense should have been the design goal, instead it’s exactly like the phone app with a single user.
So it only picks the account owner as the user?