PlayStation Pro Announced, 45% Faster, Pre Orders Available (November 7) | Starting $699.99

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's a victory in my book. Bye biased shitstain.
Fucking snowflakes here. Logoff and go cuddle a Hello Kitty plushie.
And your not a just biased c@nt? At least Im an honest about it.

Just dont want to hear your bias shit either. PC gamers are just a vermin, like xbots. Always outraged and concerned for Playstation gamers

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's all about the ecosystem you are in and switching costs. For a ps gamer, depending on the console you own, you could get say 150 USD for your PS4, 300 for your PS5 and buy the pro.

I'd say people on PS4 have more incentives to get the pro as the jump in performance will be more meaningful.

As a PC gamer it works the same way. If you have your library built on the platform I don't care if any of the consoles has 4090 performance for 400 bucks. A PC upgrade makes more sense.

Reactions: Entropi

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
The whole discussion reminds me of the PSVR2. I know someone on YouTube who guessed the price of the PSVR2 at 300 euros, Sony should finally reach the mass market and compete with the Quest 2. I always told him he was crazy and Sony would not install the latest technology and then accept a loss per unit sold. The same with the PS5 Pro. They will not sell the console at a loss. What I miss in the whole discussion is a sober consideration of whether the Pro is worth the price. This can probably only be said conclusively when Digital Foundry and Co. can release games themselves. The Sony first party developers will, as with the PS4 Pro, try to squeeze the maximum possible out of the Pro. I still hope that by the end of the month we will finally get to see some of Death Stranding 2, which will hopefully run on the Pro and already point in the right direction.

Otherwise, I think the criticism and discussion about the price is completely overloaded. MS is releasing a 2TB version of the XSX for 600 dollars. Even if I absolutely need the drive, the Pro will cost me about $800. $200 more than the XSX, but with significantly more performance than the XSX. Of course that's a lot of money, but if the package is worth the money, there's no point in the discussion. Sony isn't obliged to sell a product below value. If you can't or don't want to afford that, you should just stick with the PS5 standard. When GTA6 is advertised with the Pro, almost everyone will change their mind and buy the Pro anyway. I think some are just angry because that's a clear sign of where the price of the next generation is going and that physical media will continue to be neglected. But here too, what should Sony do? Sell every PS5 Pro with a drive for $750, even though over 80% of the games sold are bought digitally? Sony will certainly have analyzed the market, and with the Dualsense Edge and Portal they were right about the price. With the Dualsense Edge, the same hooligans criticized the price and said no one would buy it because it was too expensive. Was there a similar discussion with Apple and Samsung when their premium versions of iPad and smartphone came out? Why do they act as if video game consoles are children's toys that shouldn't be as expensive as similar products on the market?

I could understand the criticism when the Pro was released and there were hardly any visible differences to the PS5 versions, but on paper the Pro is apparently by far the most powerful console, landing roughly in the upper mid-range PC. And how much does an upper mid-range PC cost? $1200-1600? In any case, I would hope that some people would just wait with their statements until we have seen more comparison videos. If Remedy tweets that the Alan Wake 2 Pro version runs and looks great, then I am optimistic that the PS5 Pro offers more than the PS4 Pro, which only offered checkerboard rendering.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The whole discussion reminds me of the PSVR2. I know someone on YouTube who guessed the price of the PSVR2 at 300 euros, Sony should finally reach the mass market and compete with the Quest 2. I always told him he was crazy and Sony would not install the latest technology and then accept a loss per unit sold. The same with the PS5 Pro. They will not sell the console at a loss. What I miss in the whole discussion is a sober consideration of whether the Pro is worth the price. This can probably only be said conclusively when Digital Foundry and Co. can release games themselves. The Sony first party developers will, as with the PS4 Pro, try to squeeze the maximum possible out of the Pro. I still hope that by the end of the month we will finally get to see some of Death Stranding 2, which will hopefully run on the Pro and already point in the right direction.

Otherwise, I think the criticism and discussion about the price is completely overloaded. MS is releasing a 2TB version of the XSX for 600 dollars. Even if I absolutely need the drive, the Pro will cost me about $800. $200 more than the XSX, but with significantly more performance than the XSX. Of course that's a lot of money, but if the package is worth the money, there's no point in the discussion. Sony isn't obliged to sell a product below value. If you can't or don't want to afford that, you should just stick with the PS5 standard. When GTA6 is advertised with the Pro, almost everyone will change their mind and buy the Pro anyway. I think some are just angry because that's a clear sign of where the price of the next generation is going and that physical media will continue to be neglected. But here too, what should Sony do? Sell every PS5 Pro with a drive for $750, even though over 80% of the games sold are bought digitally? Sony will certainly have analyzed the market, and with the Dualsense Edge and Portal they were right about the price. With the Dualsense Edge, the same hooligans criticized the price and said no one would buy it because it was too expensive. Was there a similar discussion with Apple and Samsung when their premium versions of iPad and smartphone came out? Why do they act as if video game consoles are children's toys that shouldn't be as expensive as similar products on the market?

I could understand the criticism when the Pro was released and there were hardly any visible differences to the PS5 versions, but on paper the Pro is apparently by far the most powerful console, landing roughly in the upper mid-range PC. And how much does an upper mid-range PC cost? $1200-1600? In any case, I would hope that some people would just wait with their statements until we have seen more comparison videos. If Remedy tweets that the Alan Wake 2 Pro version runs and looks great, then I am optimistic that the PS5 Pro offers more than the PS4 Pro, which only offered checkerboard rendering.
Holy shit did I see a sane measured take, we don't do that on the internet in 2024 dear sir

Stop No GIF by Blue Studios

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023

I could understand the criticism when the Pro was released and there were hardly any visible differences to the PS5 versions, but on paper the Pro is apparently by far the most powerful console, landing roughly in the upper mid-range PC. And how much does an upper mid-range PC cost? $1200-1600? In any case, I would hope that some people would just wait with their statements until we have seen more comparison videos. If Remedy tweets that the Alan Wake 2 Pro version runs and looks great, then I am optimistic that the PS5 Pro offers more than the PS4 Pro, which only offered checkerboard rendering

A brilliant and nuanced opinion. Something much needed here at the moment after an infusion of simplistic one dimensional characters.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It’s the same as the Slim. The horizontal stand thingy is included, but not the vertical stand.
Ok that makes sense. People saying it comes with no stand made me think they are selling it without something to place it.

People comparing it to Apple, but I dont see the comparison. I own a macbook pro, iphone etc but they are overpriced for the parts.

PC will always be cheaper to build than a mac technically or a hackintosh lol. But PS5 Pro parts arent cheaper if you buy them for the PC? So not the same comparison

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t consider these prices ludicrous compared to what some folks spend on iPhones every year and the mileage I get from these consoles.

I am also not going to be like “Sony is greedy har har” because it’s never so simple when the prices of all products has been skyrocketing.

I do admit I was kinda ready for this thing to be expensive so whatever I’m still there day one.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I did at first but eventually I just realized it's easier to fit in the entertainment center horizontally so I just do that.
Only one I was tempted with was PS2 but I just like the look more horizontal

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m not convinced ordering direct from PlayStation is the best bet for timely delivery based on anecdotal stuff friends have experienced in the past

Best Buy has usually been great for this kind of stuff and I scored my launch ps5 from Walmart I think.

I’m hoping it’s expensive enough were pre-ordering won’t feel like a dice roll. I 404’d with that initial ps5 order but it still went thru. And it came it exactly when it should’ve. Sigh… not looking forward to the madness

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Discourse around this was quite interesting. The internet reacted as if PS6 got announced starting at $700, complaining about the price of a premium version of an already expensive console is outta pocket to me. Nobody is forcing you to get the expensive version, you can get a base at half the price. Price seems to be in line with the spec upgrade... Im convinced a lot of you just want Sony to hand out consoles for free. And then the "buy a PC" crowd.... yes if price is an issue why recommend something that's almost twice as expensive? My launch ps5 has a $200 SSD installed in it, so technically I already spent $700 on the damn thing.

I remember this with PS Portal, even Dualsense edge.... for some reason it always feels as if the internet gaming space actually wants LESS options these days.

Last edited: