PlayStation Pro Announced, 45% Faster, Pre Orders Available (November 7) | Starting $699.99

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
They missed a wiiiiiiiiiiiide open layup. From a marketing perspective:

1) Bad reveal. I'm 100% convinced that the people running the first-show/announcement-stage of PlayStation products are 100% unqualified for their position(s). I'm not talking about the overused DEI-woke-casually racist nonsense that has infested YouTube and Elon's diary. I genuinely believe that the people who are being paid to plan the reveal and showcase of PlayStation products have resumes that need to be thoroughly investigated by their HR department. Showing PS4 ports and PC-available games for a $700 PS5 is extraordinary levels of dumb. It's like if Apple announced they would show the iPhone 16 and then they started their presentation by showing the iPhone 15 and Galaxy S24 looking perfectly fine. You never want people to think of things that undermine your entire presentation while you're giving your presentation.

2) Bad pricing for Europe. They're already behind in Europe this gen due to the higher cost of the PS5 in virtually all 50+ countries in Europe. The money people at Sony are severely underestimating the value of European market share.

3) Bad uninspired design. It's still a PS5 so expecting a large difference in aesthetics is dumb. However, given that the PS5 is the first and only PlayStation console with user customizability (i.e., removability) of the external shell, they completely missed the opportunity to do something cool with the look of the Pro. Even a rotating PS logo on the front of the machine would be something to talk about rather than the gills/black vents on the console.

4) Bad value proposition. $700 for no disc drive, no stand, no new startup beep, not even a few months of PS+ or a free Concord-inspired joke book etc. It's just a really bad offer. The disc drive decision makes great business sense for new customers but completely devalues the Pro for current PS5 users. I understand that they make virtually no money on used game sales, so selling the disc drive seems like the better option. However, the value of in-the-box backwards compatibility is extremely high for the majority of PS5 users. The Pro is being advertised as a machine that "Makes your older shit look better." How are you supposed to know your older shit looks better if you can't even use your older shit?

5) Bad advertising slogan. "Witness Play Unleashed" tells you nothing about the new console or its features. Even worse, it's unnecessarily wordy, which guarantees a bunch of mistranslations in a bunch of non-English speaking markets.

It's pretty obvious that the majority of their managerial talent is about as skilled as a rapidly expiring loaf of bread. The Pro is (obviously) not intended as a mass market device. However, when the actual audience for the device is left wondering what the point of the device is, you're in for some rough waters. I didn't expect them to repeat the same PSVR 2 mistakes so soon but here we are.
It has a new controller ? Just looks like the same dualsense to me ?

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I remember after GT6 when Shu made the mistake of not having a PS4 port everyone was like oh yes, the brand is in decline.. it only sold 6 million..

GT Sport gets announced and they were like well, Sony didn't give out any sales update it definitely didn't sell that well 🤣

Only to find out the brand is literally selling better than ever
Gt sport sold 12 million from the insomniac leak. I have no idea why Sony didn't sing that from the rooftops.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
"I’m sorry but for 700 pay a little more and get a pc like seriously. You can get a 4070 or even a 4070ti if you’re lucky used for like 1k."

This is an actual statement from the comments section of Brokengamezhdr's video talking about the PS5 pro. Like I've said these clowns trying to counter a expensive price point of a console with telling us to pay thousand more for PC cause it's "cheaper." :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
"I’m sorry but for 700 pay a little more and get a pc like seriously. You can get a 4070 or even a 4070ti if you’re lucky used for like 1k."

This is an actual statement from the comments section of Brokengamezhdr's video talking about the PS5 pro. Like I've said these clowns trying to counter a expensive price point of a console with telling us to pay thousand more for PC cause it's "cheaper." :ROFLMAO:
yeah I've seen that repeated many times today. brainless idiots

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
"You can spend only $1,000 more and only wait 2-3 years for PS5 exclusives and GTA6, I know what I'm doing"

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023

It's better value in the long run, will last last longer, no paying for online, way more games, mods, upgrade every part when you want, no closed platform, and you can do more with it because it's a PC.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
It's better value in the long run, will last last longer, no paying for online, way more games, mods, upgrade every part when you want, no closed platform, and you can do more with it because it's a PC.

Value is subjective.

Last longer depends on how much you pay upfront.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
are we playing this game?
I have both and play on console for plenty of other reasons. Financial math and value is not my priotrity.
I play on consoles because I like it, I feel like it and I have chosen to do so lol. I like owning games on disc, I like the simplicity of it, hdr works better, dualsense is great, 3d audio is great, no need to wait for pc releases, I like the ps4 and 5 exclusives (few but still) and I like to kick back in my chair and not fuck around with pc gaming.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Value is subjective.

Last longer depends on how much you pay upfront.
There are objective aspects to this. The PC library is objectively bigger. You get everything on the platform. Old games, new games, emulated games. Steam, epic, GOG, myabandonware, more. Indies from itch, fangames like AM2R, others.

If you consider all of that it is a massive value. I mean, it's just smart to invest in the gaming platform that plays the most games. Not all of them are going to be as high production value as console games of today, but also with how many people are frequently playing old games that's probably not that much of an issue.

You can make a computer last as long as you want. Settings can be turned down, games can be optimized, you can always play different games. And if push comes to shove, you can always upgrade later. You're not stuck on a fixed platform.

Reactions: Infinity

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Cool and for hardcore gamers like many of us we own both. However, there are a lot of people out there that still avoid PC and just stick with a console due to the plug and play nature of the hardware. There are people that have no clue about installing mods and how it works. And for some there's still that lack of knowledge of how to build a gaming PC. Sure you can buy a prebuilt but when it comes to wanting to upgrade the parts well not every place has a Microcenter where you can drive to and have them do it for you. There is a huddle with PC that people don't want to deal with.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
There are objective aspects to this. The PC library is objectively bigger. You get everything on the platform. Old games, new games, emulated games. Steam, epic, GOG, myabandonware, more. Indies from itch, fangames like AM2R, others.

If you consider all of that it is a massive value. I mean, it's just smart to invest in the gaming platform that plays the most games. Not all of them are going to be as high production value as console games of today, but also with how many people are frequently playing old games that's probably not that much of an issue.

You can make a computer last as long as you want. Settings can be turned down, games can be optimized, you can always play different games. And if push comes to shove, you can always upgrade later. You're not stuck on a fixed platform.

I don't care about mods or emulation anymore and i don't want to wait a year or two for Sony titles.

So for me, there's no value in spending money on a gaming PC anymore.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Great point, we should be congratulating each other and supporting each other as gamers.

Especially as PlayStation gamers, building out the platform.

If some of us want or have to wait to get a Pro or don't want it... It's all good. We need to be understanding within our hobby.

Pro’s are also PS true answer to the PC issue. Like Andrew House said, its there to compete with PC. Thats why they hate it lol
Its 60fps at graphics mode for £699. Of course its competition to PC